Linda Ronstadt - Silk Purse on CD information help needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blue Cactus, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been searching for a CD copy of Silk Purse preferably on the Japan pastmasters I or II series, supermasters or cool price editions but I'm coming up empty handed. Linda's Home Grown/Hand Sewn and S/T I have on the supermasters series and they weren't hard to find but I'm beginning to doubt the existence of Silk Purse (except for the recent SHM CD's which I'm not interested in) or did this tile simply get missed? Besides all three Stone Poneys albums were issued on the '92 supermasters series along with the Different Drum compilation. This has got me baffled.

Anyone know?

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Dunno about the ones you're referring to, but I have the original Capitol CD (CDP 0777 7 80126 2 7) and the BGO reissue.

3. Blue Cactus

So how do those sound?

4. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

FYI........ I saw today that Varèse Sarabande just released a new CD pressing with the original 10 tracks. No bonus tracks or hyper mastering. Just the (original?) green Capitol label and some expanded humorist fold-out liner notes delving into the history of the release. Was released in May and in a regular jewel case at normal pricing. Took me by surprise and seemed kind of odd.
    Linda Ronstadt: Silk Purse | Varèse Sarabande »

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  6. Blue Cactus

I have The Best Of Capitol Years 2 CD set and the mastering leaves lots to be desired. Compressed and heavy handed n/r. I do keep it around for the bonus tracks (It Won't Be Easy is an unearthed gem.)

Interesting fact about the live Rescue Me.

I was hoping to locate an original Japan CD issue of Silk Purse (if it exists) since the Hand Sewn/Home Grown and S/T Japan issues sound about as good as they're gonna get.

7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

That is an odd surprise. It looks like Varese released it on LP for Record Store Day 2015. I missed hearing about that too. I have the original LP.

YOUR CHANCE TO WIN! Varese Reissues Linda Ronstadt's "Silk Purse" - The Second Disc »

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

A Japan CD is not listed on Discogs, which is not infallible, but it isn't there.
    https://www.discogs.com/Linda-Ronstadt-Silk-Purse/master/14772

I see this 2-fer from Raven of Australia, with Hand Sown, haven't heard it:
    LINDA RONSTADT - Hand Sown Home Grown / Silk Purse - Amazon.com Music »

9. Blue Cactus

10. Blue Cactus

I haven't heard the Raven issue either but if the Varese Sarabande CD is done just as well as the vinyl, I may just get that.

Silk Purse may have just slipped thru the cracks over in Japan.

11. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I like the old "Made In Holland" issues of her 3 1st albums. The Ravens sound too much like The Best Of Capitol Years, compressed and causes your ears to bleed. The rather recent BGO collection is not bad either.

Blue Cactus likes this.
  12. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I think you'll be pleased with the waveforms.

"Nobody's"
    Original Capitol release
    [​IMG]

BGO reissue (remastered by Andrew Thompson)
    [​IMG]

Blue Cactus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.