Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

For father's day, my son got me two of those multi-disc sets of Wes Montgomery (1958-1960, 1960-1962)...no, I'm sure they're not a high-end audiophile product, but they are great fun to listen to...

Also found a copy of Harry Connick, Jr's "Eleven" in a thrift yesterday...heartfelt dixieland

bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This one again. These concerts feature some wonderfully recorded piano. And I really enjoy the music.

[​IMG]
    Keith Jarrett "A Multitude of Angels" Disc 2, Ferrara concert

It sounds fantastic today.

xybert, bluemooze and Six String like this.
  3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

So yer saying Miles pieced together the "Calypso Frelimo" track personally and not Teo? As in sitting in the control room or wherever editing together the various takes himself? All respect but given the similar types of edits Teo did on Bitches Brew etc, I find it hard to believe that it wasn't Teo. Not that it really matters...whoever it was, they're sloppy edits.

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm sure Teo did the editing, although there were certainly times, like in making In a Silent Way, when Miles sat there in the editing room; and Miles most definitely not only approved everything but gave Teo carte blanche to make certain kinds of edits especially in those days where there was more of a kind of cut together, rock record-making aesthetic they were exploring. But it was a kind of collaboration and the point aesthetically of what they were doing at the time wasn't necessarily to make smooth, unnoticed edits all the time.

Like, here's Teo on In a Silent Way:

You know, even on Bitches Brew and all that stuff, that was all mechanically done in the editing room. All subject to Miles' approval. He came to the session, I mean the editing room, about six times in his lifetime while I was with him at CBS. And the one time that he did come when we were doing In a Silent Way, and everybody says that's a classic record. Sure it is a classic record. I said, "Look at it, I've mixed everything now on this particular record, I think you'd better get your ass down here because," I said, "I'm really bewildered, because I've got 30, 35 reels of quarter-in masters, and I said, I gotta cut it down to two, an A side and a B side." And I said, "If you don't come, I'm gonna make the cuts anyway." He said, "Aw, ****, I'll be right down." So he came down, and he stayed with me most of the day, and what happened was that he, we, cut out everything down to two reels of tape with eight and a half minutes on each side, and then he started to leave. I said, "Where the hell you going?" He said, "That's my record." I said, "Wait a minute, you can't do this. They're going to skin you alive, they'll do me in." They wanted to do me in anyway, because we were kind of rebels at the time.

And I said... "give me a couple days and I'll see what I can figure out," because we've got these two reels with one eight and a half, nine minutes on one side, and something on the other side. So what I did, I copied little excerpts of the very, if you listen to it very carefully, you'll hear a lot of repeats, but you don't know that they're repeats, because it sounds like a continuous song, and a continuous performance. I bridged... I made 18 minutes... I mean the eight and a half minutes or nine minutes come up to eighteen and a half, nineteen or twenty minutes on that side. I said, "I'm home free." And I did the same thing on Side B. And then, the record became a classic.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  5. Lonson

Bob Dylan "Together Through Life" Blu-Spec CD2

This album was a real sleeper for me, I like it more and more as time goes by. It says a lot to someone of a "certain age." And it sounds like Texas to me. .. there's a bit of nostalgia involved.

[​IMG]

xybert, bluemooze and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Paul Desmond (Artist House)
    W/ Ed Bickert!

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

This was the second album released from the RFH concert - the original also has "Angel" and "Stone Free."

Gil Evans - Gil Evans Live At The Royal Festival Hall London 1978

bluemooze likes this.
  8. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Was playing the other night on Dolphy's date of birth.

Eric Dolphy - Far Cry

[​IMG]

Love the first side and was there ever a cooler rhythm section than Haynes, Carter and Byard?

xybert, AaronW, jay.dee and 8 others like this.
  9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I love that piece of music, edits and all. In fact the edits feel integral to me, an aspect of the final composition.

L.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This morning, a garage sale turned up this in excellent condition for 50 cents.

