"Layla" album: who is the person on this picture?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Metoo, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I just got my copy of the "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" SACD and was looking at the credits when I came upon the photo montage that I remember having seen in the original album (wow! it's been years since I last had seen it).

Now my question is this, does someboy here know who the person on the photo to the left of the one on the lower right conrner is? It has always looked like a girl to me. Is this true? Who is this person?

2. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Oh, I though you wanted to know who Layla was. In which case the answer is Something.

3. Metoo

I suppose you are referring to "Something" as in the George Harrison song that - I understand - was inspired by the same woman Clapton wrote this song to. As for "Layla" IIRC it is the name of a character in a Persian Romeo-and-Juliet-type story.

But who is that person on the photo to the left of the one on the lower right corner of the photo montage in the album?

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Patty Boyd.

5. ketchup

ketchup New Member

Duane Allman ? he doesnt look like a girl though (facial hair...) maybe i'm looking at the wrong pic

6. Sckott

Yeah, then the woman to the left should be Patty.

7. Metoo

Patty Boyd: If that's her she was shurely nice-looking. You are totally sure it is her?

8. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

If you have ever seen the video for Something, the hot blonde with long hair is Patti. She makes a great video even bette. Wasn't the Something video in Anthology?

9. Sckott

Yep.

Patty was also in AHDN and that's how she met George. :love:

10. Metoo

Well, it's taken me 35 years to find out who she was :love:

11. Metoo

12. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Patty Boyd is blond and has blue eyes.

13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Actually, I think you mean the brunette in the third photo from the right in the bottom row. The second photo (the photo immediately to the left of the photo in the lower right corner) is a man with a beard, Duanne Allman, playing the guitar - obviously not a woman.

I do not know who the woman in the third photo is, but she is definitely NOT Patti Boyd.

Patti Boyd was the inspiration for the songs 'Something', written by her husband, George Harrison; and 'Layla', co-written by Harrison's best friend, Eric Clapton, who had fallen in love with her. Later, Boyd left Harrison for Clapton. The Harrisons were divorced and a few years later Boyd and Clapton were married (circa 1979). Harrison, unusually gracious and understanding in the circumstances, blamed neither Boyd nor Clapton, explaining that the marriage had effectively ended before Clapton and Boyd fell in love. George continued his friendship with Clapton until the day he died. Ironically, this relationship lasted longer than either one of their marriages to Ms Boyd.

14. Metoo

Maybe you people have the chance to see this photograph larger than I can as i am looking at it on the SACD. To me it's the one to the left of the one on the bottom corner because, at least as I see it, the Duane Allman picture seems to be part of the image on the corner.

If you look at the photographs of Patty (or Pattie) Boyd in the Web site whose link I posted before, more specifically in the photos with George Harrison, there are about 3 images where she looks quite as in the picture on the album. Two of them are the ones where she is wearing round glasses.

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I have both the LP and the SACD and am looking at the same CD booklet as you are. You will notice that the photo in the lower right corner has a plant on it's left hand border that is cut-off where that photo ends and the next photo begins to its immediate left (that of the bearded Allman playing the guitar). These are two distinct photos. The brunette woman is in the third photo with her head resting in her upturned hand.

But back to the point of your post. No, that is not Patti Boyd. Sorry to disappoint you. Even if you perceive a resemblance between Boyd and the woman in the photo (which I do not and I don't understand why you do), you can see by the background of her photo that it was taken at the same location and time as several of the other photos in the montage, presumably the recording studio while the album was being made. Patti and George were still together at this time. 'Layla' is a song of unrequited love. At this point in time, Patti and Eric were not together. She was not with Clapton in Miami when this album was being recorded; she was home in England with George.

16. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

What he said.

17. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Skip! Just noticed that you've relocated to Moscow, Idaho!

18. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I agree. When I first read this thread last night I pulled out the LP to look. It's probably someones girlfriend or wife.

19. Metoo

20. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Notice the link to my thread on his home page??
    :)
    Peace-
    Norm

21. Metoo

Yep, saw it. You are famous man !!! ;) Maybe if you wrote to him and asked him the question that is the object of this thread he would get back to you.

22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Wasn't Eric going out with Alice Harlech at the time? I don't know what she looks like though.

23. Metoo

Her name was Alice Ormsby-Gore, not quite Alice Harlech. As I understand she passed away. (See here: http://www.coastweb.de/ftp/slowhand/text_info/alice_ormsky_gore.txt)

Here's a picture of her and Clapton them back when they were going out: http://www.wdr.de/themen/kultur/stichtag/2005/03/_img/bild0330_400h.jpg?

Yet, the girl on the album does not look like Alice.

Here's another long quote - from a book I imagine - regarding what was happening back in 1970 - 72 between Clapton and women: http://www.beatles.ru/postman/forum_messages.asp?msg_id=2112&cpage=2

24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Thanks for that info. I can't believe what a web of knowledge this forum is!!

25. Metoo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.