Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Al was with Ellington from '43 to '51. . . I really like how Ellington and Strayhorn wrote to support and feature his voice. I actually like his work with Duke more than his solo artist work, but like them both.

Jacline likes this.
  2. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

3. Not heard this one, Jacline. But if it's anything like Largo I need to check it out. Is it anything like Largo?

(normal avatar service has been resumed, as you can see :))

Jacline likes this.
  4. Borderline?? He's rockin' his sax, tarn it! Fela had 'jazz' coursing through his veins. Love, love, love his music.

Great to find another fan of Fela. You win an invitation to dinner at a swanky Ginza restaurant anytime you're in Tokyo. Except in August, don't come to Tokyo in August. :tsk:

5. It's a miserable, wet, grey and cold Thursday morning in Tokyo. This is helping, especially 'Wake Up And Live', which has a scorchin' little alto sax solo at the end. Bob was from the countryside in St Ann's, like my father's folks. It's one of the most beautiful parts of Jamaica. Wouldn't mind being there on a day like this.
    Melba Liston also gets a namecheck in the album credits, not sure what her connection with Marley was.

[​IMG]

1979 Japan lp ILS-81231 white label pressing.

6. Duh! The obvious one, she plays trombone on the album. :doh:

7. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

And please don't come to Montreal in August, my Fela friend!

... We'll meet in Anchorage, then? Pick a date within the next year (at the rate we're melting, let's be quick about it).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  8. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Thanks for the regular avatar service. I was losing my mind! :)

I am not at all familiar with Brad M.'s work, so I can't say if Highway Driver is like Largo.

Anyone else wants to step in? Anyone? Bueller?

9. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

God how great to be in the front row for her? Ungodly....

rxcory and Jacline like this.
  10. Is Montreal a sauna too?
    Anchorage or Alaska as a whole, looks like a beautiful place. I was in your Canadian Rockies a few years ago and loved it.
    I'd like to make a return to that part of the world. Wanna see some polar bears while they still have a viable habitat. In fact I'd like to see any available bears. Didn't see a single one in Canada, just the warning signs.

I like bears. :thumbsup:

Jacline and dennis the menace like this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Did not know that. Of course, I didn't know who she was when I bought Survival. :rolleyes:

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue (Blue Note) 2001 RVG cd
    Love this album. Some day I'd like to own a clean original.

13. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP - Since Fela is ok here. No Agreement

I could listen to Tony Allen practice sessions and still maybe want to buy them. There was a time in my life I would have loved to have been the keyboard player for Fela and the guitar player for James Brown. The title track here wants me to be both at the same time, add in some Lester Bowie, oh yeah.

[​IMG]

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Frank and Company :)shh:) (Reprise) stereo custom label.
    The left over tracks from the Sinatra/Jobim sessions are side one and quite good imo.

rxcory likes this.
  15. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Andrew Hill - Compulsion!!!!!

2015 Blue Note/Universal Japan UCCQ-5118 SHM-CD

Recorded October 8, '65 at Rudy's

[​IMG]

16. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

17. jbg

jbg Senior Member

Art Tatum group masterpieces vol 8. It's how I best enjoy Tatum especially with Ben Webster being in the mix.

Ellsworth, Jacline, charlesp and 2 others like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Dedicated To Dolphy - Pieces By. John Lewis, Harold Farberman, Gunther Schuller, Wm O. Smith (Cambridge Music)
    A rare third stream lp. There's one copy on Discogs for sale and a copy has never been sold on the site. Granted, Discogs isn't that old but still...

19. I was looking for the name of the alto sax player and happened across 'many thanks to Melba Liston' in the sleeve notes.
    She plays on ' One Drop', I wonder if she did the horn arrangements.

20. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

[​IMG]

Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall. Popped by on shuffle an my drive to work, inbetween various rawk and other tunes. Enjoyed the heck out of it :cool:

Additionally:

[​IMG]

Deelder Draait
    is an album compiled by famous Dutch poet and jazz-buff Jules Deelder, which has turned me on to many, many great jazz artists/ensembles. Here's the tracklist, to give you an indication:

1. Cal Tjader - A Minor Goof
    2. Don Patterson Trio - Sister Ruth
    3. Red Holloway Sextet - Monkey Sho Can Talk
    4. Don Wilkerson Quintet - Camp Meeting
    5. Tony Fruscella Septet - Salt
    6. Fats Navarro Featured With Tadd Dameron Quintet - Anthropology
    7. Kenny Dorham Octet - Minor's Holiday
    8. Cozy Cole Orchestra - Blop Up
    9. Cozy Cole Orchestra - Blop Down
    10. Cliff Jordan & John Gilmore Quintet - Status Quo
    11. Red Norvo Big Band - Russian Lullaby
    12. Eddie Lockjaw Davis Orchestra - Wild Rice
    13. Sax Kari Orchestra - Down For Debbie
    14. Erskine Hawkins And His Orchestra - Needle Points
    15. A.K. Salim - Blu-Shout
    16. Jimmy Heath Sextet - For Minors Only
    17 Eric Kloss Quintet - African Cookbook

He's compiled two more albums that are equally worth checking out, and which hopefully have helped to turn a whole new audience on to jazz. The poetry of couse is also very worthy of discussion in a thread about jazz and conversation!

21. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

WP Chez Toots, Toots Thielmans; just makes you feel good to be alive.
    [​IMG]
    NP Sonny Stitt, Stitt Plays Bird.
    [​IMG]
    I don't have enough of this guy in my collection and this one is a must have.

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Interesting! Doing an internet search I found there's a research paper on her activity in JA: Smile Orange: Melba Liston in Jamaica" by Spencer, Dianthe - Black Music Research Journal, Vol. 34, Issue 1, Spring 2014 | Online Research Library: Questia Reader

I can't access the whole article but it's likely a good guess that she had something to do with the horn arrangements. Survival is one of my favorite Marley records, and one that I point to that say Marley was "soft" on political issues. A guy doesn't write songs like Babylon System or Ambush in the Night if he's soft. Those tunes are right up there with Tosh's political lyrics of the same time.

23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Larry CoryellEquipoise (Muse Records)
    — With Stanley Cowell, Buster Williams, Billy Hart; three Coryell originals plus one each by Cowell and Williams plus Brownie's "Joy Spring"

[​IMG]

rockinlazys, Lonson, ronfint and 5 others like this.
  24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Last night was Eric Dolphy's Last Date. Magnificent album with a tremendous performance from Mischa Mengelberg. I need to play the ICP box set a lot more.

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

A cournicopia of talent put together by Murray in '78. On the small but vital Plilly Jazz label.

[​IMG]