Latest on Beatles Anthology DVDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

That's part of it, but even among the more astute, there seems to be an inordinate amount of concern about uneven burn-in for widescreen projection systems.

Regards,

2. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

I was being facetious. (But you knew that.) You're right, of course. But from what I've heard, burn-in is a valid concern if you have a rear-projection set, more so than with direct-view and other types of TVs, and even if you have the contrast turned down to a sensible level.

Anyway, I really hope they don't do a "fake widescreen" hatchet job on the Anthology DVDs like they did with Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live". Two big disappointments in a month is more than I can bear.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree...Blame it on the Moaninjoan12pacs...they cry the loudest!

4. Michael

If it's Full frame...leave it ALONE!!!
    Don't Ronco it...

5. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

20/20 aired it, too, though the anchor talked over a lot of it. But it sure is worth a look, for those who haven't seen it! That last freeze shot of. . .well, I won't spoil it for you.

GM

6. Michael

So? The astute (elite's a better term) should'nt rule the roost...my heart bleeds for them. Leave it alone if it's full frame/open matte.

7. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Best Buy pre-orders are $52.99 and an April Fool's Day release date!

GM:D

8. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Here is the information on the bonus disc as listed on Amazon.com....

Bonus disc of rare and never-before-seen footage, including:

Recollections (June 1994): Paul, George, and Ringo spend a summer's day together singing, playing and warmly remembering the early days

Back at Abbey Road (May 1995): Paul, George, and Ringo at Abbey Road Studios with George Martin, play back the multi-tracks of some of their classic recordings and reveal the inventive techniques used during the original sessions

Recording "Free as a Bird" & "Real Love": Paul, George, and Ringo, along with Jeff Lynne discuss the story behind these recordings - includes intimate footage of them at work in the studio

Real Love Video: The video not screened as part of the original Anthology series, now in glorious 5.1 surround sound

Compiling the Anthology Albums: Paul, George, Ringo, and George Martin talk about how the three Anthology double albums were compiled

Making the "Free as a Bird" video: An intriguing insight from director Joe Pytka into how the Grammy Award winning video was created

Production Team: The team behind the Anthology series discuss how the programmes were made

No "Hey Bulldog" video:(

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

VH1 ran that "Hey Bulldog" video a time or two as well, I was able to tape it without the narration that marred the 20/20 showing.

That footage was originally used as a promo film for "Lady Madonna" back in the 60's, hence it being included in the Anthology in that form. It was only re-edited and synchronized with "Hey Bulldog" several years after Anthology. I imagine they felt no need to include a modern day promo that was produced in conjunction with another project.

Another of those promo videos that'll probably never see video release (along with "Love Me Do," "Baby It's You," etc.) We're probably lucky to get "Real Love" (though even that one appears in it's revised cut).

10. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I was hoping for that Hey Bulldog video too. Wasnt it only like 2 minutes long? I hope they put it in as an Easter Egg or something. Oops, no religious discussion, I meant bunny egg.

11. Michael

Hopefully more than one...egg!

12. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

13. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Chris--thank you so much for posting this link. I was able to see the "Hey Bulldog" video for the first time. I missed the Vh1 broadcasts and the 20/20 airing. What a cool little video! Sure would be nice if this were included on the Anthology DVDs. Hopefully, Apple has a "Complete Beatles Videos" collection in the pipeline. I also hope they release it in our lifetimes! Thanks again.

14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Chris,

thanks for that link!!!

I searched about a year ago and came up with nothing. Now I've finally seen the film I'm eager for more!

Does anyone know if the film crew recorded sound during the shoot? If so there would be the whole session to watch. Presumably, the EMI master was not left running between takes but maybe the 10 takes are all in existence somewhere? If not, and if the film crew weren't recording sound, then the session will not be worth watching :(

Anyway, at least I've seen it at last! If they don't put this on the Anthology DVD then what's the point of the bonus disc? I hope it isn't just mid 90's stuff as Wonderwall has hinted.

15. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Well, we know that there has been some restoration work done to some video/film and we know there have been excellent "modern" remixes of some songs specifically for the restored footage. Some of the results are seen in the Anthology videos.

Given the fact that the videos are purposely incomplete on Anthology it seems to me that they are saving them for a separate release in the future.

16. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, it seems a little strong to call the bonus disc contents pointless (and from what I've seen, Wonderwall's line-up is accurate). An hour and a half of supplemental material from the 90's doesn't sound at all bad to me, I'd buy it separately if it were offered, and I'm excited about seeing it. It'll probably be the part I watch first, actually. And while I share some of your disappointment that there'll be no more vintage material included, I do consider an extra hour and a half of footage, including probably our last look at these three men performing together, to be quite sufficient, if not perfect.
    :)

17. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

I guess I should have been clearer, the price at Future Shop or Best Buy _in Canada_ should be $70-75 CDN (about $48 US), with HMV showing it at $79.99 CDN.

Cliff

18. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

Isn't the Hey Bulldog video on Yellow Submarine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.