Late-night horror hosts

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Paradiddle, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Inspired by the thread on local kid show TV hosts and also in the spirit of Halloween, I thought I'd start a thread on late-night horror hosts. I grew up in central IL in the 70s and 80s so am actually too young and was in the wrong location to experience watching Creature Features, Chiller Theatre, or other similar shows but I'm still fascinated by the phenomenon nonetheless. It would be great to have others share their childhood memories of watching these and other local horror shows. Here in the Bay Area I hear about Bob Wilkins and what a great host he was but not growing up here I can't relate to watching the show as a kid. The closest I can come is religiously watching Saturday Nightmares on the USA Network at my dad's house every other Saturday night (my mom didn't have cable) in the mid-late 80s. It didn't have a live host but I have fond memories of being introducted to such cheesy flicks such as Vampire Circus, Squirm, and Demon Wind. ;)

2. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Coming home on a Saturday night in the 80's was always fun when Tales From The Darkside was on!!

RickH likes this.
  3. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Here in the South Texas, the local CBS affiliate ran their spookshow, BOO for about 20 something years from the '60's to the mid to late 80's. After they stopped that they still showed genre pics like Robot Monster and Creature from the Black Lagoon until they disappeared in the early 90's in a wave of infomercials and sports.

4. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

It was on Saturdays in your area? I remember down here it was on Sundays.

5. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

USA had Commander USA's Groovy Videos and for a period of time, TBS had "Grandpa" Al Lewis' Super Scary Saturday.

Of Course, there was Elvira also.

Dino likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Back in the 1960s, we had "Shock Armstrong, The All-American Ghoul" in Tampa at WTVT. This was on Shock Theater, which was Friday nights from 11:30PM to about 2AM. Great show. I saw all the Universal classics during that period, from 1964-1968 or so.

[​IMG]

The horror host was played by Paul Reynolds, a sports broadcaster (and former Top 40 DJ) who also worked for the station. Shock's gimmick was that he lived up in the attic of an old house, and whenever his "mother" would bother him, he'd get her to come up the stairs and dump an entire vat of boiling oil on her (or some other hideous substance). Of course, that always happened off-camera. Hey, it was funny in 1964. This was also the heyday of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, which was a huge fan favorite for horror buffs during the 1960s.

After Reynolds left the station in 1968, the show continued without a host for another six years, but finally went off the air in 1974. My old pal Mike Clark has a great write-up on Shock Theater at this link on his excellent Big 13 website.

7. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Lived there, watched that. Dry tongue-in-cheek host. It was a funny show not spooky at all.

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

In Portland, there was a woman named "Tarantula Ghoul" presenting horror films in the late 1950s and early 1960s, and she was quite attractive. In the 1970s, a couple of local radio guys (Victor Ives and Jimmy Hollister) presented "Sinister Cinema" on TV.

9. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

What about Elvira? She was always a funny scary host. Does anyone remember her?

ssmith3046 likes this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Round here we had Sir Graves Ghastly , though
    he was on in the afternoon i think , and of course
    the Ghoul

beatlesfan68 likes this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

[​IMG]

ArpMoog likes this.
  13. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Closest I can remember growing up is when Irv Weinstein used to say, "Stay tuned for our Fright Night feature" at 11.30 Fridays on Channel 7 in Buffalo. Always liked Irv.

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Fright Night. KHJ'-TV Channel 9''s late night horror show. Starring Larry "Seymour" Vincent.

Jeff Joseph of SabuCat has the greatest stories about Seymour. Legendary wacky stuff..

buzzzx likes this.
  17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

18. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Sir Graves was Saturday afternoon. No one beats the Ghoul. Especially with the sound effects. Froggy says "Hi-ya, hi-ya, hi-ya!"

beatlesfan68 likes this.
  19. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

It started showing on Saturday nights....it may have moved to another day and time later...

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sammy Terry, host of WTTV/Bloomington IN's Midnite Theater

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Supreme Beings Of Leisure - Never The Same

Attached Files:

Sneaky Pete and Mr. E. Tramp like this.
  21. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

She's back, in a syndicated show.

22. orthobiz

orthobiz Forum Resident

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

24. James RD

James RD Senior Member

You should share some of those stories. A friend of mine met him a few times. Seymour was a real character. :)

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

For two decades, starting in the 1970s, Tampa had a sort of cheap, imitation Zacherle with "Dr. Paul Bearer" on WTOG, Channel 44's "Creature Feature":

[​IMG]

He did the show on a tiny, tiny set, like maybe 15' across, but they used very wide-angle lenses to make it look much bigger on TV. I was astonished to visit the station and see how small that studio was (and I was actually a camera operator at the time). He was a very nice man, and I think Creature Feature might have been one of the longest-running hosted horror-movie shows in America, from 1973-1995.

And who could forget the great Ernie Anderson as horror-host "Ghoulardi" in Cleveland?

[​IMG]

hidden1one likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.