Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song - Hey Hey - mono single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

For about 30 years now, I have owned a copy of the WEA Canada / Atlantic 45 of "Immigrant Song" / "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do?". I only bought the single for the non-LP B side, which plays mono. I figured that the song was possibly a demo or after thought from Zeppelin 3, so I didn't think anything of it. I was aware that Hey, Hey was on a U.K. Atlantic compilation album called "The Age Of Atlantic" which I later found out was in stereo.

We were chatting about this mono single in the "fave 45 b sides" thread. Ed and Tim Neely tell us that the U.S. single was in stereo.

I pulled out my WEA Canada 7 inch single, which is probably a second or third pressing from around 1974 and it turns out that both sides are mono.

Are these songs fold-downs? I recorded both songs to the computer using two channels. You can hear the clicks which I left in at the beginning of "Immgrant Song". I did not combine the channels with a y connector cord.

Here are 1 minute samples of both.

Thanks. :)

Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song/Hey, Hey, What Can I Do?

Attached Files:

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The Japanese and US reissue singles (that look much like the originals, but not quite) are in stereo.

I'm hearing this now. Betcha it was a stereo tape played into a mono cutter. Lots of bottom end on that sucker. Plant's voice seems a bit set inside.

Those reissues of Hey Hey used to be all over the place for $2.

3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I've got two 1971 copies of the US single - one with the "Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be the Whole of the Law" in the trail-off, one without. I'll have to check them once I get the opportunity.

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I believe they are fold-downs. I remember hearing about the mono single some years ago. Haven't thought about until this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.