Lehman Audio Black Cube SEII - Loading and Resistors

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seancito, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am thinking of purchasing the Lehman Audio Black Cube SE II, and I understand the current model only has loading capabilities of 100 or 1000 ohm for MC cartridges. I current load my Hana EL cartridge at 1000 ohms on my phono stage because that's what sounds best to me. I understand that you can add a capacitor to change the loading, but I have absolutely no clue as to what that means or if it something that I can handle down the road. Also, will I even need to add a resistor to change the loading, given that it has 100 ohm or 1000 ohm loading for moving coil cartridges? Thanks!

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It is very flexible. You will not need to do anything but set a loading switch to use the 1000 ohm option. Any phono preamp can have loading customized by using external loading plugs, but this preamp has provisions internally to accept that without needing any additional hardware. You would just need to buy a pair of resistors or capacitors and install them, if you ever decided you needed to do so. It sounds like you'll be happy with it as is though.
    -Bill

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I had the BCSEII for a while and found it to be a great sounding preamp and a true value (I actually miss not having the bass filters which tightened up the bass and dynamics). the manual is confusing as heck.
    for MC and 1000 ohm load set switches 1 and 2 ON, 3 and 4 to OFF. Is your cartridge high or low version?

4. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I use the BCSE for my Hana EL, 1000 ohm is the best

5. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the Hana EL, and I currently switch between 500 and 1000 ohms. I recently swapped out my Morrow cables for Audio Sensibility Statement SE phono interconnects, and I think I may gradually swap out my cables in my system before upgrading the phono stage. That's good to hear about the Lehmann though.

6. Marcel van Tilburg

Marcel van Tilburg New Member

Have the Hana ML and Black Cube SE II and have set it to 100 Ohm (minimum according to Hana manual). So far I am VERY happy with the sound, but I have been told I should try 450 Ohm and I just read a review in a German audio magazine that suggests 150 or 200. I would like to try all this but am confused by the different Watt values. What would be suitable for the Lehmann? And should I get 0.1% tolerance or would 5 do just fine? And how about carbon, metal film or exotic Tantalum resistors? Any opinions on particular brands? Many thanks in advance!

7. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

Here is a page I added the gain settings to.
    When I had the Lehmann I used the 1K setting and it worked well.[​IMG]

8. Marcel van Tilburg

Marcel van Tilburg New Member

Thanks, mdelrossi! Unfortunately I don't know how to interpret these dB figures, but your message did give me the courage just to try the 1kOhm setting. Now I know that is not for me; it takes away sharpness (there is actually very little of that in the ML) , but also makes the sound dull. Anyone with advice of resistor values and/or brands?

9. Guidopop79

Guidopop79 New Member

I have a black cube se on a hana SL cartridge and I read that the maximum of this cartridge is obtained with a load of 400 ohms
    does anyone know what resistance I have to insert in the free slots R103 and R203 ???
    How then to set the selectors to take advantage of this load of MC and 400ohm?

[​IMG]

10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

400 ohms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.