Leon Russell question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taxman, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member Thread Starter

I understand from a previous thread that Steve's masters for Leon Russell l and also for the Shelter People were used for the 1995 EMI/ Right Stuff releases. Were these same masters used for the 1997 Anthology? I just picked it up used. While I know Steve will not be credited, I noticed that someone else (Tim Edmondson at Digiprep) was credited for mastering this disc. I'm wondering if Steve's masters were futzed with for the purpose of putting out what is essentially a greatest hits. It doesn't sound bad to me but I am wondering if I need to seek out the 1995 releases for the genuine Hoffman experience?

Also there are three songs on here from Will O' The Wisp (Lady Blue, Back To The Island and Bluebird) and Rolling In My Sweet Arms from Hank Wilson's Back. WOTW and HWB are not in Steve's discography but perhaps these songs were included on Steve's out-of-print Best of Leon Russell. Anyone got that?

As for the music, well I had the LPs back in college. I had forgotten what a pleasure these songs are.

2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Here's what i know...... SH did HWB b/c i have one that gives him credit in one or more place on the disc (the back for sure).

Here's what i think....... if your description of Anthology is "it doesn't sound bad to me" then it's probably not SH's work b/c all the Leon SH's i have blow me away. IMO, it's some of the best work SH ever did!

-Jeffrey

3. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Willow the Wisp was also done by Steve as all his old Shelter titles.
    Very Good indeed!
    Try to pick up a used "Best of" and take off from there.

Joe

4. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I thought there was a recent thread about this- something to the effect that Steve didn't do Will O The Wisp- BUT DCC did. Just wasn't Steve.
    Does that make sense? I may have confused myself:confused:

Chris

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I did all of them for DCC.

6. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Sorry Steve!!!!

I could have sworn I read something last week that said YES DCC did the first CD's, but YOU didn't.

I just couldn't place my finger on the thread.

Do I get 50 lashes????:)

Chris

7. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member Thread Starter

Is it reasonable to believe that, if the mastering on the Anthology is credited to Tim Edmondson, he put his own mark on the sound? I may be answering my own question as to whether I am getting the DCC sound. Unless you are still technically considered to have mastered something even if you leave the sound unchanged. I was listening to it going to work this morning. As for how the Anthology sounds, the ballads have a nice warm, balanced quality. The faster songs are noticably louder and I think have been pumped up.

Now I see the 1995 Shelter People is in the used bin too containing the original Shelter mixes. This I understand is Steve's product but on EMI, right?

8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Your continued description still doesn't sound like SH's work to me! ;)

-Jeffrey

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Yes, get it. Essential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.