Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

That's a common attitude on that forum, and some members relish engaging in rock throwing contests. Talk Classical has some of the most inane posts imaginable, so thank goodness for this site!

Wes H likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I agree with coopmv in that some people seem to think they're the authority on Classical Music and that their opinions (because that's what they are, nothing more and nothing less) should be taken as gospel as coopmv put it. For them there's hardly any room for differing opinions. Some classical music lovers are the most intolerant people I've met, both on- and offline. Same goes for some jazz lovers. Sad, really.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Matt Richardson and Wes H like this.
  3. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Wow, that is something - even on my small pc speakers it oozes atmosphere and I find it quite scary ...
    Imagine if I unleashed it on the main system! :yikes:

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It was beyond scary at the concert! I don't any system can really do justice to the sound of a massive pipe organ fully unleashed!

julesd68 likes this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It really irks me when people dismiss world-class musicians such as Gergiev, Rattle, Trivonov, etc. It's too bad the the finest orchestras and concert venues/organizations in the world don't possess these armchair experts' astounding musical insight so they don't waste time on such hacks. It's one thing not to like a conducting or playing style, but it sounds so arrogant and even ignorant to claim they are talentless or some such nonsense.

ibanez_ax likes this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I like Rattle's Mahler, but what do I know?

Kundera the joke. likes this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Spotify Premium. Korngold is my favorite movie score composer.

[​IMG]

Between Two Worlds: Judgement Day (30:15)
    1 The World At War – The Next World 1:52
    2 The Blitz In London 2:15
    3 The Ship 2:00
    4 The Pianist At The Piano 2:21
    5 Fear – Entrance Of The Examiner 0:54
    6 The Minister 2:08
    7 The Nazi-collaborator 0:43
    8 The Young Actress And Her Boyfriend, A Journalist 3:11
    9 The Journalist's Mother 4:20
    10 The Fate Of The Pianist And His Wife 2:13
    11 The Sound Of Breaking Glass – The Ship Sails Again 2:31
    12 The Second Sound Of Breaking Glass – The Pianist Walks Away 1:52
    13 The Pianist's Wife Begs To Be Reunited With Him 1:37
    14 Return To The London Flat 2:18

Symphonic Serenade, Op.39
    15 I Allegro Moderato, Semplice 10:28
    16 II Intermezzo: Allegro Molto 4:13
    17 III Lento Religioso 13:57
    18 IV Finale: Allegro Con Fuoco 7:22

19 Theme And Variations, Op.42 9:29

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, ubertrout and bluemooze like this.
  8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The only Mahler I’ve heard that I don’t like is Zinman’s. I’ve streamed Rattle’s 2nd and there was nothing wrong with it to me, but also nothing to recommend it over the 2nds I already own.

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I haven't heard his Second. I own his Fifth and Ninth with Berlin. I listen as much as the other Mahler I own.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, it may irk you, but I do reserve the right to dislike what I've heard of Gergiev and Rattle - it's my taste and opinion and if you don't respect that, you have lost my respect. Talking about intolerant lovers of classical music… By the way, I don't know who did, but I've never claimed they are talentless or something like that; it's not for me to say.

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Please re-read my last sentence more carefully.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've added to my post.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think there's a contradiction in your post; in my view there is not much difference - if at all - between dismissing musicians like Gergiev and Rattle (in the sense of not liking what they do) and not liking their recordings.

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Lots of people in various forums have made such dismissive comments, and I just used those musicians as examples.

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Not at all. I don't particularly like most of Glenn Gould's interpretations, for instance, but I would never dismiss him as a talentless hack. There's a huge difference between dismissing and disliking.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Read my post carefully - I said dismissing "in the sense of not liking what they do".

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Maybe it's a language issue, but not liking is not the same as dismissing.

Oh, the joys of the internet: Where else can you anonymously argue with a stranger over a trivial matter? I'm done here.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Maybe it's indeed a language issue - English is not my native language - but I know there's a difference. However, what I meant when I said there's not much difference is that I doubt people are making a distinction between dismissing and not liking: they don't like someone's work, so they dismiss them. The joys of nuances...

19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Any suggestions for some of the stronger sonatas from Lucchesini's cycle to sample?

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sorry, can't help, listened to this set a few times last year but not since then and didn't make any notes (I never do).

hvbias likes this.
  21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my Mendelssohn collection with Cyprien Katsaris on the piano ...

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Grieg collection ...

[​IMG]

23. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

2018 is turning out to be quite a strange year for me. Having spent most of my life focusing mainly on the works of German composers (including Austrians) - as they were the ones that ''spoke'' to me most - I've recently ''rediscovered'' Shostakovich and Fauré. I've listened to Shostakovich before, and have enjoyed a couple of symphonies, but nothing more. For some inexplicable reason - maybe it's the water filtration system in my city - I've been listening to his string quartets almost daily for the past two months and have even purchased a version of the quartets after extensive auditions. It's a wonderful feeling when you discover something new - sort of like going to Salzburg for the first time.

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

With over 7,200 CD/SACD's and only three of them are by Rattle, yours truly is not exactly a major Rattle's fan. I could never understand when Abbado stepped down, why did BPO not go with either Eschenbach or Thielemann? If they really did not want to get anyone that had anything to do with Karajan (due to the bad blood created at Karajan's exit), Abbado was a Karajan's student to begin with ...

25. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Mahler is like Beethoven, insofar as interpretations are concerned. It's also very divisive due to the nature of the music (and the composers) involved. That said, each person feels the music differently. If you like Rattle for Mahler, why not? If he makes you love Mahler, and makes you want to hear more, then that's all that matters. You may or may not change your mind later (regarding Rattle), but in the end, it's Mahler's music that's important.
    ''A symphony must be like the world'' - Mahler.

Kundera the joke. likes this.