Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Are you still having this April heatwave?

It may be time to turn on the AC ... :hide:

2. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

We have no A/C here just ice creams...

Bubbamike, crispi and julesd68 like this.
  3. coopmv

Now playing CD63 - Cantata No. 205 and BWV 524 - Was sind das fur grobe Schlosser Quodibet (whatever it is and my keyboard cannot handle those special characters either) from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Baroque like this.
  4. coopmv

That will lower the temperature for a little while ...

5. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Johannes Brahms: Violin Sonata No. 1 in G major, Op. 78
    Ilia Korol, violin (von Stietencron, 1999)
    Natalia Grigorieva, fortepiano (Streicher, 1870)

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident

I don't know how many times I've told myself "No more Brandenburg Concertos!" but then I add another. And another. I have Pinnock's other revered sets and this seems like overkill at this point... but quite enjoyable overkill. A terrific set.

[​IMG]

crispi, Mowgli, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  7. ShallowMemory

This will definitely cool things down...
    [​IMG]
    Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony London Philharmonic Orchestra cond. Sir Adrian Boult 1968 CD1 from the 2011 symphonies box
    Image is the original British HMV lp SLS 780 which lost its buzzing second work for this cd issue but I have Handley's recording on EMI Eminence for that.
    Lovely playing from the L.P.O and singing from its own chorus with plenty of depth in the early (1986) digital transfer.

bluemooze, Thomas R and Wes H like this.
  8. ShallowMemory

Would 100 lines of "I must not buy another set of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos ever again" be in order? ;)

Baroque likes this.
  9. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Hi everyone! On the TT....

[​IMG]

Mowgli, bluemooze, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  10. coopmv

BTW, is the painting on the LP jacket about the Battle of Trafalgar, just out of curiosity?

11. coopmv

Now playing CD1 -

Elgar - Cello Concerto
    Delius - Cello Concerto
    Saint-Saens - Cello Concerto No. 1

for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

You are in good company here. I have some 30 versions of the Brandenburg Concertos based on my conservative estimate ... ;)

julesd68 and Baroque like this.
  13. ShallowMemory

The painting is by Charles Brooking by permission of the National Maritime Museum but I'm not sure if is as I can't see a credit with its title. A fuller version is on the Angel and later EMI Greensleeves lps

14. coopmv

As a kid over half a century ago, I used to love films on sea battles ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, julesd68 and ShallowMemory like this.
  15. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

:love: So, so talented. I love her interpretations...so technically proficient without loosing a very passionate and personal approach. I think Du Pre was an 'old soul'. She had the maturity and musical depth of a middle aged virtuoso when she was a very young woman. As if she needed to live life and accomplish things very quickly....and we all know why. Such a cruel disease that took her....we are lucky to have all the recordings and videos to remember her genius.

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  16. coopmv

Sol Gabetta could be the new Jacqueline Du Pre. I just ordered her second CD. Just like her compatriot Martha Argerich, she is very talented ...

[​IMG]

Mowgli, bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  17. ShallowMemory

Saved for the District, Wedgwood's First Day vase...
    First Day's Vase
    Our museum has a world class collection of pottery and whilst it is being repaired, a Spitfire airplane cos the designer lived nearby.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. coopmv

Very nice! Looks a bit like the Greek vase that was busted I saw in some History of Arts book years ago ...

19. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my miscellaneous collection for a second listen ... :love:

[​IMG]

Thomas R and bluemooze like this.
  20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Another great mid-'60s Nonesuch release of a very fine European recording. One small detail: This is the mono edition cover. Is that the one you own?

21. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

How I wish I could listen to this masterpiece and think that the subject was a thing of the past. Alas no...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have the original Angel 2-LP box set of this (below) which shows the same painting, but larger and "flipped" in comparison to the British HMV LP you posted. (Great performance and recording, btw.)

[​IMG]
    In small type, the Charles Brooking painting is only identified as "English Sips in a Light Breeze."

I have an interest in tall ships of this period and I can assure you that this painting is not of the Battle of Trafalgar. For one thing, that large British ship on the left would likely be the flagship, but with only two gun decks it is definitely not the HMS Victory--although the basic design is similar. Lord Nelson's ship was far more heavily armed with three full gun decks (not including the Quarterdeck).

Also, artist Charles Brooking died in 1759... a good 46 years before the Battle of Trafalgar (1805). ;)

Eigenvector likes this.
  23. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - Mozart Piano Concertos Nos 21 & 26 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Baroque and bluemooze like this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Since I had the Vaughan Williams' "A Sea Symphony" LP box out, I thought I'd share a couple of photos from the included booklet.

This is the cover shot, showing Sir Adrian boult with R. Vaughan Williams -- taken in August 1947:

[​IMG]

Another shot: This is from the recording session in Kingsway Hall, London.

[​IMG]

25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That album has been a long-time favorite of mine. :righton:

I believe it was first released in 1959. The copy I bought in 1972 (below) came with the original jacket art, although record inside is a repressing.

[​IMG]

crispi, Mowgli, bluemooze and 4 others like this.