Laurie Strode returns in "Halloween" (October 19, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

[​IMG]

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I never made it thru the first one and had more than one attempt at it. Maybe I should try it again but I would probably have the same results thinking " I should just pull out the dvd and watch the original first 2".

kevywevy and Encuentro like this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I’ve never even tried them. I rarely do remakes of films that I grew up with. Then again, I haven’t even tried Halloween: Resurrection. For my money, the original Halloween and it’s immediate sequel are the perfect package. The story was complete. But the financial incentive makes it difficult for filmmakers and studios to just let it go. Even the eminent Steven Spielberg couldn’t let Indiana Jones go after declaring the third film “The Last Crusade” and having Indy ride off into the sunset. Hats off to Robert Zemeckis for not attempting to relaunch the Back to the Future series.Thats a rarity when it comes to major franchises.

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The problem I had with the Zombie Remake(1st One) was that he tried to provide a backstory on Michael Myers and why he turned out the way he did(killing small animals as a kid, so seemed to me typical of any Serial Murderer). The whole idea of the Original Version by Carpenter to me is that Myers after being in the Asylum as a kid, became a mystery and was more of a Supernatural Beast in a way(who gets shot and fall from the top floor of a house, then disappears right away-that was a Great Ending).

enro99 and kevywevy like this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

I actually thought H20 was the 2nd Best Movie in the Series, and would rate it at least 7-8 out of 10 although YMMV.

6. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I wrote this a few months ago, but I continue to be apprehensive about the new film. I like the general direction and tone and all of that. But *numerous* bits shown in the trailers are ripped off from the various sequels, and I sense that many "new era" "horror" fans aren't familiar with the film series beyond (maybe) the original. So they don't know that gas station/mechanic thing is a total rip from "Halloween 4", or that the bathroom stall scene is *nearly identical* (as it's presented in the trailer) to a very similar scene in "Halloween H20."

And yeah, even though this new film supposedly ignores *all* of the sequels (even II), the plot seems to be (perhaps unavoidably) somewhat like "Halloween H20", only with a less passive and more aggressive version of Laurie Strode.

But I remain optimistic that this thing won't just come across as a big epic fan film/tribute sort of thing.

7. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Sorry to say it but you will be disappointed with this film.

8. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Have you seen it?

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, I remember I really liked it, too.

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

11. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

12. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

It's got a "66" overall score on Metacritic: Halloween

Some outlets, like EW and the Toronto paper, really liked it, others not as much. Seems to me that if you're a fan of the series, you're going to enjoy this.

I did read an ending online which, if true, actually does need to skip part2 to work (and it's not the sister stuff.)

13. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Yes

14. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The whole movie is a homage to the series.
    That can be fun if done sparingly, but for me it was done way too much throughout the movie.
    Basically ever memorable scene in the original movie has been done again here as well.

15. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Am I wrong in thinking Halloween 4 was the 2nd best?

I just honestly think its a great film

eric777, Matthew Tate and mark renard like this.
  16. TheSeldomSeenKid

I enjoy watching 4 & 5 every few years just for Popcorn Fun Type Movies to watch(I bought them for a low price on DVD), but just not nearly as good as H20(I rank 2nd Best) and '2'(I rand 3rd Best) but as they say-YMMV.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Love 4. It gets messy at 5, but I can and do enjoy all of the films anyhow

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Saw a trailer before a film last night, and Jamie came across as a badass.

19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

They have turned Laurie into Sarah Conner from the looks of things.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

To be fair, they turned her into someone who is not going to be anybody's victim, who has spent the years Jason's been in prison preparing.

21. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Unfortunately, I'm not really a fan of the series. Only the original. Not sure I've seen any after the 4th one.

22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

While I do enjoty 4 the lame mask kills it for me. However, there is a scene in 4 that uses a different mask with blonde hair which looks a little more than the original:

[​IMG]

23. MikaelaArsenault

I wonder who else is in this movie besides Jamie and the same guy who played Michael Myers in the original movie.

24. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

The return of Ben Tramer?? :laugh:

25. MikaelaArsenault

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.