Lenny Kravitz, Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stonesfcr, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wondered how much love (or not) there is for Kravitz here. IMO a solid songwriter and producer, but always under the shadow of Prince and other music giants, often criticized for "borrowing" from other artists on his songs; The Stones, Lindsey Buckingham, Kiss, James Brown, Mayfield, etc. and heavily influenced by 70's rock and Soul.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  2. Django

Django Forum Resident

I like a few songs, wouldn't buy an album.

3. jwjeffrey

jwjeffrey Hard working and Honest!

I like Lenny a lot,I think of him in the same vein as Living Colour maybe with a little more soul.

4. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Haven't heard much from him lately, but I've probably got 3-4 of his albums. I don't think he's "great", but that was the best choice I had so I went with that.

dude0711 and agaraffa like this.
  5. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I was OK with the first couple of albums with more of a soul groove...playing in the background mostly. But after that I HATE his records....ESPECIALLY the song "Are You Gonna Go My Way?"

6. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Love Lenny. I think his first 7 albums are all solid; the last 2-3, since It Is Time For A Love Revolution, have been a mixed bag with increasingly diminishing returns. I do wish he would return more to the retro 60s-70s rock and soul sound, instead of the more contemporary dance music of Strut. Since he put out Strut, he seems to be as much or more about the image than the music. I don't need to see any more videos of him with his shirt off.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The first two albums are great...the third is good...then it's very hit or miss.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

A couple of good albums, that's all.

Michael Rose likes this.
  9. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Never been a fan. In the 90s I used to tell people my worst fear was dying and having to listen to Lenny Kravitz, Dave Matthews Band, and Celine Dion on an endless loop. My least favorite song on TP&THBs Playback box set is "You Come Through" (although a buddy of mine thought it was the best track, so I definitely realize different strokes for different folks and all that).

baconbadge likes this.
  10. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

11. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I've seen him live many times and followed the albums since the very beginning, and I personally have come to think that Craig Ross (the wispy Marc Bolan/Jimmy Page looking kid on guitar) might actually be the real talent there. I can't put my finger on it, and some of it is just in the category of "mojo" or "feel," but there is a distinct tendency where the more that Craig Ross is involved in something Lenny does, with an album/single/project or what have you, the better it often is. Say what you will about his hair, but Craig Ross has a great touch, a great feel on guitar, and a sense of arrangement in how he plays the solos, or how the songs he co-wrote are built up. I mean Lenny pretty openly calls him his main man and "secret weapon," I can't help but wonder what he really brings to the table, behind the scenes.

But having said that, Let Love Rule, the Craig Ross-less first album, where Lenny played most or all of the instruments, is also really really good. That album was basically Lenny in a studio with no pressure and no expectations -- no one even knew who he was. I find that album has a purity or honesty to it, a simplicity that the other albums by him just don't have. The other albums are much more self-conscious.

12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

His early work is very well written & produced I would say up to Are You Gonna Go My, those first 3 albums still sound great 23+ years later. Circus LP was still well recorded in my opinion with a great drum sound but the tunes come across a little weak & cheesy, sorry Lenny.
    His musical output from the last 20 years has done very little for me, I gave up on him more or less after Circus but I always have a listen to his new offerings. I am a glad I have those early albums on vinyl though they hold very fond memories of delving deep in music like his and all the music that would of inspired him, 60s & 70's. Yes the influences are easy to spot but so what, good music is good music. A friend and I saw him at Wembley in 93 when he was King - little did I know at the tim but my future lady in waiting was also there too.

13. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I won tickets to the Are You Going to Go My Way tour 20+ years ago. Blind Melon was the support band. He was pretty good live and I have played that album a few times over the last several years. Never been much of a fan on the whole though.
    I'll have to go read up on the Craig Ross connection, I enjoy his album Dead Spy Report and still play it from time to time.

14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I feel I gotta go his way!

jmxw and Nathan Aaron like this.
  15. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

You just reminded me of the support band the night I saw him at Wembley on hi AYGGMW tour. Blind Melon they were pretty good too, did'nt the singer kill himself or something tragic happened. My friend ate a massive lump of hash and was wasted for most of the show, I chose to stay sober & loved every minute.

Old Rusty likes this.
  16. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

He OD'd after a gig in Houston on tour for their next album.

17. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

His first three albums are pretty good. The rest? Not so much. Although I have to admit that there are some good songs on the following two albums. I suspect the rest of his catalogue is similar with a couple of good tunes and a bunch of not so great material.

Ludger likes this.
  18. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Why does it seem that there's only room for one black rock star per generation?

Penny24, intv7, crispi and 1 other person like this.
  19. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Prince & Lenny where around at same time.

20. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Excellent actor, also.

ARK and Daddy Dom like this.
  21. dmiller458

Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, and Bo Diddley were still around when Jimi Hendrix was on top.

But Prince was already an established superstar when Kravitz came along. Prince was the 80s, Kravitz was the 90s, at least the early part. Who came after him? Rucker?

It looks like Leon Bridges and Michael Kiwanuka are poised to breakout in a big way.

I'm really overthinking this...

22. dmiller458

Let him win an Oscar or a Tony, then we can talk about his acting.

23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Never really liked much of what I've heard of his stuff.

He's aged really well, though!

danielbravo likes this.
  24. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

When it came out, I loved how Are You Gonna Go My Way? did such a great job of replicating that raw, funky early 70's analog rock and roll sound. And the two albums before that had their moments, but after that it was all pretty meh to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.