Led zeppelin classic records 200gm

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by bradley a kessler, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradley a kessler

bradley a kessler Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know what the whole set of led zeppelin's catalogue, in classic records 200gm quiex svp all unopened, would cost. The only lps missing would be the bbc sessions. So that zep I through coda and the song remains the same. Thanx

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

To quote Keanu Reeves: "**** . . . **** . . . a bunch!"

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

$200.00 X 9 = $1,800.00. I have 7 of 9 myself, having ' RL 's for II, and HoH.

4. Macman007

Macman007 Sitting mId-way between 2 very large speakers

They are going for crazy $$$ anymore, especially compared to what I payed for them brand new when they were first released. 35.00$ was what I payed for II and HOTH. I have them all. But consider this unless you want them for the sake of owning the entire set, not for listening, you may want to try the latest reissues first.

Aside from DEAD QUIET, I mean scary quiet , like you are listening to a CD (gawd forbid) they are really not that great, Actually II is the worst of the Classic records 200 gram releases. The next worst is I, and HOTH along with the rest jockey for third place. I can not believe Bernie Grundman was the engineer for the masters. The whole thing is loaded with sibilance and it sounds like either the lathe cutting electronics/signal was pushed way to hard into saturation , or the master used to cut the lacquer was. You can tell it's overdriven, the whole thing is beyond ridiculous, side one being the worst. I doesn't sound like tape compression so much as it (almost) sounds like digital distortion.I have tried every cartridge and arm combination at my disposal, checked and rechecked the cart set up, VTA, VTF, overhang etc. All my other non Classic Records Zep's sound great, side from a little surface noise after 35 years + of ownership.

You can't get away from it, and the quieter you try to play it the worse it sounds. Only portions that sound good are where the volume of the music is quiet, but even then Robert sounds as if he's Sylvester the cat, with all the SSSSSHHHHSSSTTTTSSSS. Bonzo's snare work and cymbals are ruined on Moby Dick, among the other tracks, even Thank You is slaughtered.

Unfortunately, I put these records away when new and never opened them for play until last fall (2016). I was amazed and saddened by the terrible quality of the recordings. Had I opened them then played them brand new, I would have exchanged them for another set, or for the 180 gram versions for a try. Bar that I would have returned them all for credit or money back, they are just that bad. Today they are worth a small fortune, but I couldn't sell them to anyone knowing how bad they are (no I'm not giving them away either, don't ask!!) as I feel it would be dishonest.

I'm half tempted to buy all the latest reissues from Zep, but between my disappointment in these and all the negative press I have read here on the forums regarding them, I'm hesitant to spend the $$$ and end up disappointed with another set of Zep LP's I hate, but can't in good conscience sell either.

I wish there was a way to contact someone from Classic Records or Bernie Grundman himself and let him (them) evaluate these in search of what went wrong. The whole thing has turned me away from buying any new represses from anywhere, since I can't trust them to sound as good ( they should sound leagues better between technology and the better vinyl used to press them no to mention the supposed care and detail going into new releases of older titles) as my old LP's do. It almost seems as if the entire enterprise is aimed at being a cash grab, with no eye to quality.

I hate to sound jaded, but I'm really let down, I saved these for years to listen to when I had a nice system set up and time to appreciate them, I had planned to copy them all on to 2 track analog tape using ATR Master at 15ips, but that would be a waste of good tape. These have 3 or 4 plays on both sides and one cleaning after the last play on a VPI. Perfect in every way but they way they are meant for.

HearingWell and agn like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

@Macman007 - Chad of Acoustic Sounds bought Classic, contact him.

6. Macman007

Macman007 Sitting mId-way between 2 very large speakers

Thank you, do you think they (Chad) would be wiling or able to do anything after all these years? That would be so great, maybe he has an idea what is going on.

Myke likes this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have them all but LZ2. The Classics aren't perfect by any stretch, but I hear nothing like you describe. Sibilance, overdriven, saturation, digital distortion? Not on my copies.

And (not including II) III is the worst of the bunch IMO, followed by HOTH. I don't think any of them are my preferred version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.