Layla - distortion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Great album. Unfortunately, is flawed sonically.

Do you guys think the SACD 2 channel will be remixed?

Also, the distortion on the vocals of the title track, is that on the original session reels, or was it introduced during the mixdown/mastering?

2. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

what cd or lp version are you using as a reference? :confused:

3. monkboughtlunch

1995 remaster. title track is heavily distorted.

4. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

As is the MoFi.

Ryan

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, unfortunately it was just an awful recording. Still looking forward to the SACD with great anticipation.

6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Genius + Distortion = Tom Dowd and Atlantic

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  7. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

This will never be an "audiophile", or even a good-sounding album, I am afraid:(

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No, it won't.

Enjoy it for the smelly, scratchy goodness it is. Tom Dowd is to blame, but it's too late, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

This SACD is going to sound like a bright version [of the UV22 Apogee CD], I can almost guarantee it (although I'd like to be WRONG) and the RSO 2-CD originally released will smack the heck out of the MFSL any day. Besides, all the weird banding mistakes and sloppiness matches the Atco LP and the RSO LP. The remix and reissues that came after tried to "Correct" those errors by changing EQ and quick fadeouts.

Check on eBay for those RSO Polygram 2-CD sets from the mid-80's. They can be had for next to nothing and will change how you feel about this album.

If you don't hear lots of tape hiss during "I Looked Away", something's wrong.

9. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Agreed. I like it for the way it sounds ... the issue is how to present the distortion.

After all, we like the sound of a guitar amp distorting ... why not the sound of a whole band?

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think Sckott's right about predicting the SACD's brightness and likely noise reduction--sure hope that isn't the case and Universal has proved pretty reliable in getting these old sessions done right. I owned the '80s two-CD set and that was quite awful and developed small (yet visible) holes in the metal part of the CD! The error correction it reeked on my poor CD player was not helping and I insist it was audibly inferior to the '95 version, which itself is just a few notches above unlistenable.

11. monkboughtlunch

wasn't there a remix in 1990? how did that go over?

12. monkboughtlunch

great ray charles reference!!

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the Japanese mini-LP gatefold sleeve version, and that one doesn't sound very good either :(

14. Dob

Dob New Member

That's not quite what you said in this post:

"Yeah the MFSL I like a lot. Mainly because it retains its original mix. It's flat, great presence, not dried out in the high end...the original RSO CD or Polydoor (yes both, RSO was still around when Cds went to/from Hannover) are still very good."

Sounds like you actually preferred the MFSL at one time...you must have changed your mind. Nothing wrong with that!

Can you be more specific about why you changed your mind?

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The album was recorded "live" in the studio, and had layers of overdubs. It was mixed with 1969 equipment. Yeah, it's gonna sound muddy.

But, that's part of the appeal to me. I wouldn't change a thing from the original two-track master.

One attempt was made to make it sound claen and modern via remix. The remix, while sounding clean and detailed, has NO soul or feeling.

16. Sckott

I didn't. :) In that quote I don't tell ya what I prefer. To be honest, it depends on what you like, especially in the EQ. I prefer the RSO (or Polydor 823277-2) over the MFSL.

The only big differences over both the MFSL and the RSO is the RSO doesn't sound bass-boosted. Both are great.

THEN Try comparing them both to that weird 20th Anniversary remix. :eek:

17. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

It's not well liked around here. Actually it is the version I listen to the most. I do think it was mis-handled, but it is better than the old 2cd set, which was sludge. Not the good kind of sludge, either.

Why did they drastically re-mix "Anyday" to include a vocal "Whooo!" in the intro, where there was nothing before? I don't get it.

18. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

You forgot to add hiss, crackles , fader scratches and phase problems to your Dowd equation...

19. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

What Grant Said, I'm not even going to bother with the SACD, what's the point. JMHO!

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Stick with the original Atco pressing, kids, and all shall be well. This album will never match audiophile standards, so go where the food is.

Evan

21. Sckott

They mentioned they found that on the multi, and liked it so they left it in. It's neat, but that changes history a bit AFA how that issue is.

But that's a remix, and notoriously, you're already talking about changing history on purpose. :rolleyes:

22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Joe and others, don't you think you should first listen to the SACD, or at least read what others have to say about it, before encouraging people to rush out and buy a 15 yr old version or concluding it will be pointless to produce LAYLA on SACD? Regardless of whether it turns out to be good advice or bad, you should wait the three or four months until the SACD is actually available.

23. Sckott

You're right; but I suggest to people that they seek out the earliest CD to really hear what the 1st Lps sounded like. I think systematically we've grown too far apart from that. There's been 4-5 issues of this not including forign LP pressings that come from countless safties. And even the MFSL tried to make up for what Tom Dowd didn't do.

That doesn't make it right. It just makes it different. I say, *listen to how it was* so we can feel and find what has flavored it since. I think it's important if you love this album.

The RSO or 1st Polydor Cds can be found and had cheaply. Countless fans have dumped them. It's merely a suggestion. I will be checking out the SACD as well, btw, but because of what I expect from it will make me a tough customer. ;)

24. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

When is the SACD coming out? I cannot find any mention of it anywhere!

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.