L.A. to Vegas

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

how in the world did they get dyan mcdermott to be in this show? he must have really owed someone somewhere a really big favor.

it is positively wretched, i am serious wretched in every sense of the word.

and the blond lead, kim matula, might be the worst actress ever to be on a nighttime TV network show.

i am serious, this is truly that bad.

TV sitcoms are at the lowest point in history. even will and grace got an emmy nom and it isn't close to the show it used to be.

guy incognito and audiomixer like this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I liked it. And I don't agree with your assessment of current sitcoms. :shrug:

Mainline461 and rogertheshrubber like this.
  3. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

It was OK...

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I like that Peter Stormare gets work!
    A great character actor!

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I agree with him. 100%.

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I can’t say I’m surprised. Dunno why anyone thought this concept would work now when it didn’t work 40 years ago.

Silver Surfer likes this.
  7. rjp

How on earth do you not find current sitcom the totally asinine and juvenile to the point of stupidity?

audiomixer likes this.
  8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

100% in agreement. When I watch a show and it overlaps into one of those insidious and inane comedies, I literally get up and leave the room. I can't stand them!

9. rjp

Today's sitcoms are an insult to American intelligence and to top it off they throw in a laugh track to tell you what is funny. This LA to Vegas show is by far the worst of them all. And the girl.shame on them is forced to play the stereotypical "dumb blond" and McDermott is the stereotypical drunk. I can't imagine it being on the air very long at all, but the equally horrible modern family keeps hanging around, so who knows

10. OldSoul

You just named two shows that don't use laugh tracks after complaining shows do... To top it off, way more sitcoms used audiences and laugh tracks from the '50s-'90s than now, so did you like them back then? Or have you never liked any sitcoms? Or are you wearing rose-colored glasses?

Mainline461, Deesky and agentalbert like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The promos looked super horrible so I decided not to bother. I don’t watch much major tv anymore outside of sports. Sit coms are way off my radar these days.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I haven't see it, but the short promo looked interesting enough. Most shows about airlines glamorize it. A show about loser pilots on a budget airline could be funny. All depends how you write it. I don't have cable anymore, but I'll try to at least check out the pilot for this somehow.

13. OldSoul

Hulu has it. I don't know what, if anything, you can watch on Hulu for free anymore, though.

14. rjp

i used to like them (and quit trying to find fault with me, you know exactly where i was going, totally) but since seinfeld, nothing has intrigued me other the first couple of years of modern family and then manny grew up, and now they are trying like hell to make the new little kid a little manny and it just ain't working.

and if you really believe in your heart that LA to vegas is funny i feel sorry for you, you need to get some true humor in your life.

15. OldSoul

I was trying to clarify yiur opinion so I could see where you were coming from, not find fault with you. You, however, are being quite aggressive, and trying to find fault in me.

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

they did ok

vince, maclen, guy incognito and 3 others like this.
  17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

does anyone remember the Pan Am show a few years ago? it wasn't bad (more of a dramedy) a bit overreaching (I think they knew it was a hard sell) don't think it made a full season. did have a prefame margot Robbie

[​IMG]

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Watched the first episode. Won't be watching any more.

On the other hand, another FOX show that premiered last week was fabulous: 9-1-1 on Wednesdays. That one did well in the ratings too.

19. rjp

then we shall agree to disagree, because this is going nowhere.:targettiphat:

another time and another place maybe.

audiomixer likes this.
  20. agentalbert

Just watched the first episode of this and found it funny enough I'll watch more. I hope Kether Donohue (estranged wife of the British passenger) is in more. She's my favorite part of the FXX show You're The Worst.

Mainline461 likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's not a great sitcom, but I like it just enough to keep watching (like say Superior Donuts). It's supposed to be a Dylan McDermott vehicle for comedy, but he's actually the least funny character (ie, no Leslie Nielsen). For me, the heart and soul of the show is Ronnie (Kim Matula). She just eats the camera and keeps me watching.

22. OldSoul

After the first episode, I actually became increasingly less impressed with the show and started to concede that the OP was right. Before watching last week's episode, I told myself that it would be the "make or break" moment, for me, and sure enough, it was the funniest episode since the pilot, in my opinion. :shrug: Guess I'll give it 'til the end of the season, unless this is a Great News moment and it turns it the show is only capable of chugging out one worthwhile episode every two months.
    At the end of the day, I like to have something to watch while folding laundry, and it's best if that something is more like background noise, so if you're curious why I would continue to watch a show I don't always find that funny, that's the reason.

23. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Agree....had the displeasure of stumbling onto Kevin Can Wait...I can't believe that anyone would think this show is remotely funny or even appealing. Kevin James has to be the luckiest man on earth...and it is difficult to even look at Leah Rimini. It looks like her face will just explode at any minute. They don't even make the effort to find good supporting characters anymore...the show after this starring Matt LeBlanc, which also sucks, seems like Cheers compared to Kevin Can Wait.

24. agentalbert

Yeah, I haven't seen her before, but she's good and seems like she can mostly carry the show. The stripper is mostly one-note, but she's likable and very cute. Pete Stormare (the gambler) plays great creeps, but it doesn't seem like they'll have him go too far down that road in this show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.