Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I've never been a big fan. I think her tone is rather thin, and she was extremely condescending to fans as well as students in her masterclass.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

An excellent twofer IMO, though I do not recall if the performance was HIP without looking it up on my CD shelf ...

3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Some of the Renaissance vocal music is very complex. My guess is the truly complex polyphony was restricted to the royal courts though.

I was thinking of the also ran baroque artists. A castle we toured in Slovenia was basically a museum now. The largest part of the collection was baroque era painting by the staff painter. They were not very good and it was room after room of them. I doubt if any museum other than the castle where he painted them would ever display them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if castles like this also had staff composers who were of the same quality of this painter. This castle had been in the same family from the 1500s until WWII. That's why the mediocre paintings survived. I imagine that if they had a staff composer back then, the scores would have survived as well. I can't imagine many composers could have survived back then without a patron.

I bought the Teldec Complete Bach when it was reissued. I have no complaints about it.

4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Stereo box. Includes Piano Concerto in F, An American in Paris, Variations on "I Got Rhythm" and the Cuban Overture.

[​IMG]

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

HIP on this recording. :)

6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I haven't heard any early music that isn't very enjoyable, especially the vocal music. It may be that the mediocre stuff just didn't survive.

I've been pretty lucky with modern music but I haven't been very systematic about it. I've bought mainly recommended recordings or stuff that's on sale. A lot of the albums that I bought because they were on sale, I've been able to sample first so I haven't bought the clunkers. For the most part, I've really liked all of the 20th century music I own or have seen live.

Wes H likes this.
  7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Probably someone dumping it because they got the Mozart 225 box. I have a couple of the old Philips Mozart boxes that I believe are duplicated int he 225 box.

Mowgli likes this.
  8. coopmv

TELDEC is quite different since it was an independent record company before it was taken over by Warner. Both Harnoncourt and Leonhardt were on TELDEC. OTOH, BC just repackages music it has licensed from other record companies.

McLover likes this.
  9. coopmv

So Mullova just ditched her modern violin for a baroque violin. She is an outstanding violinist ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

They record some of their own too. The Klara Wurtz Mozart sonatas are one example. I have a lot of Jerone van Veen albums that I love.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. coopmv

I have seen the Klara Wurtz Mozart sonatas CD but did not know where the music was licensed from ...

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Teldec was founded in 1950 in (then West) Germany, as a cooperation between Telefunken and (European) Decca, hence the name. The cooperation ended in 1983 and in 1987 Teldec was acquired by Warner.

McLover and Wes H like this.
  13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

They recorded it. She's married to the managing director of the company. Most of her recordings are recorded for BC.

14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

IMHO I wouldn't put the polyphony from chants/vocal music in the same league as what was coming out of the baroque era complexity wise and this is a reflection of the huge breakthroughs they were making in numerous aspects like science, architecture and as well as a less firm grip from the church. For instance I think it would be easier to write an imitative polyphonic vocal piece than it would be to do one non-imitative with 4 harpsichords, just using this as a comparison for two somewhat structurally similar types of music. Note that I don't think this complexity is always a good thing and like the previously discussed 4 harpsichord fugue with strong counterpoint is something that wouldn't make my listening choice too often!

I wouldn't doubt if numerous lesser composers were hired at these establishments, the major composers were sought out and "head hunted" by the big royal families and in turn this probably helped their longevity and creative process by having access to more resources.

crispi likes this.
  15. coopmv

You just reminded me of the following recording, Takako Nishizaki was also married to the founder of Naxos at the time when the following recording was made ...

[​IMG]

It was all family business! :D:agree:

It is actually pretty nice violin music

Here is another version of the similar work

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. coopmv

With the following recording I am still not very familiar with, her only recording in my collection, I really cannot say how much I like her ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to "Io Canterei d'amor - Chansons e Madrigali da sonare" performed by Labyrinto directed by Paolo Pandolfo on Harmonia Mundi France.

[​IMG]

18. coopmv

BTW, Paolo Pandolfo is supposed to be an excellent cellist and I have the following twofer by him ...

[​IMG]

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I don't like that album. It was the first version of the Etudes I heard and it was a long time before I bought another. I like the works, just not played by her.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Beethoven Symphony NR .7 - Berlin Philharmoniker/Herbert von Karajan (DG) tulip label.

bluemooze, Eigenvector and Wes H like this.
  21. coopmv

I think the recording was recommended by some participants of the CMC thread since I knew nothing about her ... :(

22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Putting on the TT this recital by Alicia De Larrocha of music by Albéniz, Bach, Mendelssohn, and De Falla. This is a Decca LP, "Made in Holland," 1976.

[​IMG]

I bought this somewhere (location now forgotten) some years ago and have not played it much, so I'm looking forward to going through it this evening.
    The jacket notes are in Dutch only, including an interesting sticker on the back (photo below) presumably identifying the shop where the original owner purchased it. A quick Google of the name (C. C. Bender) seems to indicate that this is a shop selling pianos & organs with locations in Arnhem and Amsterdam. I suppose they carry (or carried) records, too. Just curious --Anyone here in the Netherlands familiar with this place?

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

Do you have a good number of Alicia De Larrocha's recordings? Mine all come in the following Colin Davis RCA Legacy box ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have a few, but all on records. Most of them are of Spanish composers or Mozart.

25. coopmv

I found her Mozart Piano Concertos with the English Chamber Orchestra and Colin Davis quite good ...

bluemooze and Wes H like this.