Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely great playing, although his guitar tone is a little different than usual, a little less full. Of course, this inspired me to choose the following as the next item to open from my recently received order:

Grant Green - Green Street (Music Matters 33.3)

[​IMG]

garrincha, vanhooserd, rxcory and 5 others like this.
  2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I've actually never heard Lotus. While I've always respected Santana, I haven't really been a huge fan, of course I do have several different copies of Abraxas (cd, dvd-a, Columbia half-speed mastered lp) but hadn't explored much of his other output. Although, in the past few months I have picked up a MoFi SACD of Caravenserai and an old pressing of Borboletta, and noticed that I do have an old pressing of his first album on my shelf that I don't recall ever having listened to (which I should bust out sometime soon). I really like the music on those releases I just mentioned, but I could sort of do without some of the vocals; although, I like all the vocal tracks on Abraxas, perhaps I just haven't listened to those enough yet for the vox to grow on me.

3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I hadn't originally planned to order the next album, but I happened to randomly start streaming it right when I was about to place my acousticsounds order, after just the opening few notes of "Blue Bossa" I had to add it.

Joe Henderson - Page One (Music Matters 33.3)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    garrincha, miklew, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This one is different. . . many of the vocals are by Leon Thomas. . . which makes it different than earlier albums. Though you may not be familiar with Leon Thomas. The new Japanese edition of Lotus restores a few more numbers with Thomas on vocals, a good thing. . . .

jay.dee and dzhason like this.
  5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Thanks, I checked out his wikipedia page and of the albums it lists as having his participation, I have heard zero of them. I'll have to stream Lotus some time soon as an introduction.

6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch (Music Matters 33.3)

[​IMG]

(It was very hard to resist making some corny pun about the current time of day where I am and the name of this album, but I did... sort of).

7. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

NP: Milt Jackson, Memories of Thelonious Sphere Monk (Polydor Japan CD, not the US OJC pictured) with Ray Brown, Monty Alexander and Mickey Roker

Live date in London from '82 at Ronnie Scott's Club. Folks, if you haven't ever sat down to listen to this one I'd advise doing it. These guys are cookin' something fierce and very inspired. Of note, the version of 'Round Midnight they play is led by Brown bowing his bass and it's absolutely beautiful, a real treasure of a song.

peter1, Jacline, fingerpoppin and 5 others like this.
  8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

You guys got me interested so I went to Soundstage Direct and ordered it. Compelling first cut considering the background (sacrificing two individuals to the crocodiles) and the chants make it sound very authentic. The rest of the record gets on with being what it is, a jazz album and a god one at that.
    [​IMG]

Then on the same order page... Customers who bought Drum Suite also bought...
    [​IMG]

This looked like a good companion to Drum Suite and is a stunner. It differs from a lot of Blue Notes in that it uses a much larger group of players, 8 including the leader rather than the usual 4-6. Art Blakey is on hand though not featured as prominently as on Drum Suite.

BKphoto, btf1980, Muggles and 5 others like this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

+ @Aura

The Drum Suite has been in my local shop, except for that it's an early pressing and not the Impex, ever since I first started going in there. I think this record has fallen into the category of records that you keep seeing and thinking you'll get it one day yet always finding something else you decide to get first. Horace Silver's Cafe Verdean Blues was one such record for me and it went on for probably 15+ years, until I got it in the Music Matters final set recently... after which I felt like "I can't believe I didn't get this years ago, I've really been missing out all this time". If that's any indication, I should probably pick up the Drum Suite sooner rather than later.

10. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Sounds like a good find, you should pick it up before someone else gets it.

rxcory and dzhason like this.
  11. Lonson

Love this woman.

[​IMG]

jay.dee and rxcory like this.
  12. Lonson

And now on to this excellent Flora Purim album. This is blessed with the presence of Hermeto Pascoal. And also has McCoy Tyner, Joe Henderson, Ron Carter. . . among others. A gem.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Six String, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Redirect Notice
    Apologies I typically take my own photos , process through photobucket and then post them here. Is there an alternate easier method to just copy and paste an lp cover from google images directly onto a posting without going through photobucket or similar?
    The redirect notice is not great
    Any advice would be appreciated

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I simply right click on the image, select "copy image" and paste it in the post. Works all the time.

