Led Zeppelin 2007 Tour-Will this actually happen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

If Genesis can charge $250 and still sell a lot of tickets, imagine what an LZ reunion would cost? I'll bet they could charge a flat $500 a seat for a stadium tour and still sell out.

That said, years of hard living haven't been to kind to Plant and Page. I haven't seen Page recently but Plant is really showing his age these days. But more importantly, his voice isn't what it once was. Perhaps 20 years ago, maybe even 10 years ago, a LZ reunion would have worked.

It would be great for Jimmy Page to unearth some more video from the vaults though. I'm not at all the world's biggest LZ fan, but the "DVD" is phenomenal.

3. punkrok78

punkrok78 Forum Resident

it will happen all on the simple fact everyone else is doing it. its hard these days to list those greats that haven't gone the reunion route.

and i would go see it in a second

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Zooma is a tremendous album. It also showed that Jones, as the other half of Zeppelin rhythm section, is the one most able to put together an album that has the Zeppelin groove in terms of rhythm, timing, etc. Both Page and Plant have had a hard time finding a drummer who can even come close to the Bonham feel (even Bonzo's son Jason can't come close).

As for Page's post-Zeppelin work, we had a discussion on this last year on the "For Badgeholders Only" Zeppelin mailing list. If you sit down and compare lists of all three members, while Plant has been the most visible and commercially successful (mostly in the 80's), Page has done almost as much quantity-wise.However, in terms of sheer volume of musical activity, Jones has been the most busy. The guy's been all over the place, producing, playing, arranging, etc. I don't have the list at hand, but it was very impressive.

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Not sure about that,i'd give Page a better chance at hitting the cords then Plant hitting anything close. I'd rather remember them from 70.

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Went to see the page plant concert way back when. It was very good.Plant still had a pretty decent voice. Ive listened to some of his recent workand enjoy it but it doesnt require the range that the Zep stuff does. Not sure if he is still up to it even half way.

7. erocky

erocky Senior Member

It's funny, I have been on a Leppelin kick big time lately. The most recent live DVD from I think 2003 is unreal. I can't believe how good this band was. If you grew up in the 80's and 90's like I did, you only know Leppelin live from the Song Remains the Same. I'm sorry but that album is not anywhere close to the performances on the BBC, How the West was won an the live DVD. I would love to have more concerts from the 70's.

8. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Page did play well when I saw him with the Black Crowes in 2000. They played almost all LZ songs. Nice to hear the LZ songs fleshed out with 3 guitars playing and with one of them being Page. When he lit off into a solo, you *knew* it was Page without having to look at the stage. Shivers! Page even broke out the theremin for the show.
    I saw The Who play the next day at the same venue. What a fantasic weekend that was!

9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

They worked together in 1994 and then again in 1998. Maybe they'll do something again soon. "Walking Into Clarksdale" was terrific, I thought. (I enjoyed it more than I enjoy "In Through The Out Door") Plant is doing his own thing (so) successfully that when the time is right they may work together again. If not, oh well...

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The mind boggles at how much money Zeppelin could make if they were to reunite before they all hit 70 or whenever they would just be physically too old to even approximate the sound of their glory days. I'm sure a 2007 reunion tour would net them more money than they made in their entire 70s career.

11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

By all means, try Jonesy's Zooma, as well as Thunderthief... excellent, aggresive, huge-scale, rock... his work with Diamanda Galas is also notable and, uhhh, challenging (she is out there)... JPJ is astounding live, as well... it's not Zep, but the spirit is in evidence.

As for those who actually think a reunion will happen...

"Haw-haw – you got your hopes up..."

12. Keith Moon

Keith Moon Active Member

I hope they don't do it. Plant's voice is shot.

13. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Simple!Jones was the only one who didn't sell his soul to the devil.Everybody knows that!:p

14. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

Sure wish I would have been able to have seen Zep back then but I was only 7. The 75 tour is my favorite tour especially the Earl's Court shows.

15. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Couldn't agree more. :righton:

16. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

yeah...let's remember, these guys are 60. What 60 year old man not named Mick can do what he did when he was 25 or 30?

