Line Magnetic 518IA Integrated Amp and 502CA DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IanL, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I love it - a complete stereo system voiced to work together without a bunch of competing technologies fighting against each other. And I can almost tell the speakers will be good - almost by looking at the cabinet dimensions. Gee what do they remind me of? :)

SandAndGlass, IanL and Metralla like this.
  2. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

Not your typical 1980s "rack" system

3. Richard Austen

Yes Arnold in his prime would have difficulty lifting that rack!! He'd need a back brace and Lou Ferrigno to help him.

IanL likes this.
  4. james

james Summon The Queen

i've never wanted anything more than this picture

or anything @Brian Gupton has posted

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think that gear could look great in actual in-wall recessed rack mount. Free standing like that it looks a bit odd.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It looks like diagnostic equipment at an automotive service center.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Either that or something from a control booth at NORAD. I'm picturing this Stanley Kubrik listening room where that takes up one wall. Maybe between the TVs?

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, Dennis0675 and IanL like this.
  8. IanL

I think the 518ia (and all their other gear in the silver and gold series) is far more attractive than all these photos being posted of their utilitarian-looking esoteric gear from the other brother's half of the company.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Agreed, I would be proud to have the 518 in my living room.

IanL likes this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The only problem I have with the Line Magnetic gold series is the fact that as Herb Reichert pointed out in his review, that's not gold, it's orange. It's not bad looking, but I think I would have preferred IRL gold like Leben vs. orangegold.

Potential Energy likes this.
  11. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Looks blue to me.

JMAC likes this.
  12. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that. I thought that Grant Fidelity burned in their tubes for 50 hours before shipping to make sure stuff like this didn't happen?

IanL likes this.
  13. IanL

It must have been jostled in shipping (all the way from Hong Kong). Each tube does come with a test card showing measurements, so the tube obviously worked at some point in order for them to take their readings.

14. IanL

It's not orange. It is much closer to gold than orange. I would say it is sort of a cross between gold and copper. No question it is an acquired taste. I thought it looked odd the first time I saw a photo of it. But it grew on me. And now that I listen to it every day, it looks beautiful to me because I associate it's looks with how it sounds. Having both the 518ia and the DAC on my equipment rack certainly makes a statement.

I too like the gold look of Leben. I like the look of Conrad Johnson stuff too.

pscreed, Dennis0675 and Rolltide like this.
  15. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Agree, it is more goldish/copper then orange to me.

Guess I am still one of the strange ones though..... I love the look of the classic line (pretty much all of it).

16. Would love to hear this system!

SandAndGlass and GoldprintAudio like this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think all you need is a ticket to china

SandAndGlass and Brian Gupton like this.
  18. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

Okay I'm curious. What the hell is in that DAC ? Valves very likely. Monster power supply. Chip ? Got to be old school, surely not the Sabre ?

19. Richard Austen

The 502 has a Sabre 9016 and tube and SS stage - this classic one probably is similar.

• Sample rate 32-bit, 44.1kHz through 192kHz, displayed on front panel

• Asynchronous technology for ultra-low jitter/distortion

• Top of the line ESS Sabre 9016 DAC chip [at the time of the review]

• Tube rectified analog circuits utilizing the 6Z4 full wave rectifier tube

• Dual output stages – Tube (12au7 dual triode) output and Solid-State output stage.

• Flexible installation with 5 input choices – AES/EBU, BNC, USB, Optical and Coaxial

• Dual transformer design – Toroidal type handles digital circuits and EI for Analogue circuits
    The 502's back panel holds the power cord receptacle, asynchronous USB input, optical and coaxial inputs, BNC and balanced AES/EBU inputs. The USB input features XMOS USB technology using high-speed USB 2.0 receiving and decoding 32/192kHz signals. The two 12AU7/ECC82 tubes act to buffer the signal to output.

Review and photos here http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue74/line_magnetic.htm

wwright and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

Yes I've seen the 502. I would be very surprised if it's the same chip, although the 515 player has another variation of the sabre.

Given the ethos of the classic line I would expect no compromise valve regulated power supplies maybe even transformer coupled output.

21. IanL

I just wanted to comment on this rectifier tube that John recommended. Tonight I replaced the NOS Philips 5R4GYS with the new production Genalex U77/GZ34. So, a couple hours so far. Kind of like a young wine. Obvious it needs more time. However, unlike a young wine, I am enjoying it tremendously. It is a lighter presentation than the Philips. The Philips is pretty dark. The Philips, with plenty of hours on it, has the better bass. More detail and texture, and better pacing and rhythm. But those are all things that will likely improve on the Genalex as it gets more hours on it. The Genalex bass is just as deep, so I have hope that with time, it will become more refined. The Genalex presents vocals more forward in the mix. It also does a better job of separating different elements within the mix, especially those elements that are percussive and/or down in the bass region. It is a little brighter too. Not bright in an absolute sense, but less rolled off in the treble. So, more energy in brass instruments, etc. Overall, a very balanced-sounding tube. When fully burnt-in, I wouldn't be surprised if I prefer it to the Philips. I already like what it is doing with some music better. Thanks, John, for letting me know about this tube. I think it cost me $31. For that price, it is a screaming deal.

All that said, I have a NOS Mullard metal base 5AR4 on the way. Supposed to be one of the best rectifiers ever made. We'll see... (can you tell I am addicted to tubes?)

wwright and james like this.
  22. james

james Summon The Queen

Cool. Ordered. Thanks for the review

IanL likes this.
  23. IanL

James, did you ever buy that Philips rectifier?

24. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I'm reeaaalllly enjoying the Amperex Bugle Boy 12ax7s (branded as Hammond). The have opened things up immensely. Vocals are much more realistic and natural. And the bass, THE BASS! Dramatic improvement. I can't wait to roll in the NOS RCA 6L6GCs when I get them this week. I'm also using the same Philips rectifier mentioned above. After the RCAs, I'm done rolling for a bit.

But definitely try the Amperex if you can.

IanL and james like this.
  25. james

james Summon The Queen

I did not. I'm planning on picking up some 12AX7's first. My amp arrived with two different preamp tubes, so I grabbed some JJ's from work and have been using those. Both the mixed set and the JJ's both sound good to me, but "the Internet" has decided JJ's aren't great so paranoia will have me swapping them