Led Zeppelin 2014 Remasters - I-III Vinyl Format

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockclassics, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Awesome, thanks for your reply. I'm going to give this product a shot and see how I like it.

Budget Audiophile likes this.
  2. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I have to check my copies again. What about the deluxe versions? Are these also the same - Pallas pressed records for US market and Optimal (if these are indeed Optimal) pressed records for EU market?

3. Vinyl Fan 1973

That I don't know as I didn't purchase any, but I believe others here stated they had the same deadwax info for those pressings. I have the single LP's of I and II and the super deluxe box for III. All vinyl is flawless, I just stare at them and I'm amazed LOL.

Please check yours again and let us know, thanks.

I think it's still too early to tell but it would appear that Pallas handled the North Amercian market and Optimal for the EU.

4. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

I'm probably wrong, but doesn't IiiI in the deadwax signify a record that's been mastered or cut at Abbey Road? I took it to be a low-resolution representation of the pedestrian crossing.

*Apologies if the mastering/cutting location of the Zeppelin reissues has been covered elsewhere and I'm just muddying the waters* :hide:

5. Vinyl Fan 1973

You may be right, I'll check again tonight but I'm sure I noticed it because I thought to myself, hey I've seen this marking before. I'll check and get back, but can anyone else confirm they see this marking. I always thought it looked like the devil horn sign that Ronnie Dio would do on stage.

6. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

Opened LZ II box last night. Really too busy to get into these much this week unfortunately, but listened to Side 2 and enjoyed it. On this initial listen I did not pick up any mind-blowing difference from my recollection of the original pressing I just listened to a few days ago, but maybe I just expected too much after so much hype. Nothing more than a preliminary impression however, but I would say the highlight for me was how the drums on Moby Dick really came alive more than I recall on my old copy.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That might be because the Classics of II & III aren't very good...

8. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

I have LZ3 CLASSIC.i find nothing wrong w this pressing at all.in fact I think I find it is one of the best sounding records I have.
    what do you find that is not so good about this lp?

LeeS and Tom Adams like this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Let me guess, you think it has great detail and you hear things that you don't hear on other versions?

10. goat65cars

I didn't say that.putting words in my mouth.i just said IMO it sounds very good.everyone talking about these reissues as being the greatest sounding records ever made.
    I got 3 on order so I guess i'll find out how great these things are in a couple of days.

11. Tom Adams

Tom Adams Well-Known Member

That's certainly true plus it just fills the room with ambient sound that ebbs and flows in a way that most recordings do not. I have a 180-gram version of the Classic III that is definitely in my top 5 best sounding LPs. SIBLY is amazing on it. I have yet to compare it to the 2014 which I just ordered though.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

In my experience, most people that like the Classic LZIII like it for the reasons I mentioned. IMO, the uppers mids are tipped up such that there is more detail, but nothing sounds natural. And my vinyl rig tends to be a hair on the warm side and doesn't necessarily have a problem with records that are a little hot on the top end.

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the new remasters yet in any detail, but my initial impression (listening only to some of the 24/96 so far) is that all three lack the power and oomph of my preferred vinyl pressings. They just seem a little polite. But I have not listened to the vinyl yet.

13. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

When the re-issues were announced I immediately assumed that I would buy the Super Deluxe ... then I saw the price here. So I gave it some thought and decided on just the vinyl LPs. Then after more thought I decided, no ... I have the original CDs, the first remasters, many of the LPs on Japanese vinyl plus a mixture of '70s and '80s reissues ... enough is enough.

Then of course the inevitable ... I walk into a retail store for a quick scan of the vinyl and there they are ... all 3 Super Deluxe editions for a, well, not quite "no-brainer" price but not far off. Next thing I know I am struggling to the check-out with 3 large boxes.

Scott222C, fishcane, mrob0000 and 8 others like this.
  14. I'll bet that happens to ALL of us! I promise myself that I DON'T NEED another copy of the lastest reissue of the week and BOOM, there I am carrying one home.

15. goat65cars

I got LZ 1+2 second pressings at/gp (monarchs) which soung great IMO.so I have no need to get those but I wanted to find out what all the fuss is about.like I was saying I have the LZ 3 CLASSIC which I find very nice IMO.but if this reissue sounds as great as every one is talking about I MIGHT pick up HOTH,IV+PG. I think CLASSIC III is the best sounding of the bunch.
    just my opinion.

JustVinyl and nitsuj like this.
  16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's your opinion.

Tommyboy likes this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Brilliant, great story.

18. goat65cars

his not mine.my LZ 3 sounds great imo.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes it definitely is (although I have to admit that I'm only going by others' opinions I trust on LZII...I never bought it based on those opinions -- but I have all of the others except Coda).

ssmith3046 likes this.
  20. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I also have an at/gp in excellent condition (that I enjoyed listening to) and just finished comparing it to the reissue a couple days ago. The digital vinyl reissue ruined the analog GP, not even close. I dont care if JD comes out and says the reissue was ripped to 128 mp3, then transferred to 8-track, then stamped at Rainbo, it's better in almost every way. Do yourself a favor and drop $20 bucks for the reissue.

stevenalejandro likes this.
  21. goat65cars

from all i'v read on the forum most who have LZ3 think it sounds very good.from what I have read on the forum reviews are very good.
    his is the first bad review I have read here.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes, I forgot to add..."and you can hear the reverb better". I can hear it more too, but it doesn't sound natural at all. What little I heard of the new LZ3 is much better than the Classic....which gets back to my original point. If someone is saying that the remasters of II & III sound less harsh, maybe it's because the Classics aren't a good baseline for judging harshness.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This is total bull. Lots of people think the LZ3 is tipped up. It's a common observation.

Slick Willie likes this.
  24. Tom Adams

Tom Adams Well-Known Member

I have "read" that the Classics version of II is not great. Therefore, I never bought it. I can personally attest that III certainly is great and I bought it because of the reviews I read which were VERY positive. The difference with bright/warm systems certainly affects people's judgement of LP issues but you can get a good idea from the broad spectrum of comments on here (and elsewhere) which pressings sound the best. I can also tell if something is sibilant vs. too bright on my system. My system tends to be bright so I noticed that I like the Monarch US version of LZ PG more than the first pressing UK version which sounds too hot and distorted.

Slick Willie likes this.
  25. goat65cars

ok. LZ 3 should be in the mail today.i'll give it a listen.i don't know those analog (monarchs)at/gp's sound awful good to me. going to be very hard to best them.

nitsuj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.