17. erocky

erocky Senior Member

I can't see this tour happening. If it did though, it would be a huge, huge money maker. It would also be good. There is no way that these guys would go out there and not be very well rehearsed. Also, Plant doesn't have the voice that he had back in 75. However, not every great Zeppelin song was a screamer. He could easily sing a great evening's worth of songs that he could pull off from their career. Plant's last album by the way was wonderful. I don't know how many people heard it but it was great. My wife recently bought me Nine Lives for Valentines day and I love it. I love the mastering and good bit of his music has aged very well. Not Leppelin but very entertaining.

18. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

What they should do is try to find more archive material like the 2003 dvd.

Finding more of that would only re-enforce the legend. But the legend is real. They really were that good.
    If Page spent more time re-mastering and restoring that old footage that would be great.

But to try to do it now, forget it.

19. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

I just watched Achilles last stand from the 2003 dvd.

Bonzo is machine-like in his drumming ability. It's unreal; superhuman.
    No other human being could do justice to it.

If they are getting together it's to sign off on some project Page has in mind.
    It's not for a re-union. That's my guess.

I just cannot see Plant agreeing to do that.

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

People always seem to forget that Page and Plant already did get back together. That was everyone's chance to see a Led Zeppelin reunion, basically -- with Bonham unavailable, they can't ever truly reunite anyway, so it didn't make that much difference that Jones wasn't there either. I'm sure part of Plant's disinterest in it now is that when he did finally give in to the pressure to work with Jimmy again, it wasn't really as big a deal as everyone always thought it would be, even when, on their second go-around, they went back to the classic Zeppelin sound.

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It has already been established that this dumb rumour was just a recycled story from many years ago. Plant has moved on, thankfully. Put this thread to rest.

22. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Funny you should mention this. I just saw a video on a web site of one of the rare performances of Achilles from the opening dates of the Page-Plant tour. Although the drums were a pale echo of what Bonzo could do, the band still nailed it, especially Jimmy. One rumor had it that they decided to stop doing the song because the performance was too close to Zeppelin. It's a strange reasoning, but I tend to agree.

I also saw a video done from one of their early 1996 Japanese gigs where they pulled off a tremendous Tea For One (from Presence).

23. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

Well I dont doubt that the other parts could be done, but you say the drums were a pale echo of what Bonzo could do. Do you mean the drum performance was not nearly as good or what?

His performance on that song at Knebworth....words can't really describe it right.

I'd like to see the P + P version. Cuz no one imo can do that.

24. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

I'd like to dispute that - while Page was decidedly rough on both the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary special, Live Aid, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, none of those were well-assembled/rehearsed situations, and Jimmy had other things he was dealing with.

When Page & Plant got back together, I saw them twice on the No Quarter tour - on the first leg at Boston Garden, and on the return leg at Boston's new Fleet Center - and at Madison Square Garden during their Walking into Clarksdale tour. With footage of The Song Remains the Same flickering through my brain, I swore that seeing them at MSG would be the closest, most faithful approximation a kid who had Bonham die on his second birthday would ever get to seeing Zeppelin live. Plant didn't quite hit the highs of yore (though really he hadn't been able to do that since mid-75), and the band's drummer (who my high school friends referred to as "Crack Boy") player and looked more like vintage Mitch Mitchell than John Bonham... but it was blissful. And they did the songs justice. Page was sharp, and if not quite as incendiary as in the early 70s... it's hard to not forgive that 25 years later.

...and then I saw Page your with the Black Crowes, and was blown away. Chris Robinson brought the vocals alive. Steve Gorman's drums were powerful and faithful while still having personality (though their sound guy had them so compressed that they might as well have been samples... check out the 'Live at the Greek' CD, for example.) But having a live 3-guitar attack allowed songs like "Ten Years Gone" to come alive in wonderful ways, and it was an extraordinary show. Something about the setting gave Jimmy Page a kick of adrenaline, and some of his lead lines, while trading off with Rich Robinson were brilliant and vital in a way I hadn't expected after the Page/Plant tours.

As with anything, you've got to feel inspired. Maybe it was that there was no baggage, playing with a new young ensemble. Maybe he was just in better spirits. But I wouldn't put Page down as a wash yet.

25. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Zeppelin in 2007 ? ? ? ?

I suggest that you do what this guy is doing, and roust up some bootleg footage of the band..... 'Cause that's the only "Zeppelin" you're going to get to see in 2007!!:edthumbs:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.