Kudos to Koss Headphones for their unlimited warranty!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I would say there is a bit more high level and bass extension but this could be the fit as they are over the ear and have the oil filled ear cushions. This seems to help quite a bit with all aspects of the sound. It is definitely a rich and full sound with great midrange. The snug fit is all important I believe.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

Thanks!

3. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Your welcome! Happy Thanksgiving fella.

action pact likes this.
  4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Well after 12 months of procrastination, I finally sent my porta-pros in for repair (the right channel was shorted-out) along with the check for $9. Approx 10 days later, they're back! I feel the same way as action pact: I think these may be a completely new set of headphones. They are all shiny, clean, scratchless. Either they are brand new or a perfect refurb set.

Next time I'm preparing to purchase a new higher-end set of cans I'll certainly be shopping with Koss.

Prophetzong and Billy Infinity like this.
  5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Their sweet spot really is in the bang for the buck category. I've heard a couple of their moderately priced headphones and they don't sound that great compared to similarly priced headphones.

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Their ESP 950 electrostatic headphone hits a sweet spot. MSRP is $1000, but goes on sale for less. A really neat headphone if you're willing to commit to an electrostat setup and consider getting a better electrostat amp later. Koss is able to compete in the higher end as well.

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Yes, but there's really nothing worthwhile between the Portapro and the ESP 950

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

True. I'd like to see some good new headphones from them that compete at some higher price points than the Porta Pro.

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Koss has done poorly this year and had a disastrous quarter in the most recent months. Sales revenue was down better than 37% from last year; the company lost .29 per share and has completely cut its dividend. Here's the company press release:

http://seekingalpha.com/pr/10873315-koss-reports-loss-for-the-year?app=n

I hope that doesn't mean doom; Koss has been such a fixture on the audio landscape for so long, it would feel wrong not to have it around. But Koss is a tiny company, and I can't imagine that it can withstand such results for long. I gather that it already had to weather a major embezzlement by one of its corporate officers a few years back, which certainly will not help it now. How all this will affect those lifetime warranties I can't say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.