Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I played this a second time, hoping to like it better. A little too much of a New York R & B album for me, compared to the Prestige albums by her that I have. Scott (org), Ernie Royal (tp), King Curtis (ts), David "Fathead" Newman (ts, fl), Hank Crawford (as, bars), Eric Gale (g), Richard Tee (p), Chuck Rainey or Jerry Jemmott (el b) & Bernard Purdie or Jimmy Johnson (d). Arranger: Marty Sheller. Producer: Joel Dorn. Recorded 9/68, Atlantic Studios, NYC with engineer Adrian Barber & 7/69, Regent Sound Studios, NYC with engineer Bob Liftin. Released as Atlantic SD 1532. Sound is rather hard & adds to the un-relaxed feel. Still, some might really rock out to this. 2004 Collectables reissue.

rockinlazys likes this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    When I see this label I think of The Who, Loretta Lynn & Conway Twitty. This fine album was recorded 3/8 & 11/68, NYC. Hines (p, voc), Buck Clayton (tp), Budd Johnson (ts, ss), Bill Pemberton (b) & Oliver Jackson (d). I got this at a store give-away, one of five free items.

Bobby Buckshot and Lonson like this.
  3. I scoured the used bins in Tokyo for freekin' years looking for Solid Air and nothing doing. Finally gave up and went for the reissue (not the Abbey Road version). I really don't like resorting to Amazon if I can help it, but in this case it was worth it.

WorldB3 likes this.
  4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

And you show your good taste by hanging out with us! :p :D
    Seriously though, it probably does mean you hold these same artists in high esteem so we're all part of this group of people who know what is what. ;)

WP Alice Coltrane - Ptah The El Dahoud (Impulse)

NP George Coleman - Amsterdam After Dark (Timeless)

The Alice was mentioned earlier and I had to play it. Tge Cleman features Hilton Ruiz on piano and the rhythm section of the great Sam Jones and Smiling Billy Higgins. Recorded in NYC n 1978. George is on it!

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Wynton Kelly - Piano (Riverside) XRCD
    W/Kenny Burrell! Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones too. A little tame compared to Coleman but still swinging like mad.

rxcory and jeffsjazz like this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I can't think of one single album off the top of my head that is my go to in such situations, but I think that album is a great candidate for a cure all of what ails 'ya.

Of course, it could always vary, but one song that I find myself consistently put at ease by when I need it is the opening track, "Lazy Calm", off of Cocteau Twins' Victorialand. It's not jazz and not anything like Cannonball, but it's been soothing my nerves for well over 20 years now.

EDIT: forgot to insert the Youtube link to the track:

Maybe one day I'll know as much different music as the good folks here. I've never heard of John Martyn before, but I decided to stream Solid Air after you all mentioned it and I'm very glad I did... I see myself falling for this hard core.

jay.dee, David Ellis, Aura and 4 others like this.
  7. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Resolution 88 - Afterglow

[​IMG]

dzhason likes this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Listening to the John Martyn album got me in the mood to listen to a few tracks from Tim Buckley's Blue Afternoon before hanging up my hat for the day.

[​IMG]

9. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]

Stanley Clarke - If This Bass Could Only Talk (1988)

I really appreciate this album of Stanley Clarke in the eighties in which he was accompanied by extraordinary musicians as:

* Paulinho Da Costa / Percussion
    * George Duke / Piano
    * Allan Holdsworth / Guitar
    * Freddie Hubbard / Trumpet
    * Wayne Shorter / Sax (Soprano)

Six String, dzhason and mdekoning like this.
  10. [​IMG]
    Nothing too exciting, but it surprises me how comfortable Chet sounds after not playing with Gerry Mulligan for more than 4 years.

11. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Now playing - from the Miles Complete set - anybody know how Howard Roberts got involved in the record? Was Teo just not available? Couldn't find anything after a brief Google search.

Would say that this is my favorite 2nd quintet studio release.

[​IMG]

rxcory, djost, Six String and 2 others like this.
  12. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

This is the awesome thing about not knowing an artist or band. Finding them for that first time is a gift and then exploring deeper to find hidden gems. I found John Martyn as a 12 year old who was obsessed with his dads records, I found Solid Air and Stormbringer! and was struck by the covers first, once I listened there was no turning back. I have been hooked ever since.

David Ellis and dzhason like this.
  13. jeffsjazz

jeffsjazz Forum Resident

Great cds all aand many can be had in ECM box set of Lloyd- well worth it !

14. jeffsjazz

jeffsjazz Forum Resident

15. jeffsjazz

jeffsjazz Forum Resident

16. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

[​IMG]

This is perfect for a cloudy Saturday morning

rxcory, djost, alankin1 and 7 others like this.
  17. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

[​IMG]

Stan is done with his set now it's Dizzy's turn.

rxcory, rockinlazys, djost and 4 others like this.
  18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Last night I played the George Piros cut of Coltrane's Giant Steps. Tremendous version on vinyl, one I like a lot more than the Rhino 45 rpm.

[​IMG]

19. Phillip Walch

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

IME finding quiet/clean playing early 6-eye pressings is very tough even with albums that look like they're unplayed or played very little. Mono helps a lot since you can either sum channels or use a mono cart which gets rid of a lot of the noise.

It's a shame since I have never heard any pressing that has the killer "haunting" tone of the stereo 6-eye KoB, the closest would have been the original Japan for Japan or Japan for US CD and even that has too much hiss compared to the 6-eye LP.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Here is a guy I've only begun exploring in recent years. I've been aware of him forever it seems but for some reason I never went down that road until now. Blue Afternoon is one of the few I have and I like it a lot.

NP MJQ - Concorde (Prestige) XRCD

Easng into tge morning with my cup of Shui Xian Oolong.

22. Phillip Walch

I loved getting into Tim Buckley, and Nick Drake, then stuff like Season of the Witch by Donovan. Great times.

I love Jeff Buckley too, among my very favourite artists of the 90s

fredhammersmith and dzhason like this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Question, would you buy a stereo 6-eye KoB for $40 even if it's consistently crackly throughout?

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That was my first Dizzy lp. I wanted to hear My Heart Belongs To Daddy because at the time Jessica Williams was playing it a lot and her drummer at the time, Kenny Wolleson would usually go nuts a bit which made it extra exciting.
    So I was initially disappointed with the version on the Dizzy album but I got over it of course. I could certainly here the arrangement that influenced Jessica's version.

NP Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (Impulse) cd

I adore the opening track, In A Sentmemtal Mood. It really sets mood for me.

BKphoto, dzhason and DLant like this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

As far as physical media, I only have the CD compilation called Morning Glory The Tim Buckley Anthology and a live album Dream Letter, but I was streaming Blue Afternoon last night and after seeing the track list, I'd say that, if you're gonna have one or two Buckley's then that's the definitely one to have. That album is practically a best of collection all on its own, all of the tracks except for two are on the anthology I have and those tracks are the best ones of the anthology at that.