Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014 to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

You're too young my friend. You should have been listening to FM. ;)

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But, it's better to give than receive. ;)

imarcq and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  4. Josh C

Josh C Forum Resident

Sorry to hear about the delay MarkO. I ordered a week or so ago and got it today. One day longer than Amazon but saved about $13. Mine are all in perfect condition. No dings or dents in the case. I also have 24/96 files, deluxe edition on both. Loving everything so far.

5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Listening to the bonus disk of LZIII the version of That's The Way is great! Right now I may even like it more than the album version! It isn't just the original speed of the recording - there are some cool guitar licks on here that I am pretty sure aren't on the album version. Very reminiscent of the live versions they did

tmtomh, Fullbug, dee and 4 others like this.
  6. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

It really is pretty damn great. A standout bonus track. :righton:

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

For me the bonus disc of Zep III is the gem of this series...so far.

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yes Zep III takes the prize here . Just finished listening to it. Reference quality and great bonus disc.

9. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i'm really happy with these. :)

Vinyl Fan 1973 and HotelYorba101 like this.
  10. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Just received my superdeluxe 1 and 3 today. I'm VERY pleased with them.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. MikeyVan

MikeyVan MoFaux Fraudelity Scam Labs Digi-Vinyl fan

Sorry to hear about your poor packaging experience and resulting damaged boxes...Always a let down....you should be enjoying your sets rather than fretting over poor packaging and damage that could have been easily avoided.

Had you seen those sets in a retail store in the condition in which your received them, would you have purchased them? If not, then arrange for replacements.

I ordered from Bull Moose as well, and I'll report back on packaging and condition once I receive them.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  12. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Haven't received mine yet from Barnes and Noble. Glad to see mostly positive responses so far...

13. dee

dee Senior Member

the pricing structure for the double CD sets has worked for me. I wanted to hear the bonus discs in lossless audio at an inexpensive price, and I have.

I have imagined many times that removing some of the electric guitar overdubs in Ramble On, could possibly result in making me think of a Van Morrison Astral Weeks kind of track. I have to say that the bonus track as it is, does have that kind of quality to me. The chorus still kicks in strong- hear that kick drum!- but for me there's definitely a Van Morrison vibe going on. Astral Weeks verses with a Brown Eyed Girl chorus, heh.

something I hadn't really noticed before, as a whole, maybe in parts, but, John Paul Jones organ playing or sounding can get a little too churchy for me, not that I don't like church organ, I do, it just sounds a little strange to me in these contexts, Just my opinion, I don't mean anything derogatory towards JPJ! He's a wonderful and multi talented musician!

What Is and What Should Never Be, like other bonus tracks, doesn't seem much different than the album version, but I like the dynamics better. it's not as harsh sounding or sibilant, imo, especially during the chorus.

The Heartbreaker solo sounds really squirrely and I was thinking what a good opportunity to do what they did on the live concert edit, but with this version instead. Including it is cool and preferable of course.

I have enjoyed Jennings Farm Blues. I like That's the Way and Ramble On. Heartbreaker too.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  14. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

This killing me! I promised my son I'd only listen to the first of the three super deluxe sets until he gets home from collage. I could play the first album 5 times and not be bored though. Loving the accounts of everyones experiences with all the various options/

15. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

Here's the guts from Super Deluxe 1. The promo pack I think will be of interest to people wanting some text to read. There's three different letters which are multiple pages (and two gloss photos...one is a VERY nice reproduction the other is a little more fuzzy) in a nice little binder thing. The bios obviously were for people to book the band and to expose them etc...not earth shattering but interesting from the point of view of..."will this band ever matter and is this hype warranted?" well...we know the answer to that/
    The live album is 2 LPs so it's the largest bonus set from the 3 packages so far (II and III have one extra LP)...you get the print (my number was somewhere in the 22,000 range...I don't remember the exact number for this one) obviously the CD's the High Res download card, and the box itself (which is very cool and has a nice material cover)...the 70 page hard cover book (ALL have a thick die cut cover) very nice stuff.

I haven't cracked the books yet, and I will give this one a FULL listen tomorrow. II and III I listened to both LPs all the way through and they are solid as brick **** house. The sound is excellent and I think 90-95% of the people who get these will be very happy.[​IMG]

Peachy, dee, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Have to do some serious listening during the weekend (Super Deluxe boxsets, normal-lp, deluxe-lp, normal-cd, deluxe-cd)...all those that I bought. :cool:

imarcq and SpinningInfinity like this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Can someone tell me which thread has musical discussions about all the bonus material? It seems this one is all about packaging, and the others are about digital formats, or "I got mine, but have not listened yet". I just want to know about the music on the bonus discs.

