Lady Gaga Playing John Lennon's 'White Piano' Irks Beatles Fans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Speaking of famous Pianos...........

By Soraya Roberts
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

- Lady Gaga's stirring up controversy yet again -- but this time all she did was play a little piano. A photo of the "Bad Romance" crooner seated at John Lennon's famous white Steinway recently hit the Web, and Beatles fans are up in arms.

John's son Sean Lennon posted the photo on Twitter with the caption: "With gaga at mom's house, she's belting on the white piano..." The instrument was a gift from The Beatles' frontman to Sean's mother, Yoko Ono, and it sits out in the open at Yoko's home.

In the pic, the singer wears typically skimpy Gaga-gear (a skintight body suit and thigh-high fishnets) while singing and tickling away at the keys. The image drew an outcry from some Beatles fans who considered Gaga unworthy of the iconic instrument. .

One fan responded to Sean's Twitpic, saying, "WHY WOULD YOU LET LADY GAGA PLAY ON JOHN'S PIANO? I'm disappointed. :mad:".

To which the youngest Lennon replied, "pianos meant are to be played. Why is everyone so uptight? What should we do, lock it away in a dusty room? So judgmental..." .

Sean eventually took the photo down and used his Twitter page to once again respond to the criticisms, saying, "Firstly, he gave that piano to my mother for her birthday, it is hers, secondly, he was not uptight the way you seem to be," adding, "Come on, lighten up...life's too short, there're enough real problems in the world...."

Lady Gaga may not have attained John Lennon's cult status yet, but she certainly knows how to play a piano. The pop star was classically trained in the instrument from the age of 4, to prodigal results. Gaga began giving concerts in elementary school and wrote her first keyboard ballad at 13 . The Lady continued her musical education through college, majoring in the subject at NYU..

The "Paparazzi" superstar is also a noted fan of John Lennon and The Beatles. While performing at the Human Rights Campaign's National Dinner in 2009, Gaga played Lennon's 1971 sensation "Imagine."

Attached Files:

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

So ****ing what, does it matter!! People are really sad if a trival thing like that upsets them:rolleyes:

3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Someones knickers are in a twist sounds like. That's what a piano's for!

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:thumbsup:

5. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree..... And she is a classically trained pianist.

6. Gatos21

Gatos21 Member

I'd have to agree with Sean's comments. It's a piano and she's playing it. Nice to see it getting some use, and by someone that knows how to play it. To tell you the truth, I'd have like to have heard her.

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Lucky piano seat.

8. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

If Gaga's a Beatles fan and Sean and Yoko approved of her playing the piano Beatles purists have nothing to complain about and they should make better use of their time.

9. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

"With gaga at mom's house, she's belting on the white piano..."

Was she playing ragtime?

10. Gatos21

Gatos21 Member

I'm more interested in knowing what she was doing hanging out with Sean and Yoko.

11. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I like her dress. Or slip... or whatever it is. :)

12. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

"The image drew an outcry from some Beatles fans who considered Gaga unworthy of the iconic instrument. ."

Let's never forget it was a fan who put John in his current state of not being able to play his own piano.

No wonder he wanted out of the Beatles.

Marble Index likes this.
  13. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Who are these Beatle "fans" that are getting upset? I care about this almost as much as I care for Lady Gaga herself, i.e. not at all

14. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

Beatles fans get over it Lady Gaga is a big fan of the Beatles. Lady Gaga has admitted the Beatles' "Abbey Road" Inspired Her Debut Album "The Fame". It's not a big deal.

15. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Play that piano baby!

I'm neither a fan or a detractor of Gaga, but I'm sure she got a kick out of it - she knew that was not any piano. She is a fan. Maybe that's one reason she is so pouplar; she has sense of history.

Sheite - I can't even play the piano and I would love to belt out "chopsticks" on that sucker.

16. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

:thumbsup:

17. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I don't know much about Gaga but her piano version of her Paparazzi song is wonderful; I saw it on some TV show when channel-hopping. I'd pay good money to see her play that on John's piano or anyone else's!

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yeah, I saw this on the Yahoo home page. Didn't bother to read it. There is a video clip there as well.

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Yea...the masses dig that! :D

20. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

Let's not get our knickers in a twist over a newspaper getting its knickers in a twist over a couple of posts on the internet.

21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I could care who plays the Piano .... why does she have to wear Underwear everywhere?

Looks at me !! Notice me trying to get Noticed!!! Weeeeeeeee !!!:wave:

22. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I agree. Ignorant tabloid readers, indeed no Beatle "fans". Sean Lennon can't say anything without getting pathetic reactions from those people, and I'm really surprised he still takes the trouble to reply to them. And let me guess, they didn't gave Sean's new release any attention. Instead they are filling the papers with this nonsense.

23. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I generally wear underwear everywhere... just not as over wear.

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Move along now, nothing to see here . . .

Oy!

25. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

The Beatles didn't have a frontman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.