Line of Duty; fantastic BBC drama-series!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Yovra, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads Thread Starter

The best cop series of the last few years! :righton:

Deesky likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep, and before that there was MI5 (not strictly a cop series), but I would put it in the same league.

Brenald79 and Yovra like this.
  3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

MI5/Spooks is probably my all-time favorite series. So many memorable characters and episodes. Was there ever a bad episode?

Deesky likes this.
  4. Yovra

It's back and the first episode has its jaw-dropping moments! :)
    One of the strong points (also in earlier series); you keep on second-guessing who's really the 'bad guy'; all of the characters have their flaws and even with the ''bad guys'' you sort of understand where their actions come from.

Deesky likes this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Is it necessary to rewatch the previous series at all? Is it a completely new series with new events and only the core characters and their general backstories is all that's required. Another words, are there any plot elements being carried over from the previous series into this one?

6. Yovra

I haven't seen any references to previous series yet, so it isn't requiered (but I have rewatched series 1 and 2 and that was a nice experience).

7. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

No, so far it feels like a fresh start, only the familiar AC12 characters remain.
    Thandie Newton is in it, not sure how long she'll last!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I thought episode 1 was a huge disappointment, from Newton's permanent scowl to the ridiculous 'fight.' Hope it picks up.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I liked it more than you seemed to, although I concede that the ep felt a little more 'pulpy' than normal. I don't fault Newton's disposition given the pressure she appears to have been under in recent times (and there may be other reasons not yet hinted at).
    Yeah, it looked bleak for her, but given that she's the starring guest actor, I think she'll make it all the way to the end.

10. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

That ending was brilliant. Every time I watch the first episode of a Line Of Duty series, I'm always intrigued how it will resolve itself. This one is no exception. Can't wait for next Sunday's episode.

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Loved the first episode. The violence came out of nowhere at the end. What a great night of TV with Homeland, Billions, and this.

12. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Stronger, more familiar feel to Episode 2 I felt.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep, good episode. I wonder if the crossed out 30 replaced with 13 on the blood sample bag will come back to haunt her...

14. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

She's tripping up badly already. I still foresee more twists and turns.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Twists and turns are in this show's DNA. Apart from the murder/possible suspect stitch-up, I'm seeing another turn developing. Sexism in the force.

There's good old Ted Hastings throwing around words like 'darlin' & 'wee-girls', calling Kate 'an attractive young woman' to her face when she is overlooked for a promotion over Steve. She also makes a pointed remark to Huntley that she wouldn't have been taken off the case if she were a bloke. Huntley herself was subjected to non-pc remarks by her superior (who appears to be clueless in general).

Then, to really hit us over the head, Hastings makes reference to 'Pan's People', just to make sure everyone gets that he belongs to the dinosaur generation. It all seemed a little too obvious for sexual discrimination (no matter how non-malicious it may seem to those doing it) not to play a big role in the series. I expect more fireworks between Kate & Steve arising out of this.

16. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Well episode 2 was a curve ball, although given it's Line Of Duty it wasn't an absolute surprise. Perhaps one of the stitch ups will prove correct, whilst Kate and Steve continue to be the bad 'guys'.

I thought the sexism was mainly used for effect, ramping up the pressure during the Huntley interview and Kate bonding with Huntley. Hasting reluctance in going for a drink with Kate, seemed very sensible (you'd understand if you watched The Replacement) and Hasting's "Pans People" seemed to be about his age the potential misreading of his actions, especially given his previous behavior and his subsequent divorce. These people are playing mind games, they speak with forked tongues.

17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Ted and Steve definitely got the best of Huntley in the interview scene. Ted was especially viscous. She did get a nice jab into Steve after the tape stopped asking how many special Ops he's run lead on.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

:yikes: I didn't see that coming, that's what I love about this show.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, that was unexpected, but I thought it was handled clumsily. Why would Arnott be engaging Nick in a lengthy phone conversation when he's just outside his building coming to see him? Seems daft. Clearly it was just an plot device so that Arnott wouldn't get the urgent phone call warning. And the cell reception problems while in the lift were just as bad.

Arnott must survive (I suppose), but seriously, how could anyone survive that kind of beating and fall?

Also, why isn't Roz getting that arm wound treated properly, clearly it's festering. She could go see a GP in a far away location and while her details would be recorded (I doubt such records are centralized & searchable), they would be confidential, therefore the police would never be notified - it was, after all, just a scratch, not a gunshot wound. I fear the wound will play a vital part in her takedown. I would prefer that she be taken down trough pure investigative work.

Minor quibbles aside, an immensely enjoyable episode.

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, it was clumsily handled, especially the phone reception thing, what sort of phone doesn't have call waiting these days? However It was still a good surprise.
    I assume the wound has been infected with bacteria from Tim Ifield which no doubt will conclusively prove he was in a struggle with Roz, I know this isn't one of those countries where you can buy any antibiotics you want over the counter, but at the same time it's hardly difficult to get a prescription or find someone with an unused one, she's an intelligent woman, surely she would have sorted it out and thereby not given Kate all those obvious clues playing with her sleeve.

21. Pastafarian

Can I just remind people not to do spoilers, I'm running 1 episode behind with series 4. Others may be farther behind, too much detail's a pain.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Do what I do - don't read the comments unless you're up to date. It's just common sense...

23. Pastafarian

Common sense, that's were I'm going wrong:nyah:. Anyway I'm behind because I'm watching Vera, another worthy crime drama

24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Totally agree about the arm. It's the blood on Lady Macbeth's hand but the frequency with which it appears is killing the effect, as is Newton's acting. Still, it's a fun ride so far.

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It was funny what the new AC-12 guy said to Steve about taking the interviewed girl out for drink, saying it was just an interview technique, to actual do that would be desperate, considering Steve's past history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.