Here is one of my old dear friend Mark Murphy.

Mark Murphy (singer) - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

Six String likes this.
  15. Playing..

[​IMG]

I made it a point long ago when I was amassing my jazz collection on CD to buy everything with Booker Ervin's name on it. When I started getting serious about jazz on vinyl I knew I had to get me some Booker. Booker Ervin vinyl is in short supply :(, I rarely come across original or 2nd pressings and not too much issued for Japan either, at least not his Prestige material, there's more of his Savoy recordings. This is a 1972 reissue with green labels and Van Gelder stampers. Nice glossy sleeve, picked up dirt-cheap too.
    If you don't know Ervin's output and want to go beyond the obvious giants of post-bop tenor sax then start with Ervin's Prestige 'books' (so-called because of their titles - the Blues, Freedom, Space and Song books). As well as Booker you get one of the best rhythm sections in the music with Davis and Dawson. If you are drawn to a Monk/Nichols style of piano you will love Jaki Byard.
    This time out I was drawn in by his gorgeous version of 'I Can't Get Started', but when he stretches out on his own compositions he's superb. This is essential music, IMO.

peter1, rxcory, Soulpope and 8 others like this.
  16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 3/95 at Ambient Studio, Stamford, CT by engineer Tom Lazarus. Eight songs from 'Show Boat' & three Previn originals. In the liner notes Previn talks about recently coming across an unpriced copy of one of his jazz albums in a used-record shop. Not having a copy, he asked the bored clerk about the price & was told "You can have it. No charge." This one is nice & mellow, well-but-somewhat-distantly recorded. One of my 99 cent finds.

David Ellis likes this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

[​IMG]

A friend found this for $1.00 on vinyl in the clearance bin at Amoeba and told me I needed it. He was right, and it was 100 pennies well spent. A few pops here and there (and I haven't cleaned it yet), but not a bad copy at all, and certainly worth a lot more than I paid for it, based on the quality of the music. I own a couple other Return to Forever albums, and a few other albums with Corea, but outside of the stuff he did with Miles, this is my favorite work of his that I've heard. Really enjoying it.

rxcory, jay.dee, Marzz and 8 others like this.
  18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I should have said the question was for iPhones or iPads. That doesn't seem to work on mobile devices. I guess with mobile devices there is no simple way to copy and paste?

19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I adore this album. For some reason I play it during the warm summer months. Lovely summer listening pleasure

20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

AP has and is reissuing a lot of his classic early 60s stuff. They sound fabulous.

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

On iPhone/iPad,

1) do a Google image search
    2) on the page where all the images are in a grid, tap the image you want, that should focus on it similar as to how it would if you clicked it on a desktop computer
    3) tap and HOLD on the image for a couple seconds, then release
    4) a menu will appear from the bottom, choose"Copy"
    5) back here on the forum, do the usual, click the insert image and paste in the URL

[​IMG]

You may actually be able to skip step 2, but that's what I always do on my iPhone to copy/paste. I'm not sure, but if you skip it you may actually paste a smaller version of the image.

Stu02 likes this.
  22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

In Chrome, when you click and hold an image, one option is to copy the location. Then click the image button here, and paste the URL.

In Safari, copying an image will copy the location as long as it's not a link. If it's a link, the link is what's copied.

Stu02 likes this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I agree, this is a wonderful album, in fact I just posted that I was listening to this album on Monday during my work commute. I almost listened to it again last night at home so I could get a nice proper listen minus all the road noise drowning out the fine details, but I was too tired and crashed instead. I think I'll probably break it out today at some point.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Bobo Stenson - Reflections (ECM)

NP George Mraz - My Foolsh Heart (Milestone)
    A trio setting with Richie Beirach and Billy Hart.

Soulpope likes this.
  25. That's good to know, I'd like to try some AP product, don't have anything from them in my collection.

dzhason likes this.