Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs:

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

No one else plays the Barber Sonata with the volcanic intensity of Horowitz.

[​IMG]

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rec. 2/10-15/58, Kingsway Hall. Producer: John Culshaw. Engineers: Alan Reeve & Gordon Parry. First issued in the U.S. on CS 6007, 7/59. STS 15054 was listed as a new LP in the Billboard of 5/3/69.

Mik, bluemooze, Eigenvector and 4 others like this.
  4. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

From the RCA Living Stereo Vol.2: [​IMG]
    Nice hearing Cliburn in a solo setting, as all the other recordings I have by him are concertos in the Vol.1 box set

Mik, alankin1, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Some quartet music on the turntable for late night listening: Mozart's Six Quartets Dedicated to Haydn.
    This is a 3-LP box set that I bought in 1974 when I subscribed to the offerings of the "Carnegie Hall Selection Committee." Having played these quartets frequently when I first got the set, it brings back some pleasant memories to play them now.

The Quartetto Italiano is in their usual superb form and, as usual, Philips' recording is first rate. This particular edition was made in Italy--perhaps a cost saving for a "subscription" edition. It's possible that copies made in Holland have quieter vinyl, but this sounds fine.

[​IMG]

Mik, bigstar87, Bachtoven and 6 others like this.
  6. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Fish and chip shop. What England is famous for:D

7. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

They had a great team in the 14th Century. :) Montana was still QB, I think.

David Ellis, bluemooze and ibanez_ax like this.
  8. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

It's just not the same in a pub. Next time you visit, you must try a real chippy (it's take-away). Absolute gastronomic heaven :)

As an ex-pat, it is one of only two things I miss about 'Blighty' ! The other is Northern English beer :) :) The football (OUR type of football :) ) can be got easily on cable TV thank goodness :)

Glad I'm allowed to digress a little on this thread. ;-) Back to music.........

David Ellis, bluemooze and Siegmund like this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

English beer is horrible. Every bit as horrible as American beer, just a different kind of horrible.

Continental beers rule! :)

10. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

One needs to be born into it, I think, Siegmund. :)
    A bit like those darned Frenchies eating snails...... :)

David Ellis likes this.
  11. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

First listen to Das Rheingold in this edition
    [​IMG]
    Good to be able to hear it without any breaks.

crispi, ubertrout and bluemooze like this.
  12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Decca Sound The Analogue Years box. Includes Symphony #4.

[​IMG]

Mik, bigstar87, tomymontana and 6 others like this.
  13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

A couple of years ago, we decided to take the day time flight to Europe instead of the overnight flight. It really cuts down on the jet lag. This means we fly to London. I don't think I've ever seen a fish and chip shop in London.

I've also yet to find good beer in London. Most of it is similar to crappy American beer. I've had good English beer here so I know it exists. The couple of breweries that control most of the pubs in Central London don't make any.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  14. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Lived in Europe for many years -but have never been to the UK. It is certainly on our bucket-list. I don't drink beer (my taste buds don't understand bitter flavour, same reason I can't drink coffee without sugar and cream) but my husband does. He uses a UK ale to make his amazing homemade beef stew. This is the one he uses and if it's not available then it is German beer like Paulaner or Warsteiner. Gives the dish an outstanding flavour, for me even nicer than the Bourguignon version that calls for wine.
    This is the one he uses, does anyone here know it?
    [​IMG]

On the TT this morning, another spectacular, warm day - not a cloud in the sky.

This is an album I found still in shrink wrap ( I always remove it) and immaculate vinyl condition - hadn't heard this version before. Does anyone else in the thread own it? If yes how do you like it?

[​IMG]

Mik, Wes H, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  15. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

I am going to be on a hunt for this!

Wes H likes this.
  16. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

Thanks for asking about Newcastle Brown Ale! I don't often drink beer, but when I do, this is my first choice. When Wugged mentioned "Northern English beer" I wondered whether Newcastle Brown Ale qualified or if it's considered a mass-produced knock-off for exporting to the colonies.

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

That is what they used for the Cardassian "Obsidian Dark" in Quark's Bar in the old Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas.

18. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I've been traveling to the London area for work for the past 20 years. I stay in Kent. My go-to Fish and Chip shop is Mumford's in Grays Thurrock (Essex) and for beer it's Shepherd Neame Spitfire Kentish Ale! :D

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

A friend of a friend brought a couple of these back from England a few years ago. I liked it.

[​IMG]

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to "Jacobus Gallus - Opus Musicum / Missa super 'Sancta Maria'" performed by the Huelgas Ensemble led by Paul Van Nevel on Vivarte.

[​IMG]

21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    From Jamaica.

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  22. coopmv

I heard the Fish and Chips are no longer wrapped in old newspaper! :wave:

23. coopmv

Not a beer drinker but I heard Heineken and Carlsberg are a bit better. American beer is nothing to write home about ...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Newcastle Brown is a step up from typical mass produced beer. Fine for cooking but because I have one or two beers a month I stick to much higher quality beer to drink. It gets its color from caramel coloring instead of roasted malt which is used in better beers.

bluemooze and David*M like this.
  25. coopmv

:edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs: