Led Zeppelin 2014 Remasters - I-III Vinyl Format

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockclassics, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Adams

Tom Adams Well-Known Member

You seem to be in the minority on this one but I want to hear the new one before I say anything else since I can't compare yet. I may be joining you there, who knows. Oh man, I love that reverb on the Classic III, sounds natural to me.

2. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

I didnt' say your opinion was total bull!
    from most reviews I have seen on the forum think it sounds very good just cause you don't like it maybe i'll find I don't like this new reissue.
    i'll let you know

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Indeed. In the 8 years I've been around here, I'd say it's something like 2/3 like it, 1/3 don't. The common complaint is the goosed high end. It does tend to give the listener a sense he or she is hearing an incredible amount of detail, but on some of the acoustic numbers on side 2, it's just too much. I've also noticed it seems too wide, as if Grundman used one of those stereo enhancer circuits on it. Of course, he wouldn't but he may have switched the console to M/S mode and boosted the S channel to get more ambience, and overdid it. That combined with the boosted highs can give a really expansive "hifi" sound to it, but once you've heard this album on a more balanced pressing, it has a much more ballsy sound. I think Davis got a nice balance on the new one. It's got the "hifi sound" without excessive highs or with the lack of focus on the centered instruments.

goat65cars likes this.
  4. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I ordered my deluxe copy of LZ III from Elusive Disc in March, and I'm still waiting for it to ship... I hope it's worth the wait!

Vinyl Fan 1973 and goat65cars like this.
  5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Bull Moose tells me they won't have deluxe vinyl III until the end of the month. I preordered long ago... does this mean they never got any? :cry:

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I think many retailers didn't get the deluxe vinyl, I know HMV still has not received any deluxe vinyl sets here in Montreal.

7. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Alright, I checked my copies again and yes, the ones available on the EU market are definitely pressed at Optimal (I compared the deadwax to other records which I know are definitely pressed at Optimal, even the handwriting matches). But oddly there isnt any IiiI mark on mine. What I also dont understand is how Optimal quality control went so bad this time - I have many many other records pressed by them and all have been perfect. I have also pre-ordered the EU deluxe versions which I havent received yet so Im getting a little bit worried that these have the same problems (scuffs and warping/dishing).

8. Love reading this part of your post:

I must admit to have being opposed to digitally sourced vinyl, but this has changed my mind completely! Detail without being bright & thin, full bodied, superb bass that really kicks - it has it all! A remaster done right - rejoice!!!

9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks for looking into that, and I will check my copy of III again to see if the mark of IiiI is really there, my eyes may have fooled me. Also, don't worry about your boxes, my Optimal pressing of III is fantastic and matches the quality in every way of the Pallas pressings of I and II that I have. If there are bad copies it's a very minimal batch, the reports of something like that are not wide spread. Rest assured.

Marko K likes this.
  10. Good to know. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

I should clarify as some labels appear to be different. What I should have said is what's written in the deadwax, for the BD or R1. Also, Pallas is machine stamped and Optimal is hand etched matrix info.

12. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I am enjoying this vinyl. I haven't purchased much vinyl besides the occasional MFSL release. If we set this Led Zeppelin remaster project as a bar that is very high...What other reissues would be considered in the same league? The Rolling Stones Clear Vinyl series? Elton John's latest Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Issue?

I am curious for those that collect lots of modern reissue vinyl....which of it out there has been done with this dedication?

tmtomh likes this.
  13. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Seeing that HDTracks released the 24/96 files right away, I have to say my strategy for the next batch will probably be Standard Issue vinyl and Deluxe Issue files.

FWIT, this is said with only hearing the Auto-Rips so far.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Thanks. I should say that a "goosed" top end is probably a misnomer. It's could very well be that Bernie Grundman simply took less out of the 3-5k on the Classic compared to other masterings, as the flat master tape is apparently pretty bright and thin (per our board host).

Which may explain why some think it sounds more like a master tape...because it does.

Tom Adams and tmtomh like this.
  15. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Actually, I thought the differences between CD and. Vinyl were significant when I compared them. Mind you, I liked both: the CD for its bell-like clarity that lets you listen deeply into the music and its wide and deep soundstage. The vinyl for its darker timbre and its punchiness. The room between instruments is much smaller, but the compactness really seems to translate into punch.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Stefan like this.
  16. attym

attym Forum Resident

Its funny how polarized this place is on the Classic III. For me, its the best Ive heard III and my favorite Zeppelin LP to listening to sound wise.

tmtomh and goat65cars like this.
  17. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.