Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

While Andre Previn dabbled in jazz music, Keith Jarrett actually dabbled in classical music as he made a few recordings with Michaela Petri, the famed Danish flutist.

2. coopmv

I like these very succinct descriptions of how CD works ...

The laser (red) flashes up onto the shiny (under) side of the CD, bouncing off the pattern of pits (bumps) and lands (flat areas) on the disc.Jun 1, 2018

The polycarbonate substrate makes up most of the disc, including the area that is read by the laser (opposite the label side on CDs). It is present on both sides of a DVD, even a “single-sided” disc with a label on one side.

3. coopmv

You are not alone. I have heard of it but that is about it ...

bluemooze likes this.
  4. coopmv

Just returned from my 1 hour 50 min, 7 mile walk and listened to the following CD's ...

CD6 from the Mariss Jansons box from my Rachmaninoff collection

[​IMG]

From my Rimsky-Korsakov collection

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Looking for some advice or other input here.

Has anybody heard the relatively new SACD put out by Praga of two versions of Bruckner's 8th by Furtwängler, 1944 Vienna and 1949 Berlin? If not, based any experience with Praga, what kind of job you'd think they'd do with it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KXP5D...olid=113Y1PQ9GK37F&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I know these performances quite well, especially 1944. What I'm wondering about is the sound. I know it's a long shot, but has anybody sprung for this?

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'd like to know as well. I'm still looking for a decent sounding CD or hybrid SACD with the 1944 Furtwängler Bruckner 8; most versions on CD seem to be over-processed.

crispi likes this.
  7. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

My 2nd favorite rendition after Wendy Carlos'. I have an original DGG box set of the 60s recordings and a
    CD backup.

Runicen likes this.
  8. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Maybe I will take the plunge and report back.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Please do :)

10. coopmv

At 49 cents, you got a real bargain there. All my Schnabel's recordings are on Naxos Historical and they are not too over-processed ...

11. coopmv

Looks like Karajan recorded the Brandenburg Concertos three times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recorded live August 1968 in Salzburg ...

[​IMG]

My Wendy Carlos CD recording is on Telarc and was not the first recording ...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    MrSka57 and bluemooze like this.
  12. coopmv

Now playing CD6 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not familiar with these works but the focus obviously is on Martha. :righton:

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Loved what I saw of him in the documentary "So What", what an interesting guy.

crispi likes this.
  15. coopmv

Now playing CD7 from the following box for a first listen. So I now have at least one Olivier Messiaen recording, completely unintended ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wow, it's nice to hear contemporary music that is listenable without the composer resorting to new age garbage. Lindberg's music is still complex, but it's more melodic and a little less abrasive than in the 80s or so. Superb recording...the bass drums in the Concerto will give one's woofers/subwoofer something to think about! (It's an SACD...the image somehow omits the logo.)

[​IMG]

bluemooze and scompton like this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to CD 2 from "Ockeghem - Missa Cuiusvis Toni" performed by Ensemble Musica Nova led by Lucien Kandel on Aeon.

[​IMG]

SteelyTom likes this.
  18. coopmv

This was the first time but also the last time I would listen to this CD. "Modern" classical music does not work for me!

bigstar87 likes this.
  19. coopmv

I have this CD in my Ockeghem collection as well ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  20. coopmv

Now playing CD8 - Works by Franck, Rimsky-Korsakov and Scriabin for a first listen. I did not know RK actually had composed piano work ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  21. bluemooze

First listen to CD 10 from "Baroque Masterpieces" on Sony.

Bach - Suite No. 1 BWV 996 / Suite No. 2 BWV 997 / Trio Sonata No. 1 BWV 525 / Trio Sonata No. 5 BWV 529 - performed by Julian Bream (guitar & lute) and George Malcom (harpsichord.)

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

I stopped at around CD30 probably 2 or 3 years ago. Too many CD's to listen to and the less interesting ones will have to wait ... :sigh::(

bluemooze likes this.
  23. coopmv

The more I listen to these multi-composer big boxes, the more I feel streaming is the future as there is no way in hell I would know in a week that there is a Rimsky-Korsakov Piano Concerto in the Badura Skoda box or that it even exists. But having experienced a few hard drive failures, I am just not keen on spending big $$ on a streamer with a 4 TB HD lest the latter conks out and only the company that made the streamer can replace the HD ... :sigh:

24. bluemooze

I have both of my 4 TB HDs backed up on two other 4 TB HDs (none offsite though.) :)

bigstar87 likes this.
  25. coopmv

But you are probably streaming from your computer, which does not have the advanced search functionality, replete with all the info on the recordings that will appear on your computer screen while the music is playing. While I believe there may be apps out there that may allow you to build your own streamer that is competitive with those commercial ones, that day may not have arrived yet. I like the concept of using my own computer for streaming to cut out my dependency on some vendors ...

bluemooze likes this.