Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to "Aquitania - Christmas Music from Aquitanian Monasteries (12th century)" performed by Sequentia on DHM.

This CD is not included in any of the three current Sequentia box sets.

[​IMG]

scompton and royzak2000 like this.
  2. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Hi not sure why the pic didn't post....my tablet app for Facebook is not user friendly. We're in Hong Kong since Sunday. .tomorrow night (Friday) off to Bangkok for 4 nights. .then 11 nights in Krabi. :wave:

Eigenvector, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Presence box.

[​IMG]

bigstar87, Wes H, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  4. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Had this for a couple of weeks think I have enjoyed parts of it every day.
    [​IMG]

bigstar87, Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  5. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 2 from "Lassus - Penitential Psalms" performed by The Hilliard Ensemble and the Kees Boeke Consort on Veritas.

[​IMG]

Wes H and royzak2000 like this.
  6. bluemooze

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. :wave:

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Are you counting both Von Bingen boxes? I have the first one and the DHM box but I can’t find a third

8. bluemooze

Yes I am. The third box is Sequentia but not Von Bingen. I certainly could have written my post in a less confusing way. :)

[​IMG]

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No such thing here :)

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Same to all of you in the U.S. I'm doing mine on Saturday at my friend's house. His sister had to work through yesterday, so she is flying in from Pennsylvania tomorrow.
    That's fine with me. I can sit on my butt this afternoon and watch football. :agree:

Wes H, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  11. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Thanksgiving ?? Is this the day when you thank your wife for understanding that you really do need a sixth set of Beethoven Piano Sonatas ? :goodie:

bigstar87, Bachtoven, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  12. bluemooze

Now on the turntable "Byrd - The Great Service" performed by The Tallis Scholars on Gimell.

[​IMG]

13. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Happy Thanksgiving from the UK!

Our family only gets together at Christmas; it's great you get to do it at Thanksgiving as well ... :)

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Philips Classics-The Stereo Years box. The Suites are not on the CD.

[​IMG]

I also have Dorati's Nutcracker and Serenade for strings on the first Living Presence box which I'll listen to as we get closer to Christmas.

[​IMG]

15. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Lovely!

I'm looking for ideas for our next European city break - is Potsdam a place which is worth spending a few days enjoying?

16. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Yes tube rolling can be a pain, but when you get it right it's like having a really good component upgrade.

You wouldn't believe how my conrad-johnson phono stage has been transformed - when I first got it with stock tubes it had that rose-tinted glow of old tube amps. Sounded great with some classical music but not dynamic enough for anything else and I found it very frustrating. Now it is much more neutral sounding, massively more dynamic and handles anything I care to throw at it ... It really reveals the source material accurately I feel - now I can hear the difference between EMI / DG / Decca house sounds, where as previously they all tended to sound warm and pretty much the same ...

Of course if you are happy with what you have, no need to change it! :righton:

Wes H likes this.
  17. bluemooze

May I ask, please, what you rolled into it?

My PV12 has four tubes in the phono stage:
    [​IMG]
    V1 & V2: 12AX7 | V3: 5751 | V4: 12AU7 - Is this similar to yours?

V5 & V6 are in the preamp circuit, not the phono part. :)

18. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Yes my tubes are exactly the same compliment as yours.

I have early 60’s Tungsram in 12AX7, military spec.
    I have a 70’s Tungsram 12AU7. Cheap but very good.
    My 5751 is a 50’s GE WA Black Plate.

I would start with two 12AX7 and see if you like what it’s doing.

Tubemonger sell some *very* high quality Tungsram and I have two similar to these -

Brand New, MINT NOS, Rare FEB-1962 Production Tungsram ECC83 12AX7 Welded Plate Tubes with non-corrosive alloy pins. Tungsram made some of the finer tubes in Eastern Europe due to its exposure to subsidiaries in Gt. Britain and Austria.

They do some slightly cheaper ones as well but those would be my choice if if I was doing it again.
    If you buy two they give you a matched pair.

Of course there are no guarantees as I don't know whether your circuit is the same as mine but I hope yours would respond in a similar way.. :)

19. bluemooze

Thank you so much. :targettiphat:

julesd68 likes this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Happy Thanksgiving to Americans. I was very sorry to hear that Scriabin interpreter John Bell Young died in March or April this year.

I received my Warner Complete Perlman, one of the more interesting mega box packages I've seen :laugh: The CDs are arranged in a stepped manner and there is a wedge shaped piece of foam to keep them from moving around in the rectangular shaped box during shipping. It also has the best presentation for individual discs; the full booklet (that is the same as some of my individual CDs), and a custom inner sleeve for the CD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wes H, bigstar87, Mowgli and 4 others like this.
  21. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

[​IMG]

TIDAL have just released huge swathes of this label's contemporary music catalogue for streaming purposes. This release from 2004 is a particular stand out so far.

Bubbamike, Mowgli and bluemooze like this.
  22. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Potsdam was an amazing place! San Souci is only one of many palaces there. I've never seen anything like it. Unfortunately, my wife and I had no idea just how big it was and how much there was to see there and we only allotted one day there. For that trip, we stayed in Berlin and took the train to Potsdam. It's definitely worth more than one day if you really like to explore!

HenryFly, julesd68 and bluemooze like this.
  23. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I've had a look at the tourist info website and all I can say is that I'm going!!

Many thanks for the tip. :righton:

Eigenvector likes this.
  24. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Excellent! You'll love it!

25. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Hire a bike and you'll get a lot more out of the days you spend there. If you feel like saving a bit of money on accomodation, try the youth hostel.

julesd68 and Eigenvector like this.