Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Thing is. . . I don't need more music in my house! And I'm beginning to not want it. I may start a policy of attrition: something new must be replacing something old.

2. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

Go for it Lonson! I culled my lp collection from several thousand to 500 and I have never enjoyed my records more. All killer and no filler.

peter1, Starwanderer, ronfint and 3 others like this.
  3. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

I'll see your Volume 1: The Trio and raise you a quartet, Guitarded!

[​IMG]

I still enjoy his playing so much, even if I went further and further in my jazz experiments after I discovered him.

Now, you can usually find me sitting on the same piano bench as Alice Turiyasangitananda in 1966-1967, watching JC's butt (pardonnez mon français).

But I loved all those jazz pianists of yore, as some in here know very well. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    jeffsjazz, rxcory, MarkAJ and 5 others like this.
  4. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I don't know why I don't have that!?

5. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

6. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Just for fun, and here are the credits:

Count Basie All-Stars: Dickie's Dream

Emmett Berry, Doc Cheatham, Joe Newman, Joe Wilder (trumpet) Vic Dickenson, Benny Morton, Dickie Wells (trombone) Earl Warren (alto sax) Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster (tenor sax) Gerry Mulligan (baritone sax) Count Basie (piano) Freddy Green (guitar) Eddie Jones (bass) Jo Jones (drums)

(Television broadcast, "The Sound Of Jazz", CBS Studio #58, NYC, December 8, 1957)

They probably should have added Billie Holiday in the credits as "main groupie in charge" or "gogo dancer" (and I certainly don't mean that in a pejorative way, because she could do no wrong by me ever).

And also, as sound effects men, Snap, Crackle and Pop (the sound sucks). (Come to think of it, the visual sucks as well...)

And, I guess, cigarette smoke as Da Killer of Them All. :shake:

But anyway, what a thrill (for me, at least) to see all those musicians in the same place at the same time, just having a blast.

An important document, as I like to (pompously) say.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe we can find some midpoint between our houses to put some music. Maybe in that Mountain Archive in Pennsylvania, where there is lots of great stuff plus the FBI Files on Record Collectors

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

No, sorry, for domestic tranquility I'm going with my wife's wishes and downsizing slowly. . . .

jeffsjazz and miklew like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I had a few jazz albums starting in 1969 (when I turned 17), but my real education begin in the mid-70s. I went to the public library for jazz LPs, books & Downbeat magazine. I also heard jazz on college radio stations & bought used jazz records when I could afford them. I also had friends who dug some jazz & we shared albums. Of course, it's easier now, but even then it could be done.

Bobby Buckshot, Jacline and JeffMo like this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I think you might actually be referring to the loud majority.

alankin1 and ronfint like this.
  11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Please send all culls to me. I will pay shipping. (Even though I have too much, my wife still supports my collecting.)

JeffMo likes this.
  12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Blakey.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I will have to pull my liner notes out, but IIRC disc 3 is right after that album. Remember though, the boxset is in chrono order by session and not by album.

If you are looking for a home for "something old" CDs, I would welcome your hand me downs Lon! :D

No jazz playing at the moment since I'm watching football playoffs, but if the game doesn't improve soon I'm going to mute the tv volume and play some Miles!

Conversation: anyone remember the syndicated radio show hosted by Ramsey Lewis called "The Legends of Jazz"? I used to enjoy that on Sun nights when I lived in Virginia and it was a nice way to unwind from a weekend and head into another work week.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Several others have recommended Hawes - I'm unfamiliar with this artist and will add him to my "explore" list!

Jacline and Guitarded like this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Got this at a sale yesterday for $4.50. Way back in the 70s when I began to seriously explore jazz the library had a copy of this. It's really good, with just two tracks of 25:03 & 20:30. Wish there were more. With Clifford Jordan (ts), Mal Waldron (p) & Eddie Khan (b). Recorded in S.F., 10/27/62. As often with Fantasy, the producer & engineer are not credited. 1991 CD remastered by Gary Hobish.

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Last night I watched Shirley Clarke's 'Ornette: Made In America'. There is a little footage from the late 60s, but the film centers around Ornette & Prime Time in Fort Worth in the 80s, including an appearance with the Fort Worth Symphony. To me the film is a bit goofy & the music is not top-notch Ornette, but it's worth seeing if you have any interest in him.

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  17. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Full nostalgia, from 1979:

[​IMG]
    I adore this album, even with the chattering in-between songs (which they call "rap"), and I always have to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. (Also: Canadian content!)

Come on... Joni + Hancock + Pastorius + Shorter?
    Bliss.​

18. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

I will seek that doc out, vanhooserd. Thanks!

vanhooserd likes this.
  19. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Still having fun, from 1927 this time:

My man Bix B!

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I still keep an eye out for the Down Beat year end best of lists. I don't read as many magazines as I did once upon a time so I lose track of releases more today.

21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

God must be a boogie man. :love:

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

I hope so, but it didn't seem proper to photoshop the cover.

vanhooserd and Jacline like this.
  23. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

God must be a boogie man!

:)

24. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

From the 1986 movie 'Round Midnight, which I really should watch again, because it's been way too long, Dexter Gordon and Lonette McKee:

Excellent duet.

25. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

(((My partner is like: "But what have you been doing for so long this evening on your phone?" And I'm like: "Just watching the stock and commodities exchange, baby! The USA are worrying me a bit! Be right there!")))

[​IMG]

From 1958. Certainly worth more than one listen, as far as "older" jazz goes. (Hi, Phineas!)