Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014+ to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt 8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I heard Page has hired lukpac as a consultant for his next set of remasters.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The remasters that have been done for over a year?

mdm08033 likes this.
  3. Monosterio

No, the next set. Page wants to get started early, to make sure that next time the right HOTH tapes are used.

But why am I telling you all this? You already know! :winkgrin:

4. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The core mastering has been done since late 2012 when the main album tracks first showed up in the iTunes Store.

But the CD versions aren't quite finished yet - they still have to sum the bass frequencies to mono.

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The poll is discussed in this thread, so at one point the Marino's won a poll. Seemingly this was blamed on too many new members in the forum who didn't know what to listen for ;)

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/whats-the-best-sounding-led-zeppelin-on-cd.66179/

tkl7 likes this.
  6. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Man. I am jonesin' to see what Page will plant on the next releases.

I think out of all of the series this will be the most interesting release period (even though folks aren't as fond of the albums).

Stefan and tmtomh like this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

tkl7 likes this.
  8. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Just checked into this thread. Yep, it's a mess.

FLF, ti-triodes, WPLJ and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bonham. :righton:

supermd, sassi, WPLJ and 2 others like this.
  10. Tenor Audio Fan

Tenor Audio Fan Forum Resident

A great interview from the early 90's:

http://www.iem.ac.ru/zeppelin/docs/interviews/page_93.gw

Jimmy Page: (...) "Engineer George Marino and I transferred the
    original analog tapes to a digital format, then we used some modern
    EQ's to make them sparkle."

---

But the best way to describe the different versions of HOTH came from forum member @rcsrich :

"It all comes down to underwear. The Diament CD is like a pair you've had for a while- immediately comfortable, relaxed, maybe a bit worn, but nice. The '94 Marino remaster is like switching from Fruit Of The Loom to Haynes- it's different, a little uncomfortable- something not quite right, but you wear it because,well, you feel like you should have underwear on. The 2014 remaster is the brand-new pair of your favorite brand- a little stiff, but crisp, new & bright white & they have a nice snug fit. Underwear."

supermd, Stuart S and Stefan like this.
  11. Don't laugh, Jesse.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/e56dcea57604cff82c058aace3f1d36f/tumblr_mnh4br3Ot11qdbfy6o1_500.jpg

supermd likes this.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

13. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Has Plant or Jones had anything to do with this reissue campaign? I know Page is the driving force but I haven't come across an interview with either of the other two members.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What if you find out theyre boxers?

15. dee

dee Senior Member

16. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Are any of the reissues worth picking up on vinyl? I'm mainly looking forward to Coda for some bonus tracks.

Also will the BBC sessions be reissued?

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

So you're saying that all the folks in this thread who like the remasters just don't know what to listen for and since you do, you are superior to us?

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I was being funny, hence the smilie emoticon. You can like whatever you like.

19. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Just as a final note on my LZIII comparisons, I listened again to the three different versions (just 3 songs this time) through my three sets of headphones and I will say that the Davis remasters are a marked improvement over the Marino remaster of that album. Besides the overt brightness, the vocals are way too upfront (especially on SIBLY) and the mid-bass is almost non-existent in comparison to the Davis and Diament masters. I still prefer the Diament's overall but the Davis is definitely clearer so I see how some prefer them.

There was one issue I had with the Davis remaster though that was not on the Diament or Marino (or not as prevalent anyway)...noise. There is some noise and/or buzzing on SIBLY that is way more pronounced on the Davis remaster. Also, the overall noise level in the quieter passages is more pronounced on the Davis version. I was actually surprised how bright and detailed the Marino is while not having a high noise level. Unfortunately, the overall tonal balance of the Marino eclipses the lack of noise...SIBLY was irritating on all but one of my headphones.

tmtomh likes this.
  20. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Reading that Page interview when the Marino remasters came out seems to suggest the tapes were in decent condition then.

21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The buzzing as well as AC power hum is especially prominent during the "Said I been crying...." on the Classic Records version of LZIII. It's the first time I ever really noticed it so much. I believe it's on the original master and the Davis, like the Classic Records version reveals it more than previous releases.

There's also weird glitch in "Hat Off to Roy Harper" where the guitar suddenly jumps to the left channel around the first "Be-leeeeive . . " that exists only on the Classic Records version (fortunately). I'm glad it didn't show up on the Davis version.

tmtomh likes this.
  22. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

My head is spinning trying to read this thread. :crazy: Could someone outline it for me ?

23. Monosterio

1. Diament
    2. Davis
    3. Marino

George P likes this.
  24. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Absolutely subjective, and it's an album by album thing.

lukpac likes this.
  25. Monosterio

Good, cause I have the Marinos. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.