Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett reveal details about their new joint album"Lotta Sea Lice" (10/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

so excited about this release... I just stumbled upon it while searching for something else.. Friday the 13th... love it

2. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Yeah, great guitar player. Sorry, can't answer the JJ Cale question - I've never read or watched an interview with Kurt Vile and confess to not knowing much about JJ's music myself.

I can tell you that KV doesn't play all the guitars though. According to the record's liner notes on that track he plays acoustic, electric and lead guitar; Rob Laakso plays bass and electric 12 string and Jesse Trbovich also plays electric guitar.

Cheers

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yeah, I know about Amazon's policy -- and it makes sense -- but I ordered the LP from Bandcamp, so I was able to download in CD quality while I wait for delivery.

4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Did you hear the KCRW set, and if so, did the live versions improve on the studio ones in your opinion?

I've only listened to the album once -- I'm still on a Tom Petty kick -- but I liked it a lot. I added a couple of Kurt songs and the two songs of each other's that they cover to fill out the playlist -- oh, and Courtney's Grateful Dead track, which I had forgotten about. Fits right in! I also ripped the KCRW audio, but I have to clean up the tracks and piece it all together. Looking forward to getting to know these two as a duo...

tstrapac likes this.
  5. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

It's actually a great duet - on Belly's Star tour the opening band's lead singer on some of the US dates occasionally came out to join Tonya Donnelly on it...
    he was a slight bloke called Thom Yorke from a then little-known combo called Radiohead!
    They were touring for their debut album too.

inaptitude and emollerstuen like this.
  6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I saw that tour! They didn’t duet at our show but those were I think Radiohead’s first us shows. At the time we thought belly would be huge and Radiohead one hit wonders

Rupe33 likes this.
  7. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

I picked this up on the strength of the two "singles" they released prior to its official release. I knew of Vile and Barnett but didn't really know their music. I am diggin' this record a ton! And the thing that really got me was the Belly cover. They were my favorite band of the 90s and still hold a very special place in my heart (and am anxiously awaiting their new record).

Rupe33 likes this.
  8. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I have only had a chance to spin this one once. I had some doubts but i ended up loving it so much.

Got tickets for Chicago later this month, i am for sure excited!

9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Courtney is also a killer guitarist.

10. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Picked this up yesterday and took it for a spin tonight. I quite enjoyed Courtney Barnett's music from recent releases of hers and enjoyed this new LP. I'd never heard Kurt Vile before - he provides a nice foil for Barnett - will have to check out his stuff too. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

notesofachord and scotti like this.
  11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

They've got three Chicago dates according to their official poster. I just found out from that same poster that there IS a Philly show on the tour, and all I could get from TM just now was a single in the loge at the Tower Theater. (Well, butts in upstairs seats is what pays the bills in this business....My butt is doing its bit as a patron of the arts.)

I don't think I'd be bothering if it was just one or the other (CB or KV). But I like the album, and I think it's gonna be a great evening.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  12. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i'm kinda jealous. i like Barnett a lot and have all of her stuff but i'm a sucker for Kurt. man, he's awesome! my personal favorite is the last one but they are all pretty good (the earlier ones maybe slightly less so).

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

How have the concerts been?
    I'm going to the New York and Jersey City ones.

Hope to pick up the CD this week.

14. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

I also got this notice. It looks to be streamed live Mon. Oct 16. 1 PM EST. Pitchfork's homepage, Facebook, YouTube, and livestream.com. I hope one of these will work for me.

15. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I got lucky and grabbed tickets for The Empty Bottle in Chicago. It's pretty small venue. I hate going to concert halls where you sit in a seat.

I've seen Courtney 3 times now and always enjoy her shows immensely. Haven't gotten around to seeing Kurt but always liked him.

16. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Wow, EXCELLENT album. Love the sound.

17. WesB

WesB Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the quality of the US and/or the UK vinyl pressing? I can't decide whether to go for the US copy or the UK import that is pressed at Optimal Media.

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

The US copy was cut at Sterling and sounds really good. I have not compared, but since the US was cut at a good plant, I am sure either one would be fine. Could not see how there would be much difference if any.

I wanted to spend a few listens before my comments. I really like this album a lot and was surprised by the amount of electric guitar on it. Been in to Courtney since she first released "A Sea of Split Peas" and got to see her in a small club in Atlanta. Really like her live as well.

Knew who Kurt Vile was, but to be honest, never really listened to his music (that will change). Was expecting this to be more laid back (not saying it rocks loud either), based on outside feedback posted elsewhere. These two are a perfect match for each other and I love the way they feed off each other and have fun going back and forth with the vocals.

What I wan not expecting were songs like "Fear Is Like A Forest" where I was expecting Neil Young to start singing right after the guitar intro. Just screams a laid back Crazy Horse vibe, very cool! Besides the two lead off tracks, another favorite is "On Script". But have to confess to liking every song on it. Its short and sweet, old school vinyl release...This is one heck of a fun listen. Could sit outside and just enjoy this awesome soundtrack to the cool Fall weather!

19. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I have a copy coming in from amazon.co.uk so will let you know

WesB and budwhite like this.
  20. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Kurt and Courtney are both known as fans of sprawling guitar solos. Most of Kurt's albums have at least one or two extended lead guitar workouts on them.

21. Chop

Chop Forum Resident

Pitchfork ran a live stream of them yesterday playing in Malibu via Facebook. Pretty great jams. And Janet Weiss on drums!

Not sure how to link it since it's on Facebook. I know you can just search for it though.

22. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

This album has been a huge grower for me. Thought this album would rock a little harder but I've really nestled into the folksy, cozy corners of these songs. Courtney's cover of "Peepin' Tom" particularly slays me. One of the best vocal performances I've ever heard from her -- arguably better than Kurt's version! Look forward to catching the show -- on Halloween, no less! Spooooooky.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  23. tstrapac

tstrapac Forum Resident

Fun and mellow. Mostly songs from the new album, and then a few songs from their previous albums. I think maybe 2 songs from Kurt and 2 songs from Courtney from past albums.

Less rocking than a normal Courtney show, never seen Kurt before.

From the Orpheum in LA: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Still loving this record. My friend just saw them in LA and thought they were flat. Felt maybe this is early in the tour and not tight together yet.

gkella likes this.
  25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

You took the words right out of my mouth !!
    First listen, I loved it.
    It looks like a grower !!
    I was familiar with Courtney from her first album.
    Knew nothing about Kurt Vile..will have to check out some of his stuff.

Urban Spaceman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.