Larger than LP turntable platter?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Murphy13, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have seen numerous TTs where platter is smaller than an LP. Did anyone make a TT with the platter way larger than an LP?

2. John76

John76 Forum Resident

EMT 927F

[​IMG]

bluemooze and tin ears like this.
  3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Years ago I remember seeing Gates turntables in a couple of radio stations. IIRC the platter were larger than 12 inches. Probably 15 or 16 inches?

4. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Yes some broadcast turntables were equipped with 16" platters for transcription records.

Bill Hart likes this.
  5. Murphy13

That is a piece of art. I am assuming 2nd tone arm for mono or 78's?

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, and if you must ask it's price, you know the rest. EMT 927F, the Rolls-Royce of Idler Driven transcription turntables. Cost in excess of $8,000 new in early 1960's money.

7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

:drool:

8. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I am open to correction on this but I think SME had an 'oversize' platter on one of its models in the recent past? I seem to recall somebody telling me later that they had gone back to regular size afterwards though. I would not favour a larger than normal platter at all as it would make 'centering' discs on the spindle more difficult than it ought to be. Apart from the turntables used by radio stations I cannot think of any other turntables that used larger than standard platters.

9. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

IIRC, there was also a JVC TT with what looks like a 14'' platter.

10. Murphy13

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

They are tanks. Cost was no object build and engineering when European State Radio broadcasters had pretty well unlimited budgets to spend.

12. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

There are several aftermarket modders who make oversized platters for the Garrard 301 and 401 (though not as large as the one in the EMT picture above).

13. ocd1

ocd1 Well-Known Member

I posted this ques some time ago. One member responded that a larger than lp platter would make it hard to grip the lp to remove it fr the platter. Never occurred to me.

14. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Just try removing a 10" EP from an acrylic 12" platter, when you have no nails!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.