Let's Talk About...THE SONICS!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kelhard, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stu66

Stu66 Forum Resident

I had first heard of the Sonics via a mail order catalog of books (mostly) and records that I found in my Aunt's house back in 1982. There was a Sonics LP listed and they were described as a cross between The Yardbirds and Little Richard and I made a mental note to find out more about this band. I ended up coming across used copy of their 3rd LP (reissued as "Original Northwest Punk") at a flea market a couple months later. They had a portable record player so I was able to sample the LP. I came home with $10 less in my wallet and new major influence on my guitar playing style.

I haven't heard the new LP yet but I dig the track that they leaked from it. I plan on picking up the LP at the Stone Pony show next week. Looking forward to it!

BIG ED likes this.
  2. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Psycho-Sonic"
    BIG Beat Records ‎– CDWIKD 115
    1993 & 2003 [same catalog #]

i had the '93 way B4 i got the '03; which i reconizED as the same tracks butt in a diff order & being an audiophile/collector nabbed it on the chance.
    The 1st thought of the 1st play of the '03 was that it was "LOUDER", which in the past at that point hadn't been a good thing IMO [nor since].
    Going back&forth i preferED the '93 even w/the "live" cuts [a BIG bonus for me on this release(s)/even not being a recorded "live" like of guy].
    vs.
    "Better tape sources and new remastering have improved the sound quality - This compilation ℗ 2003 Ace Records Ltd. © 2003 Ace Records Ltd.":
    http://www.discogs.com/Sonics-Psycho-Sonic/release/664172
    therefore, every one should check this out themselves, or maybe go for "better tape sources" w/the '03 if you don't have the title at all & want too check it out.

Any one else happy w/the '93?

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

4. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Picked up the 2007 Ace Records remasters of both Here Are The Sonics!!! and Boom without extra tracks but they sound amazing.

Is Introducing The Sonics on Jerden Records worth picking up? What would be the best CD copy, if so?

5. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

SQ Q:

"The Witch" [both T1/just "Witch" on the BIG BEAT/corrected on the 2003 issue tho]
    "Introducing The Sonics" SundazED Music ‎SC 6198 Mono re-issue 2004 ~ originally Jerden LP JRL-7007 1966 for track 1 the producer credit is Etiquette Productions.
    &
    "Psycho-Sonic" BIG BEAT Records ‎CDWIKD 115 Mono 1993 issue ~ CD post production at Sound Mastering Ltd.

Too me the track sounds 'dry' on "Psycho Sonics" & more 'echoey' on the on 'Introducing'.
    Has one else heard any differences w/the mono "The Witch"?

BIG thanks.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Psycho Sonics must be the most top loaded compilation of all time. All the really dodgy covers, ballads and 'live' tracks are right at the end of the CD. Nine tenths of it is CLASSIC, though.

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

(This Is The Sonics is possibly the best album of pure rock 'n' roll released this century!! (So far, anyways...)
    And it's in glorious >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MONO!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    And yeah, they tear it up live; any concerns about their calendar ages are rendered laughable.

(I may be biased, as Freddie Dennis and Larry Parypa are old friends and bandmates.)

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I just finished 2 nights of The Sonics in New York City and Asbury Park.................both were great, wish I was seeing more. Age definitely hasn't slowed them down. The setlist is pretty much what you've seen if you've seen them the last few years...........most of the new album songs aren't really new live.

If your going to see them the next few months, get there early enough for the opener - Barrence Whitfield & The Savages - they're really good too.

sixelsix likes this.
  9. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I saw them last night. This isn't just some oldies band boogieing through the hits. Go see them if you get a chance.

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They came here a few years ago as guests of The Hoodoo Gurus and they blew the Gurus off the stage.

Bonddm likes this.
  11. guitarget

guitarget Forum Resident

The new album is GREAT! too ... kept waiting for a filler song (or two)... didnt happen, it rocks.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  12. LandHorses

A pro recording/filming was done of the 4/12/15 Philly show.................

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Live" SF CA US last night at "The Fillmore":
    http://thefillmore.com/event/the-sonics-with-barrence-whitfield-the-savages/
    opening band "Barrence Whitfield & The Savages" was a "scream!!!", literally, he screamED throughout the set [awesome/w/a booming bass/drum backbeat too boot]!

