Lineup changes that actually improved the band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Sorry, but I see that situation exactly the opposite of how you see it.

2. zen

zen Senior Member

No problem. I actually enjoyed reading your comment...thus reaffirming the point.

zelox likes this.
  3. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

I hate seeing any diss of Bob Welch. He did so much to keep that group afloat.

duggan likes this.
  4. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Endangered species citing! → You're one of the few who prefer the R&B Moodies over the Mellotron Moodies.

5. Atmospheric

That but also I find the best parts of the Welch era genuinely interesting and engaging music. BN is just one long snooze fest for me. I especially don't feel the LB is a world class guitarist at all, but I know many disagree with me on that.

6. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree regarding the entire Welch period. He played beautifully backing up Danny Kirwan, and later with Bob Weston. He also hit stride harmonizing with Christine McVie as evidenced by the Mystery To Me release. Even his solo guitar project with the Mac (HAHTF) in 1974 was fantastic imo.

As for Lindsay, he's a great guitarist in his own right. You don't get picked up by the Mac without cutting it in that department - second class candidates need not apply :unhunh:. Just listen to Buckingham on The Dance alone for some fine and engaging guitar work. "I'm So Afraid", "Big Love" and "Go Insane" will definitely serve to showcase that by way of examples. YouTube 'em.

7. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Frank Sampedro is the obvious one. They made Zuma and turned into the greatest band in the history of the world...

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  8. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

Very good point

This is what is so enjoyable about this site, very informative. I think I'm going to listen to some of the Peter Green era stuff now, thanks.

zelox likes this.
  9. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I'd swap you my GHS, IORR trajectory for your Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You one anyday.

Let's not bother to repeat the positions that have been aired so many times on this forum.

10. Outside-Looking In

Outside-Looking In Forum Resident

Well, I didn't say I preferred it, did I?

11. Outside-Looking In

Although I overall prefer the Taylor years over the Wood years (and the Jones years easily over both), I'd agree that the SG-ER-TY run is vastly superior to GHS and IORR, and at least on par to SF and EOMS.

duggan likes this.
  12. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Television: Better without Richard Hell
    The Soft Boys: Better with Kimberly Rew
    The Yardbirds: Better with Jeff Beck/Jimmy Page
    The Beatles: Better without Tony Sheridan

13. Outside-Looking In

Funny you say that, since the Beck/Page line-up only lasted for a few months and recorded just three songs, only two of which (Happenings Ten Years Time Ago and Stroll On) featured both Beck and Page on co-lead guitar

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I meant Beck or Page as well...as opposed to Topham or Clapton.

Outside-Looking In likes this.
  15. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

16. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Totally agree with this entire post.

Big fan of both the Welch and BN era Mac.

Future Games is just one of those albums that never gets old. Ditto for Mystery to Me.

zelox likes this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A couple strong albums from Badfinger line-up of Pete Ham, Tom Evans, Mike Gibbins & Joey Molland.

1970-1974

[​IMG]

18. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I enjoy all versions of the FM evolution, the Future Games album is great, and that's the period when Mick & McVie really upped their game on bass and drums. Are they the longest surviving original rhythm section?

[​IMG]
    early one of Buckingham Nicks - on stage at the Troubadour 1973

vamborules and zelox like this.
  19. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Indeed. I don't care for the guys solo stuff, but his work in FM was very good and he did seem to prop up and bring new life to a band that was probably getting a bit tired of itself due to the lineup changes.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I can see the argument. The first 2 albums with Mick Taylor were great, but "GHS" and "IORR" were mediocre at best. When Wood joined, the band rebounded.

Yes, the Stones produced arguably their greatest work with MT in tow, but do we have real reason to believe that version of the band would've been good had it continued past 1974? "GHS" and "IORR" don't give me a lot of confidence...

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'd take Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock 'N' Roll over Black and Blue, Some Girls, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You. Tattoo You even has 2 tracks with Mick Taylor on them. Black And Blue and Emotional Rescue are the Stones weakest albums of the seventies.

zen and zelox like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And there's where we part company! :)

"B&B" is inconsistent, but it has a few great songs on it. Same goes for "ER".

"GHS" and "IORR" just leave me almost totally cold - even the "good songs" remain forgettable to me.

I've listened to those albums umpty-ump times over the decades but they never "stick". There are still a few songs on each I can't remember by title even though I've heard them so many times. If you put a gun to my head and told me to hum "Winter" or "Till the Next Goodbye", I'd be dead! :D

23. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Oh yes and Doug Yule... Kidding. Moe replacing Angus on drums in the VU.

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Yeah, brain fart.

25. Atmospheric

For LB is just an OK guitarist. He doesn't do much for me. Just my opinion.

I also feel that Welch was a damned sight better than the mere backing musician you say he was. Again, just my opinion.

dino77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.