Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Mahler: Symphony 9.
    Bruno Walter, Columbia Sym. CBS 6 eye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

All of their albums are great.

royzak2000 likes this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Amazing - a lot you have such great music collections that you don't need any of these box sets, but I'm hearing 99% of this stuff for the first time. :edthumbs:

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It was conducted by the first performer and is the second stereo recording ever. And it is still the very best interpretation.

Dan C, Mr Bass and Byrdsmaniac like this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I thought you have many recordings by Hogwood and other L'Oiseau-Lyre recoridngs? :confused:

I am also not a believer of big boxes.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

And yet I did buy quite a few of those big boxes (performers and conductors only), which leaves me with a lot of duplicate CDs that no one wants to take off my hands… :)

bluemooze likes this.
  7. coopmv

The Szell big box will not lead to many duplicates for me since I only have a few of his Philips recordings and probably one Columbia recording on LP ...

I actually have his small Beethoven Symphonies box.

I rarely bought Columbia or RCA LP's back in the day.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    bigstar87 and bluemooze like this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes I do, but I mean recordings from the 50s and 60s - all the old musicians that so many here are fans of. :)

Edit: I started really listening to classical music in the mid-80s so everything before that I'm catching up on.

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

A lot of the recordings are from the 1950s; some sound better than others (CD sound-I don't have any RCA SACDs).

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

So you're an expert on this modern, avant-garde movement in classical ;)

bluemooze likes this.
  11. coopmv

I think I have made up for the deficiency in earlier artists by adding some 50 Naxos Historical titles to my collection. I just refuse to deal with any additional LP's, a format I am no longer willing to spend money on.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  12. coopmv

But could Karajan really be considered part of the avant-garde and I do have many of his recordings?

13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I opted for the DSD download rather than the LPs, but their image shows the tracks. Anyway, this is beautifully played and recorded. In fact, it's one of the most realistic and transparent recordings I've heard. (Since they used Sennheiser HD800s headphones during the recordings, I used the same for listening!) It's live, but there is very little noise except for applause between works. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I was just joking on some word play, ie he was catching up on classical music composed before the 80s. Classical composed in the last few decades falls into that avant-garde realm (though sort of a meaningless description as all classical would have been avant-garde at one point in history) I mentioned.

15. coopmv

I don't own or listen to "modern" classical music ...

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Issued 1976. The back cover has a Demonstration-Not For Sale stamp. Recorded 4/25/72 & 2/8/73 (Meistersinger) and 5/17/73 (Tannhäuser). Producer: Max Wilcox. Engineer: Paul Goodman.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. coopmv

Is it a single LP? I have the following LP twofer and they may share some common tracks ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

A lot of the newer classical music, at least that which gets programmed & recorded by full-size orchestras, is actually somewhat conservative. Composers may use some "avant-garde" techniques mixed with more traditional sounds, but they are again actively seeking an audience & have abandoned the uncompromising avant-garde stance.

bluemooze and Thomas R like this.
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

No, yours is from Ormandy's Columbia era, which came in between his 1st & 2nd RCA eras.

20. coopmv

I was blind as a bat and did not even notice the difference between RCA and Columbia, though they are both owned by Sony now ... :hide:

21. coopmv

Now playing CD21 - Piano Sonatas Nos Nos 15 - 17 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bigstar87, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think it depends on the genre as to which period of recordings are valued. For standard orchestral and opera the pre 1980 recordings are highly valued. The repertoire was narrower and musicians grew up with these works and played them often. The singers also were doing fewer roles but studying them more intensely. But for Baroque or Early music or some avant garde music the situation is more complex or the post 1985 recordings are more valued.

The important variable is stylistic understanding combined with excellent performances. I find it hard to listen to many Baroque or Early Music recordings from the 50s and 60s even though the musicians are good. It was only in the 70s that more period sensitive performances gained traction and became the norm. Conversely more recent Mozart to Stravinsky opera or orchestral performances are played well technically but lack stylistic nuance to my ears.

bluemooze and crispi like this.
  23. coopmv

Now playing CD22 - Piano Sonatas Nos Nos 18 - 20 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bigstar87, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Recorded 3/1-4/8, 1968, Sofiensaal. Producer: Erik Smith. Engineer: James Lock. The Decca discography says this was issued 6/72, but the label gives the sound copyright year as 1971.

bluemooze, ibanez_ax and Eigenvector like this.
  25. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

From the Szell Complete Columbia:
    [​IMG]