"The Sonics" were "strong", P.A. mix wasn't too loud butt everything was over-modulatED (electric bass esp/which like completely 'lost it' near the end) therefore sounding like the records. :righton:

[enough detail/just hard too hear the keys w/o him banging on them/which he did throughout/the vocals losing transients tho was the BIG deal IMO]

Super glad i heard 'em/saw 'em, 1st time ever "live", while the show surpassED me expectations as well!!
    [venue was like 10 times better than the last time i was there/the Lagunitas Pils 'Czech Style Pilsner' on tap went well w/the herb oil/the chocolate chip cookies were good for two bucks too!!]

Jello Biafra, of SF's own "Dead Kennedys, sang w/'em as well:
    https://instagram.com/p/2c3b3lNb2E/

Enjoy.

14. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I've been on a garage rock binge as of late and just recently picked up the first two Sonics albums. Having only been familiar with several hits from the "Nuggets" set I have to say that both of these records......totally blew me away!!!!!!!!!

Why aren't these guys more popular? I know that sounds cliche but holy.........(fill in the blank).....Batman!!!!!! I immediately came here and did a search to find a thread on this band.

I hope to pick up their latest record, This Is the Sonics, this weekend after hearing that album.

15. LandHorses

There's a lot of new Sonics dates from March through June in the US.....including a just announced tour with Barrence Whitfield & The Savages and The Woggles.

http://thesonicsboom.com/

davers and Randu like this.
  16. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident Thread Starter

(reviving the thread, somewhat)

OK, so I discovered that both "Here Are The Sonics" and "Boom" were issued in stereo versions by Etiquette. I have a rip of an original Etiquette stereo of "Here Are" and the only mono track on that one is "The Witch". The 1984 French "Fan Club" version is a repress of the stereo.
    Now, what about "Boom"? Can anyone confirm how many tracks are in stereo?
    Also learned that "Introducing The Sonics" on Jerden was also released in stereo as well, but have only heard the mono Sundazed reissue.

17. kelhard

Well the big difference between the '93 and the 2003 is the different running order and the inclusion of true stereo tracks on the '03. But the '93 is hard to beat for the stuff in mono!!!!

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

True stereo? Wow -- never knew. I'd like to hear those.

19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

The Sonics with members of the Hives (anybody remember them?)

highway chile likes this.
  20. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Yeah,The Gurus had a hissy fit and wouldn't come back out for an encore!

arriano likes this.
  21. iggyd

iggyd Forum Resident

Interesting interview with The Sonic's Larry Parypa here
    I've seen them twice in the last couple of years and they still put on a great high energy show.
    If you get a chance catch them live while you still can.

davers likes this.
  22. Stu66

Stu66 Forum Resident

Only 3 tracks from "Boom!" have true stereo mixes: "Shot Down", "He's Waiting" and "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark". These true stereo mixes aren't on the original stereo issue of "Boom!" That whole LP is fake stereo and sounds horrible.

The true stereo mixes are available on the updated version of the Big Beat "Psycho-Sonic" comp along with all the stereo mixes from the first LP and as well as a stereo version of the B-side, "The Hustler"

davers and kelhard like this.
  23. kelhard

Thanks for the info, Stu. Looks like I won't be looking for a stereo press of "Boom" if its that bad.

24. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

@kelhard ... though it doesn't indicate this anywhere on the sleeve or record, the 1984 Etiquette vinyl of Here Are the Sonics is the stereo mix. Just found one and was pretty surprised to discover a stereo mix existed!

It also uses the original '60s Monarch stampers. And has a weird alternate front cover shot.

kelhard likes this.
  25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I just saw the sonics open for Robert plant today and they were great! Played the hits and new songs and really got the crowd into it.

So I don't think the normal singer was there though? So the only originals would be the guitarist and sax player? The bassist was a chubby guy who looked a little younger than the old folks, and he did most of the singing. The drummer looked late 40s, and the organ guy was the youngest, black longer hair and glasses. He sang a few of the new ones and the bassist sang the rest. So what happened to the main singer, I thought he played organ? The bass player did GREAT singing the songs including the screams but it's always a little weird seeing a 60s band with only 2 original guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.