Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

2. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Easy to recommend Teachout on Duke. Get his Pops book too!

3. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Cool, I saw a copy for €20 delivered so I have ordered it, I will looks at the LA book too once I am through with the Duke. Cheers for the help :)

4. Phillip Walch

[​IMG]
    Need some vocal tonight so starting with John Martyn and will see here he wine take me.

rockinlazys, Leeston, Marzz and 3 others like this.
  5. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Amazing album, pairs well with Live At Leeds and wine also if you want it to take you. :) But seriously Danny Thompson!!!

6. Phillip Walch

He adds a something to any work he is on, just like 'Five leaves Left', if he was not there it would have the same energy.

On Solid Air that section from midway through 'I'd Rather be the Devil' to the end of 'Go Down Easy' is very possibly 6 of my favourite minutes of music to hear. john Martyn was a special guy no doubt but the bass is exceptional.

Leeston, Stu02 and Soulpope like this.
  7. Phillip Walch

I think I will move to a Live at Leeds but something darker, the Mark Lanegan bootleg from his acoustic show there will probably be next. Not very jazzy though so I wont infect the thread with it!

8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Your comments remind me there are a lot of these sounds on various MM Blue Notes. On Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder there is this noise coming from Billy Higgins and his drums that might be a squeaking chair or him panting or something, throughout the album. Art Blakey I find notable for vocalizations and on Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue there is significant tape print thru especially on Mule where you can hear the guitar before it plays. Not important, just thought I'd mention it.

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I literally just got this CD this morning and was giving it the first listen. I went out to Barnes and Noble to pick over the rotting remains of their CD section, scrounging for any remaining morsels in the $4.99 section and this is something I found.

Steely Dan is a recently acquired taste of mine. I've had vinyl copies of Countdown to Ecstasy and Gaucho for 11-12 years that I got for free from an older friend who was giving away his record collection (due to a recent remarriage) and that I had never played once in that time. When I was younger, I guess due to their sort of middle groundedness between jazz and rock, I felt that they were neither rock nor jazz enough (perhaps straying too close to adult contemporary territory) and I just never felt like listening to them much.

There's a stereo 6-eye Kind of Blue in my local shop for $40 that is super noisy too. It's been there for 3-4 weeks and no one has bought it yet. Every time I go in there the devil on my shoulder tells me to go ahead and get it any way just to have it... so far the angel on my other shoulder has remained victorious. Hopefully, someone will buy it soon, I don't know if the angel can hold out indefinitely.

Planbee likes this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

True, I've noticed that pre-echo tape artifact during the real quiet sections of one of the other MM Blue Notes I have. Also, on Candy, I forget which tune, but there is a quiet(ish) section where Morgan lays out and Clark is softly comping, Watkins is smoothly strolling, and Taylor is gently swinging with lots of activity on the ride cymbal... there was a sort of sizzly sound that I wasn't quite sure if it was due to some sort of degradation of the original tape or if it was from the actual cymbal (like having rivets in it or something placed on it to give that effect).

Those extra-musical effects don't bother me at all, especially the sounds the musicians make, though. One of the most noticeable examples I can think of a musician making sounds while playing is Glenn Gould on some of his recordings of Bach's works. He's really scatting along at times so that it's as audible as the piano itself... I kind of like it personally, but picture some classical purists being appalled and disgusted by it.

11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Here's a pic for everyone to enjoy, taken from a post in the Miles Davis discussion group FB page:

[​IMG]

dzhason likes this.
  12. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

yeah I thought i could clean some of this noise away...

it got better but its just too loud....I don't care about a little in the quiet parts but you can hear it all the way through...ruins it...

13. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Agree about those six minutes. I am feeling the need to go home and spin Live At Leeds now myself, I only have the original vinyl, looks like there has been multiple re-issues of it with stuff I don't have which I now want to hear.

14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

You might get lucky. I was hoping the same thing on the KoB I mentioned. The record shop has an adjoining room with a hifi shop that has an ultrasonic cleaner where they'll do cleanings for a few bucks, I ran it through but it didn't really help.

15. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

drives me crazy, record doesn't have a mark on it....

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

One of my early audio mentors used to say "Stylus damage is forever!" (Diamond tip pun).

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Pulled out David Murray's 1981 octet album Home, literally just because the edge of the record was hanging out and I saw it and thought, boy, haven't heard that in a while. What a great album. And what a great band, with Henry Threadgill, Butch Morris, Anthony Davis, George Lewis and Olu Dara.

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Terry Callier - What Color Is Love (MCA)
    This has some jazz elements along with folkish bits. What a talent he was.

rockinlazys and Stu02 like this.
  20. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The Nightfly is one of my favorite albums, and pretty much the only time you get sincere, straightforward lyrics out of Fagen. Speaking of Steely Dan and jazz, here's their appearance on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz. A fun listen, and a lot of mutual respect.

alankin1, Bobby Buckshot and dzhason like this.
  21. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

As far as "real jazz" goes, been listening to a lot of this the last couple days:

[​IMG]

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

The Naughty 1920s: Red Hot & Risque Songs Of The Jazz Age Volume 1

Six String and Lonson like this.
  23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Stressful week, ...this record always feels like a big warm comfy blanket to sooth my nerves....
    any of you have a similar medicine?[​IMG]

David Ellis, NorCal, Aura and 5 others like this.
  24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

What with Phil and his John Martyn Solid Air and then 6 String with Terry Callier What Colour is Love , as 2 examples of many similar posts here , well, ahem, I have to draw the conclusion that clearly Jazz fans posting on this thread have the best taste in all genres of music....

alankin1 and Six String like this.
  25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Im staying with the big man for while longer...