Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Yes I heard them live as well (1999?) they were so good, unlike anything else. Everybody was together, with little soloing. Really hope people search out this music, it never lets you down

Ray Cole likes this.
  2. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

Disc 4 of Coleman Hawkins The Bebop Years (Proper, 2006) is hitting the spot.

[​IMG]
    nice booklet with this set too.

3. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Yeah, that's a funny one. Mine is mono A-32 Van Gelder and has ABC-Paramount labels. The thing is, the official switch happened at A-33. With Ballads being pressed so close to the switch over, there simply has to be label overlap depending on pressing plant, etc. The Am-Par labels and the early ABC-Paramount ones use the same stampers so in the end, the only real reason to search out an Am-Par label is because you're an obsessive collector who wants one for a conversation piece. haha That's not me at all. I own one copy of everything and if I upgrade something I already have, the old one either gets given away to a friend or used as trade bait the next time a local record shop has something I can't live without.

So yeah, if you're not a collector and just want a nice original/early pressing cut from early-generation tapes, the early Van Gelders with the ABC-Paramount labels are far cheaper and sound every bit as good since they're from the same stampers.

4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I see this happening more lately around here too at yard sales/estate sales/flea mkts./thrifts. I normally take the stand back attitude as you did but once in awhile I like to dive in on an elbow throwing free for all. Just for the exercise mind you :laugh:. At the local flea there's one guy that uses the elbow technique to cover multiple boxes. He kind of drapes himself over the boxes. I get up next to him real close and say...you done with this box cause I'd like to look thru it while you're on those other boxes. He'll grunt and move just enough so I can get a few fingers into the box but he keeps an eye on whatever I pull out to look at. I took my wife along one time and she got on the other side of him and we used the squeeze technique.:laugh:

Love that you got the good musically historical LP's by being patient and courteous.

jazz_case likes this.
  5. Is this the JVC CD you're referring to? I have that one. It's super clear, warm, inviting...it really breathes!

6. I just go for the CDs these days. I know; I'm a philistine. However, because I'm also I'm a collector of the best SQ that I can get, sometimes you have to shell out for the original LP, as me and my compadres have about $80k worth of gear to make needledrops sound like the real deal. (I know, I know, I don't want to get into all of that. Suffice to say, one would be hard pressed to distinguish the vinyl from the digital, give or take. I mean, at the end of the day, it's the mastering that one is after.)

JMAC and Mugrug12 like this.
  7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

You'll find the original eventually, don't give up! Just teasing you, but obviously you're a collector because you can find later pressings w the same stampers as well, but you are holding out for orange labels. So not really fair to say the OG is just for a conversation piece, simply cuz you don't want to pay big bucks for it! I personally have never seen the original in the wild....

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I may have told this story before, but some years ago I stopped at a garage sale, and asked the old guy if he had any records. He went in and came out carrying two boxes. I could see even at a distance that it was some very good stuff. Just then a local well known record dealer pulled up and even before I could browse, the dealer grabbed both entire boxes from in front of me and said to the guy "HOW MUCH!"

The old man said, "Ten dollars each."

The dealer slammed the boxes down on the ground, jumped in his car and left a patch of rubber as he took off.

Right after he left, the old man said to me, "For you, they are 10 cents each. I hate peckerheads like that!"

I bought maybe 50 records. Good stuff.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Bob Dylan "Blood on the Tracks" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

Getting ready for the Bootleg Series version coming out next month!

[​IMG]

10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Oh i quite like it as I said. Its just some put it next to god and i think it falls short of that

Mugrug12 likes this.
  11. Lonson

Been too long since I've spun this session, the recording that way back when got me nuts about Coltrane. . . .

Miles Davis "Round About Midnight" Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

[​IMG]

12. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]

now enjoying the track "Westchester Lady"

xybert and Ray Cole like this.
  13. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Oops I missed the part when you said it was very good in my rush to defend it ha! I agree and also agree The music can't quite live up to the level of the mythology.

Stu02 likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Sinatra rarely gets a mention on this thread.

I have been deeply absorbed in his singing for ages.

A few uncommon images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

When I'm at a loss as to what to play next, this one always saves me. Try to visit at least once a month.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, vanhooserd and xybert like this.
  16. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Such bad behavior; I can't stand these guys...

But you are right, a lot of them don't know much or have very sophisticated taste in music. I am usually not too bothered to compete with them these days. I am not looking for the more common popular stuff and I find that the stuff that I am actually interested in is usually ignored by these pr1cks.

17. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

Talking about estate sales etc., I went to one today that had a bunch of original releases, including: Ornette! (Atlantic 1378); Ornette’s The Shape of Jazz to Come (Atlantic 1317); Screaming the Blues - Oliver Nelson/Dolphy (Prestige/New Jazz 8243); Gene Ammons - Groove Blues (Prestige 7201 - with John Coltrane on alto!); Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus (Candid 8005); Charlie Rouse - Yeah! (Epic LA 16012); and a few others. Then, I went to a thrift shop and bought a couple of Japanese label Kitaro LPs and Duke Ellington - The 1932 Band in True Stereo. Then, since I was rolling, to my local record store (Up The Creek in Walnut Creek, CA) and bought Bunk Johnson - The Last Testament of a Great Jazzman. None of these records cost more than $2.
    Now, I have to find the time to listen to all these. There are many Great Misapprehensions in Life. One of my most recent GMLs was supposing that now that I am retired, I’ll have all the time in the world to listen to my records. Alas, babysitting the grandkids takes away some of the time and family in general cuts into a lot of my spare time. I really should know better by now, since my first GML should have taught me something. That happened when I was in my mid-teens and one of my friends’ older brother was getting married, and I remember saying to the other guys “Oh boy, when I get married I can have all the sex I want”.

18. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Long day. I drove 300 miles through some brutal Friday traffic to see Tigran Hamasyan’s solo performance at Fresno State tonight. I’m tired but really glad I made the trip. That man’s ability to play multiple simultaneous rhythms is second to none. He ended the show with an encore performance of “Ancient Observer” that included a staggeringly great vocal beatboxing demonstration that I feel privileged to have been present to witness. And I stuck around after the show long enough to have a short face to face interaction with Hamasyan while he signed my CD.

19. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Teddy Wilson And His All Stars 1945

[​IMG]

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Good grief that was quite a drive from your location. It would have been tough enough from my angle driving through the valley but the traffic might have been easier for me. BTW there is a real nice record shop in Fresno worth checking out if you ever have the time. I'll have to google it to get the name. Really nice selection and everything gets an ultrasonic cleaning when it comes in the store.

NP John Lewis - Sensitive Scenery SHM CD

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Henry Threadgill's Very Very Circus Too Much Sugar for a Dime (Axiom)

22. [​IMG]
    I'm listening for the first time right now and I think it's fantastic. Why did they leave this on the shelf for more than 25 years? This is easily up there with their best work.

23. This is that "accidental stereo," right? Is this a full album of stereo, or just a few cuts?

24. Lonson

Re-listening to disc 14 of the Collector's Edition of "1965-1966: The Cutting Edge" box set of Bob Dylan masterpieces in the rough. Wonderfully interesting takes of "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Low Lands" and "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again."

I love they way they consistently mixed this set . . . very modern sounding with a narrower stereo soundscape but real clarity without sacrificing heft and punch. And the development of these songs take by take is a fascinating listen.

lschwart likes this.
  25. Lonson

Over the years "Between Nothingness and Eternity" has become my favorite of their releases, and when this came out I fell for it hard. Then came the expanded live date in the complete box set. . . . Wonderful to have more of this material.

Tokyo Ghost, Mook and mdekoning like this.