LENO NBC Primetime - 10:00pm MON-FRI (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That's my guess.

2. Sean Murdock

I don't think they could have "easily" cut Jay to two nights a week. Jay rejected a weekly show because he wanted to work every day; I would bet that he had "five days a week" written into the contract.

One thing I think we can all agree on -- Mr. "Handshake Deal" Leno had the better contract. Whether it was more guarantees, more SPECIFIC guarantees, or just a bigger payout for cancellation, the contract is a big part of why Jay is on the air right now and Conan isn't.

3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Fox has the upper hand in contract negotiations with Conan. They really don't need him, but he needs them - unless ABC does an about-face and shows some interest, but that seems unlikely at this stage.

The concern of the local Fox stations over a Conan talk show at 11:00 (or 11:30-5) doesn't surprise me (see post #686).

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No one who has actually read it has said for sure, and Conan is ducking out of sight. This would be a great first question if he ever submits to an interview.

I think the conjecture is exactly right, and NBC was anxious for this to go away. They knew a protracted dispute would just make the network and Leno look worse, and I think it's clear the intent of the contract was that the Tonight Show was inherently an 11:35 show, as it's been for nearly 5 decades.

Having said that: I bet if the timeslot was in the contract, Conan would have said so in his defense. It would've been a natural thing to include in his argument.

I agree 101% with Sean: Leno had a better contract, and was crafty enough to get exactly what he wanted in the end.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A time slot provision may not have been needed for Conan:

-50 years of history
    -He won't get bumped up to 11pm
    -waiting 5 years for a "promotion"
    -not being able to air "The Tonight Show" after midnight may have held up in court.

6. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I'm dubious that the timeslot wasn't covered in Conan's contract. I'd be astonished if Conan didn't have something in his contract about the length of his show.

After all, the Tonight Show used to run 90 minutes until Johnny requested it be cut back to 60. You wouldn't want to be at the mercy of NBC suddenly deciding that the show could be 30 minutes long, like the show NBC offered to Jay when it cancelled his 10.00 pm show.

Once you think about the length of the show it's a natural progression to think about when it's actually shown. If Conan's lawyers didn't put something about the timeslot in the contract then I'd suggest he find new lawyers. I'm sure they're not cheap and it's their job to negotiate the best deal for their client and do the research regarding the kind of contract conditions that would have applied to previous Tonight Show hosts.

I think the reason why cancelling Jay's contract would have cost more than cancelling Conan's comes down to the fact that Jay is paid more than Conan.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That Superbowl commercial is great image rehabilitation strategy by Leno.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree 100%. And while I think a lot of Leno's actions were questionable and sneaky, I gotta give him some props for agreeing to fly to NY (in NBC's corporate jet) and taping the spot on Letterman's turf.

And let's not forget: it was a promo for Letterman's show. That's pretty amazing.

Meanwhile... where's Conan?

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Super Bowl ad

That was awesome! All Dave's idea, of course. :) Brilliant.

dan c

(link includes the ad)

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...erman-oprah-leno-super-bowl-ad-came-together/

10. Sean Murdock

It was a brilliant move for all three, and a total surprise -- and it was CONAN who I expected might pop up in a Super Bowl ad to poke fun at the situation...

11. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Everyone left the room just before the promo aired and there I am alone, literally thinking my eyes were deceiving me as I am watching it. I could not believe what I just saw! Did Jay get approval from NBC or did he just do it?

12. SoundAdvice

NBC got a million dollars worth(what's the exact figure for 30s slot?) of ad time for free. It's a "Letterman" ad because it was broadcast on CBS.

It looked like they shot the thing in 10 minutes and Dave probably left without much more than a "hello".

13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

It's things like Dave's Super Bowl ad that pretty much throw almost anything that any of us say into a uproar. Who could have even IMAGINED that?

14. Sean Murdock

Jay got approval -- why would NBC object?

Read the NY Times article posted above. It took about a half hour, it was Dave's idea, and everyone involved was cordial and professional.

15. SoundAdvice

Letterman is from indianapolis.

16. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

Maybe the settlement didn't allow him to? That would be my only guess. It would have been great, though.

17. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I don't know if this was planned or not, but is it the subtleness of the fact that they're eating Doritos that is just so damn hilarious?

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

...so yes, it was the worst Super Bowl party ever for him. ;)

If only they could have had Uma walk by with more chips, and Dave could have nodded towards Oprah and said, "Have you two been introduced?"

19. Sean Murdock

Dave initially wanted Conan in the ad too, but it didn't work out, likely because (a) this was all arranged as Conan's show was going off the air, and (b) there's no way Conan would want to spend even 25 minutes in the same room with Jay. Sure, Dave and Jay can joke about it -- even if Dave can't stand Jay -- because they are both the "winners" in all this. They both still have THEIR shows. For Conan to take part in it is really too much to ask.

http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/dave-wanted-conan-jay-oprah-super-bowl-promo-13978

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

You're speculating, based on how you would feel if you were in Conan's shoes. If Conan was sincere in his "don't be bitter" farewell speech (and he seemed sincere), I can see him agreeing to do something like this. Doesn't his settlement preclude him appearing on TV for a certain period? That would be just as likely a reason he was not included.

A guy on another board I frequent suggested the perfect punchline if Conan had been included. He could be shown returning from the kitchen with a new bag of chips, and point to Leno and say "Hey, I was sitting there!"

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It would have been even funnier if Conan and Jimmy Kimmel had been involved as well(Conan bringing in some popcorn maybe, wordless).

Still a brilliant spot! I couldn't believe it!

Evan :righton:

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

A Conan involvement could've been interesting, but I thought the ad was damned near perfect as it was... :righton:

23. Sean Murdock

Of course I'm speculating, but it's not like it was a wild, improbable speculation. The deal was made just as Conan's show was collapsing; anyone short of a saint wouldn't be ready to joke about it yet.

That would indeed have been funny...

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Or "Hey that's my seat!"

Evan :laugh:

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

David Letterman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.