Let's dream all together now

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Baron Von Talbot, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

with the belts, i couldnt afford it!:D

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

This thread is for dream systems. Why are there nightmare system posts?

bhazen likes this.
  3. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I know you think you are being cute, but the outlet is junk and you are plagiarizing the quote.

I do not approve of you or the outlet.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

checked and rejected.

5. HiFiSoundGuy

HiFiSoundGuy New Member

For once.. I have to agree with you....that outlet you was comparing the Maestro outlet to is.. "PURE JUNK" ! :righton:

6. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yeah, really. :confused: :sigh:

7. HiFiSoundGuy

HiFiSoundGuy New Member

I think my system sounds pretty "DAMN GOOD" and that's all that matters !...:righton:

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

No, that isn't all that matters. Think about it. If you believe that Hersheys makes the greatest chocolate, then you're missing out on the real thing. If you believe that a car can be no better than a Chevy, then you're missing out on the real thing. If you are happy with Olive Garden, then you may never experience real Italian.

The internet is supposed to open minds. Seriously.

Ron P. likes this.
  9. In all fairness, he is merely claiming that he loves the sound of his system and that is all that matters to him. How can you argue with that?

10. OK, so now I understand there us a new challenge--assemble a "dream system" for $10k. I don't think this is "dream system" territory, but I will attempt to assemble one at that price point and then post it here. I guess it will be more of a "catnap" system as a full-on dream is not possible at that price level! :D

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I do believe that the lack of editing before posting makes most people go to a default position of defending their perceptions or positions rather than slowing down and consider expanding them or modifying them. By and large, people are afraid of the unknown and fight back with what they know or believe.

The thought that there are some things that can't be quantified but are constantly being experienced by others upsets people who haven't experienced these things so far and feel left out. A lot of people go so far as to question the validity of those perceptions, no matter the nature of the cited experiences or background of the person giving those observations.

12. I have an easy answer for a $10k system--a few of them, actually. For starters, you could put together a nice all-Rega system for 10k.

Rega P3-24
    Rega Bias 2
    Rega Elicit
    Rega Apollo
    Rega RS7

I will attempt to but together a CJ system for $10k:

CJ LP66S
    CJ Classic SE
    Triangle Comete 30th Anniversary Special Edition

Still thinking about what source components would have good synergy with the CJ's and also cone under the $10k level. It will be rough because there is only $1750 to spend on digital and vinyl playback. Might have to make it an all digital system . . .

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

He is claiming that his system is a "dream system" to him and that's all that matters. This point can be argued. I, too, am pleased with my system, but that doesn't prevent me from coming to the realization and appreciation that there is gear out there that would blow my mind. I don't feel disappointed with my system and I don't feel as if I must upgrade 24/7, but I also wouldn't want to trap myself in the prison of narrow-minded thinking that leads me to the conclusion that I've heard it all. I don't have a dream system. So what. I don't drive my dream car. I likely don't have a dream job either. I mean, if everything was a dream, then what would be the point coming here to learn about the experiences of others!?

Ron P. likes this.
  14. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

New CJ Classic w/phono $2500
    Used CJ MV 50 $700
    New Vandersteen 1C's $1200
    RSA Elgar $1000
    ED I/C's and spkr cable $700
    Clearaudio Concept $1400
    Clearaudio Maestro Wood $1000
    Rega DAC $1000
    Used Denon 3910 $250

$9750, cables, and power conditioner. Rega DAC will play high res and the Denon will play every format, SACD, DVD-a and use dig output to the Rega for better quality 16/44 playback.

bhazen likes this.
  15. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

:righton: AMEN TO THAT!! :righton:

like i said before, there is a certain pleasure to be found
    in being perfectly satisfied in something,
    especially in a hobby that can become as prohibitively expensive
    as this one can.

furthermore, there is almost no end of Vintage and near-Vintage Hi-Fi
    out there, of all makes and models, that can be had today for very reasonable prices,
    in light of not only what their original price was, but also in direct comparison to whatever their current equivalents might be.

indeed, these items have a value all their own that simply cannot be quantified
    by their current market dollar value.
    they are products of a quality, design and overall value that can no longer be found in the modern Hi-Fi market,
    and we're all the poorer for it...

Ron P. likes this.
  16. OK, if I knock off the SE from the Classic and the 30th Anniversary Special Edition, and taking into account several sales going on, there is more room to play around:

CJ LP66S - $4500 (but can be had for $3000)
    CJ Classic w/ phono - $2800 (but can be had for $2150)
    Triangle Comete EX - $1295 (but can be had for less)

You could get these three components for around $6500. I would spend the remaining $3500 as follows:

Clearaudio Concept w/MM cartridge - $1500 (I trust Jeff's recommendation on this; I was going to suggest a Michell TecnoDec and Shelter 501 II, but that would only leave $700 or so for digital playback).

Oppo BDP-95 - $999

$1000 left over for cables (and power conditioning if you so desire).

Wow, I guess it isn't that hard to put together a great system for $10k!

17. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Of course you, Billybudapest, HiFi sound guy, and Macgyver are all right......or, at least partially. I do agree with you mostly for I am very big on "reality testing". I do it every day. My favorite bumper sticker is, "Don't believe everything you think", and I am not a fan of complacency.

Many....most?.... people do not want to be enlightened.

I suspect you, like me, feel it is a "brave new world"...everyday. And that that is a good thing.

I also am always looking for the next new thing to blow my mind.

18. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Nicely put MacGyver.
    Thank you.

19. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

All excellent choices. Being a tuner freak...... just the picture of the Marantz 10B makes me happy.

20. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Ron, do you realize you're replying to a thread from 2011?

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Cara. You forgot about the Yacht. ;)

22. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Those components on those Greek audiophile websites have what I like. John Mermigas

23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I guess my dream system would be the best one I've heard so far:

Line Magnetic 515 CD deck
    Leben 600(?) amp
    DeVore Orangutan speakers
    Auditorium 23 wires
    Box Furniture stand

A mere $20k or so. For actually playing music, this beats many $200k+ systems I've heard.

24. Mortsnets

Mortsnets Forum Resident

Yeah, I'd take one of those too, but with an Artisan Fidelity turntable and can't decide between Leben, Shindo or Air Tight electronics.
    In my dream that is.

25. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.