Led Zeppelin 2014 Vinyl Remasters Zoso, Houses of the Holy, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VinylRob, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Someone let us all know which of the pressings have the f'ed up The Ocean and which have the (hopefully) non-f'ed up The Ocean (be it Pallas or Optimal) and where/what vendors would most likely have the "good" copies of Houses Of The Holy to purchase.

2. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

3. giantleech

How would one identify an Optimal pressing without actually looking at the dead wax inscription? I am interested in getting a "Super Deluxe" box but want to figure out if such a box can be obtained/identified as an Optimal pressing (perhaps bar code sticker on the back, if there are different bar code identifications differentiating Optimal and Pallas pressings? - this would seem to be the most likely method) or any other means (good grief, what a hassle.)

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

It's throughout the track, except for the quiet middle section at around 2 1/2 minutes where it's just vocals. Does anyone have a vinyl reissue copy that doesn't have this issue? Are those pressed in Europe free of it?

5. gstring

gstring Active Member

Received my single copy of Houses today. Pressed by Optimal which I believe is the default for the European market, I'm in UK. The Ocean plays fine so perhaps the problem is Pallas for USA pressings.

Flat copy as well, thanks for once Optimal. Cover all good and as I have the single LP the gatefold outer cover is reproduced properly unlike the Deluxe.

Listening to IV Companion LP now, side 2 sounding rather shrill on Misty Mountain Hop but the non vocal Going to California is very pastoral and nice to listen to. This copy is dished so going back. Cover of the 2LP Deluxe does spoil the original artwork as it relied on its gatefold picture for its intended effect, no high rise block of flats anywhere here! Never mind I have the original for that but for seekers of authenticity I would just get the single LP.

Happy Days.

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

The easiest way, is look at the back of each super deluxe box, there is a content insert and if you look at the credits towards the bottom, the message with be either made in the USA, or made in the EU. My boxes are EU.

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Which version do you have? Does it have the problem on The Ocean?

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

I have the EU (pressed by Optimal) for I-III and they are some of the best vinyl I own, perfect pressing quality. I have yet to receive the boxes through Amazon. I was going to buy them at HMV as the price is good right now, but they are US made boxes and I'd prefer to keep them all EU if I can.

9. giantleech

So are the "made in the USA" boxes strictly Pallas pressings and the "made in the EU" boxes strictly Optimal pressings?

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yes. Also I compared the mastering of the first 3 with a friends box that were made in the US and they are identical. I just found the pressing quality to be higher for the EU made boxes. I pretty much try and get EU for everything, and I'm lucky as the HMV near me gets the EU versions most of the time. I do believe Amazon Canada is shipping EU versions as well. I played my Zep vinyl last night and I am so satisfied with them, no warps, no noise, just great sounding vinyl.

11. giantleech

While were at it, are there any problems of this type with any of the Zeppelin 4 pressings?

12. giantleech

Alrighty then! I'll have to track down an Optimal "made in the EU" box for Houses Of The Holy. Am I going to have to search outside of North America for this or do our friends up in the Great White North have the EU boxes in their clutch?

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Yes. BTW no noise on The Ocean. Was a little on start of Rain Song but not noticeable on second play. Deluxe edition purchased from Amazon UK.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  14. stevenalejandro

stevenalejandro Forum Resident

Here is the 2014 JP Mastering. Bought in the U.S. With JD and P. USA in the matrix. I will post my 70's era Sterling RL press below. I'm hoping to get to both versions of The Ocean later today.
    (Both of The Song Remains The Same are 128 / 48 recordings) The Ocean I post later will be 192/48)

JP Christian likes this.
  15. stevenalejandro

stevenalejandro Forum Resident

Bob Ludwig Sterling press

JP Christian and gramfan like this.
  16. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

So I should cancel my Bull Moose preorder (they didn't receive their shipment yet) and get this through amazon.ca?

17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Sorry, I edited my post and added some stuff to it. I hit post reply too fast LOL. You can't go wrong with the EU versions, just beautiful vinyl. HMV Canada have the US boxes for the new batch, but had EU boxes for the first batch. I believe Amazon Canada is shipping EU boxes.

Giorgio likes this.
  18. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I just listened to my Optimal pressing of HOTH and it does not have the problem on the left channel. It seems that there is something wrong with the Pallas pressings only.

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Just shows Pallas can get it wrong as much as any plant. Should have been picked up if on all pressings.

20. bibijeebies

there is only one thing wrong: my analogue EU 2014 Optimal LP sounds sooooo digital compared to all the Holy Grail pressings pressed on wonderful virgin vinyl and acquired on yard sales for under $10

George Blair likes this.
  21. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

Is it actually on all US pressings?

22. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

I got my Deluxe Edition IV vinyl through Amazon US, and didn't notice anything wrong with the pressing. I'm very happy with it. I'm assuming it's pressed in the US, but can't check that right now.

23. bibijeebies

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  24. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Opinions will vary but there don't seem to be any egregious errors on IV like the problem with The Ocean on Pallas pressings.

It's funny, before I received my copies I was reading how the IV reissue was "meh" and HOTH was much better. After a day with them, I feel just the opposite.

25. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

I haven't seen one post saying "P. USA here and no distortion on The Ocean" so for now it looks like it plagues all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.