Chris M likes this.
  18. SpinningInfinity

Are you getting them?

LZ I it's a concert from Paris 1969 2 LPs. You have a bunch of alternate takes on Zeppelin ii, rare tracks etc. I loved the bonus LP. Zeppelin iii is really great with alternate takes and rare tracks many people are saying this is their favorite.

Sounds great. Jump in. Page and Davis did a great job putting these together.

There's tons of posts about the music and tracks (specific) and I am sure there will be many more.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

So that is his regional English accent. So what.

...and you are from where ? (no 'location' entered) and sound like what ?

mick_sh likes this.
  20. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Just sounds like a regular London-ish geezer accent to me, surprisingly untainted considering he has probably lived everywhere. I won't dare to criticise his French intro, especially as I sound like Rene from "Allo Allo" if I even attempt to say Les Onions! ;)

tkl7 and stem like this.
  21. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The damage isn't really that bad. Plus, I'll rarely see the outer box anyway since the LPs and (probably) books will be stored separately. I'm a little disappointed but it's not something I'll end up fretting over in the long term.

22. SpinningInfinity

I am going to contact CDimport and ask about my box and see if it can be replaced. My guts on III seem flawless as of now (both LPs played perfectly) but there's a small ding in the main box that holds all the content and a small split maybe 1/2 Inch on the seam (the seams on the boxes may end up being a bit of an Achilles heel for these depending on how each one was originally made (how thick that area was applied with glued....and I guess the amount of binding material in that spot)

like you said...I am more than happy and these are extremely minor and I'd keep these and just chalk it up to natural wear and tear...but if the label will send out a replacement box...I'd gladly take one.

I'll let you know if it works out.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The only bonus disc I have listened to in full is LZII. I really enjoyed it. I know some on here may not care for them, but the backing tracks on there are a treat for me. I have listened to those more than anything else on all three CDs. I also heard “Friends” from LZIII and enjoyed that as well. I like that they are not quite finished backing tracks. By that I mean, with the case of “Living Loving Maid,” it is missing some guitar overdubs. “Thank You” is a beautiful little piece of music. I almost think of it as a little music box that grows and shrinks.

The rough mixes are cool, but some, like “What Is And What Should Never Be” and “Heartbreaker,” are so similar to the finished tracks that they aren’t as exciting as the rest of the tracks. Still, they are appreciated by me. “La La” is a pretty cool track. The first time I heard it, I kept thinking how awesome it would have been if the song had vocals. Last night, I was singing/humming my own little made-up melody. I’m looking forward to tackling LZIII next.

24. SpinningInfinity

I was dying for vocals on La La.

I had no problem with the alternate tracks though on either II or III. I mean what could Page really put on there....little 20 and 30 second punch ins of guitar licks (I'd have loved them because I am a guitar player and "tone" chaser) or Robert Plant isolated vocals (I was also a singer and LOVE that stuff) but I think they had to have something that resembled songs for most people.

the problem is...then people go "ah, this is just a different version of that song".....well yes they went in to record an album and they have a certain amount of tracks they were doing for that record...it wasn't the White album.

the first 3 Zeppelin records were done when the band was FLYING fast.....between touring and doing tons of shows (sometimes multiple shows a day) the fact they didn't have 20-50 extra songs...or even 10 extra songs we've not heard at this point is not a real shock to me.

I was oooing and ahhhhing so many times out loud listening to the records yesterday....and I have heard a TON of non released Zeppelin...and live shows etc...I like the idea too Page went through and picked this stuff for us, caressed it with John Davis.

Here's to the next 3...I think we are in for a WILD ride...I cannot even imagine what we have in store for IV and PG specifically.

that is going to be some bad a$$ stuff...although with IV...my guess is most people will complain they've heard all the versions of Four Sticks, the Black Dog scratch tapes, and the working on Stairway stuff...so I expect that release for hard core fans who like to belly ache, will do so appropriately at that time.

:)

Physical has way more of an x-factor....not sure what to expect from HOTH either in terms of extras.

25. cvila

cvila Senior Member

I'm sure I'm in the minority (maybe of one) who wished they 'flew in' the vocals from "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" onto "Jenning's Farm Blues" . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.