Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 3 from "Charles Munch - The Complete RCA Album Collection" on Sony.

D'Indy - Symphony On A French Mountain Air performed by Robert Casadesus and the Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra Of New York
    Franck - Symphonic Variations performed by Robert Casadesus and the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by George Weldon

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

I guess there could be a village within the borough of Greenwich but that village may not be named Greenwich Village ...

The NYC Greenwich Village could originally be a village in the 1800's or perhaps even earlier when Pieter Stuyvesant was still the mayor or governor or whatever ...

4. coopmv

@crispi, Have a question for you as you may be the most experienced when it comes to ripping. Is there any reason why a CD made in 1984 take an extraordinarily long time to rip in the FLAC format? I just experienced one such CD, though the FLAC files all appear to be fine ...

5. coopmv

Gulda was a bit like Andre Previn and Keith Jarrett who dabble in the non-classical music arena ...

crispi likes this.
  6. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I don’t know, I can only speculate, but maybe it’s that thing called CD rot. I wish I understood the mechanisms of CD manufacture and CD error correction better, but basically something in that CD’s chemical composition might have changed with the passing of time causing the laser to not be able to focus properly and thus slowing down the process. Though eventually, it’s able to read it correctly, albeit at a slow speed (sometimes close to 1x). In my “youth” as a music enthusiast I ripped a lot of public library CDs, and I was often surprised at how CDs that looked absolutely awful (scratches, chipped off edges, or print or sticker residue showing through on the playside) would rip 100% with no problems.

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Recorded 7/8-9/57 at Tanglewood, Lenox, MA. Also issued as a 3-LP Living Stereo set in 1958. Rather a shock to my ears at first and not as refined as I expected.

9. coopmv

IIRC, the laser actually reads the label side of the CD so scratches on the shiny side should not matter that much unless it is really, really bad. That said, I have one CDR I had burned that initially sounded great in my car CDP but started to skip a few years later. My sense is the heat from the sun had done a number to the chemical makeup of the CDR to cause the skipping problem. Perhaps CDR is generally of lower quality than a conventional audio CD also does not help.

Well, my 2018 Honda CRV has no CDP and that is a bummer as I doubt I can get my 15-year old digital player I use when I walk/jog to work in my car. I have not tried to make that USB connection yet.

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Considerably more suave than the Munch performances. According to Discogs this & the companion volume were issued 4/66. This is a later pressing; I also have 60s pressings of both volumes. Producer: Otto Gerdes. Artistic supervision: Hans Weber. Engineer: Günter Hermanns.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. coopmv

Did Munch do a better job than Karajan with the Bach Brandenburgs? :D

12. coopmv

I think your reasoning is quite sound as I have heard of the term "CD rot". I have also heard of CD bronzing, which is a special type of CD rot.

Compact disc bronzing - Wikipedia

IIRC, here is my Karajan's Brandenburg Concertos box, which I have not listened to for some forty years. I also have the following 3 CD sets ...

LP

[​IMG]

CD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The spirit of a completist for a few lousy performances!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  13. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 5 from "Annie Fischer - The Complete London Studio Recordings" on Warner Classics.

Beethoven - Sonatas 21 'Waldstein', 30 & 32

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and J.A.W. like this.
  14. coopmv

Nice! I almost forgot I have this box as well ...

bluemooze likes this.
  15. coopmv

16. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

You could have memorized the music I suppose so that the notes you were playing would be tagged to a measure. But generally if you are playing a longer work you would need the score to know easily the measure number. But musicians count all the time within a measure. The listener can keep track of measures if there is some stable tempo and consistent measure length. Indian classical listeners will sometimes mark out the beats of each measure but they know beforehand the measure length.

17. bluemooze

Thanks. :)

18. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

You can't compare CDs and CD-Rs except in size and purpose, but the way they are manufactured is very different. CD-Rs are chemically much more unstable due to the burning process during which burn marks are made into a dye label; regular CDs are physically pressed, actually stamped, kind of like vinyl. The life expectancy of pressed CDs has not been reached yet, as the earliest CDs from late 1982 still play today, while the CD-R's dye will degrade over a short time. Stuff like heat from the sun will only accelerate that. CD-Rs will reportedly last about 10 years even if stored perfectly, although I have some that are close to 15 years old and still play fine.

Yes, the data layer on a conventional CD is located closer to the label side. That was done so that surface scratches on the play side will be out of focus to the laser, thus making it easier to read past them.

Runicen likes this.
  19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Picture of Manhattan Centre?

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Issued 1954. Recorded 4/9 (No. 2), 4/10-11 (No. 14) & 4/13 (No.26), 1933, Abbey Road Studios, London. First issued on HMV 78s.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's a great image, I've never seen an Artur Schnabel LP from that era. How is the sound? I'm told the Schnabel Beethoven LPs sounded quite a bit better than the over-processed EMI CD reissues, which sound indeed dead as a dodo due to heavy noise reduction etc.

22. Joseph Marshall

Joseph Marshall Interstellar Burst...

Anyone else imagine beautiful paintings of landscapes whilst listening to Debussy?

AmosM likes this.
  23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Decca Analogue Years box. Includes the Piano Concerto in A minor played by Clifford Curzon.

[​IMG]

24. bluemooze

Somewhat ashamed to say I don't know that place. :hide:

yasujiro likes this.
  25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I put it on & the sound jumped out at me. Better than I expected. I wonder if the transfers were made to tape by EMI & the tape supplied to RCA.

J.A.W. likes this.