I am a Bill Evans devotee, so this is nice

[​IMG]

xybert, peter1, ChazFromCali and 10 others like this.
  11. Lonson

Ben Monder "Oceana"
    [​IMG]

12. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

This:
    [​IMG]
    From this:
    [​IMG]

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Another garage sale item today. Not profound, but fun

[​IMG]

it goes on the shelf with these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "friend" was his wife, Dinah Washington

14. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Played tonight:
    Shelly Manne Mannekind 1972, MFCD 853.
    [​IMG]

Mainstream records has several good albums, very good artists, great compilations... But a "B sound" when compared to other labels. (Guess @Lonson said something similar).

I don't know why mobile fidelity chose to work on this one, but I'm glad they did. Still, if the original sound was not recorded in the best way...

Nevertheless I'm a fan of this one. And the mofi CD sounds pretty good. But I wonder how the recent japanese reissue sounds. @Bobby Boogaloo do you have it?
    [​IMG]

A strange/cool album
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and bluemooze like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This was another 50 cent item, a 10 inch LP in a classical style box. The box was made in UK, but inside was the record in a French sleeve.

Sidney Bechet's score for a ballet. If he had lived longer, maybe there would have been some other Ellingtonian work from Bechet.

[​IMG]

You can see some of the ballet, for which Bechet composed and performed, here

Here is a documentary about the ballet - worth watching.

La Nuit est une Sorcière: Ballet de Sidney Bechet

The French 10 inch sleeve

[​IMG]

yasujiro, peter1, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  16. Lonson

Donald Byrd "Byrd in Hand" Blue Note SHM-CD
    [​IMG]

AaronW, Six String, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ok, Helen Merrill, I sure will...

Dream of You (Fresh Sounds twofer, backed with Merrill at Midnight)

[​IMG]

Dream of You consists of tracks arranged by Gil Evans, a handful of them feature strings. The title track, “Where Flamingoes Fly”, and “I’m Fool to Want You” would make nice tracks to check out for a sample. Helen knows how to sing a tune.

18. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Time for a martini and some jazz. Like J.J. Johnson's Blue Trombone album, I also feel like this one gets a little overshadowed and forgotten by modern jazz aficionados because of what I like to call Columbia's "1959 Trifecta" of Kind of Blue, Time Out, and Mingus Ah Um. For me, this album and Sonny Rollins' Way Out West together form the perfect case for jazz not needing a piano to be amazing.

The Gerry Mulligan Quartet - What Is There to Say?
    Original 1959 six-eye stereo pressing on Columbia Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

juanmanuel, Robitjazz, eeglug and 6 others like this.
  19. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Part two of "Jazz Doesn't Need a Piano to Be Amazing."

Sonny Rollins - Way Out West
    Original 1957 US pressing on Contemporary Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

juanmanuel, xybert, Robitjazz and 8 others like this.
  20. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Nice. I'd love to hear this. Reminds me - I gotta finish his autobiography, Treat It Gentle, a book I started but put down after this looooong story about his Pop that went on for pages and pages. I do recommend it - but do be gentle and patient!
    :laugh:

[​IMG]

xybert, Tribute and bluemooze like this.
  21. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Up jamming with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Live in New Orleans. Nice DVD I just picked up.

[​IMG]
    Rather dsmal YT copy (audio is fine, though) They hot and nobody's dancing. Weird. Good time anyhow!

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Found a minty original of this a little while ago. It's from the late 60s but session is from earlier when Lee Morgan was still in the band. Wonder why it wasn't released contemporaneously? "United" is the best track!

lwh1, xybert, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  23. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

What About this one?

Jack Teagarden: The Roulette Sessions 1

[​IMG]

juanmanuel, bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  24. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Reading:
    This thread, 1000 pages !!!!!

Playing:
    This album, 50 years (June 68)
    [​IMG]

2 Jazz history facts

xybert, bluemooze, MagicAlex and 7 others like this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Nyet comrade. It's on my list to check out though.

Yesternow likes this.