Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[​IMG] And now for some classic Canterbury wonder. One of my favourites records from this scene. I managed to find a very early uk pressing while in Bordeaux last summer for the euros.
    There is a nervous twitchy foot in the jazz genre here but combined with funk , Avanti garde ,French cabaret, eastern, rock ........
    A crazy wondrous album that may require a few repeat listens to appreciate. I plan to listen to Cecil Taylor's conquistador next so it's a good head shake to get me in the groove for that....

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I was listenng to NRBQ's Wild Weekend cd and remembering the version of Little Floater they did on the tv show Night Music and Phil Woods sat in and blew the roof off with his solo. So he's not on the original but I just noticed this after owning this cd for decades that Roswell Rudd plays the trombone solo on The One & Only! NRBQ were truly one of a kind and a band for everyone. If they can't play something you like, you better check your pulse.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I really don't allow someone else's opinion to affect my listening. I have these Gieseking Debussy recordings on that Hybrid SACD, and on two different vintage vinyl pressings. The Hybrid SACD is better (on both CD and SACD layers). Critics like that suppress people's enjoyment of music rather than enhance it. These are absolutely legendary recordings.

dzhason, Marzz and Electric like this.
  4. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Ironically, this SACD arrived in my mail box on Ella's 100 Birthday and its a fitting, lovely tribute! I have this recording on CD but the SACD sounds better. The people behind the remaster have performed the sonic equivalent of the Restoration of the Sistine Chapel. It's two hours worth of Ella's glorious voice singing Cole Porter. What could be better?

5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered one this morning. They are all gone now as are many of the other titles on the Sam website. Looks like many people ordered a few to help w shipping costs. A good day for the company.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Actually, it was originally scheduled to but has been delayed to June.

7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have an original pressing and a friend of mine has this reissue. The reissue is definitely more open , detailed and warm sounding to me

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The official list price for the vinyl (65 Euros or $70 plus higher cost shipping) is absurd when the CD edition lists at $18 and will likely be widely available for $14. It will be the same mastering.

So those who go to ebay may pay 10 times as much for the vinyl as the CD, instead of 5 times as much from the distributor (now gone). Is anybody rational?

Same mastering

Instant Dharma likes this.
  9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I cannot fault any of your logic. All I can say is my love of vinyl (records that is) is irrational.
    :help:

fastskillfulinjured and dzhason like this.
  10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The vinyl is AAA, so not the same mastering.

11. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

CDs are "alternative facts." :cool:

Jacline likes this.
  12. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Nuts, that was on my to buy list..

13. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

I was thinking of trying out Sun Ra Chicago era stuff. Recommendations?

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That is the Ltd. Ed. price with the more costly packaging/booklet. You can't compare that to the cost of the cd unless you only want the music and not the other bits. If you nly want the music then, yeah, you can get iT cheaper and kudos to the company for giving people the option. There is a cheaper vinyl version coming out too if you don't need the artifice. How many companies give you that many options? Like a little cheese with that wine?

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I saw him around that time. About all I can remember is that Daryl Stuermer was his guitar player.

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

True, but the packaging does not really cost $50. We know that. Most of the charge is related to the addition of the word "Limited" on the package. The actual difference in the music quality itself is indeed "limited".

Stu02 likes this.
  17. Lonson

I love these. . . recommend them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good places to start for the Chicago period.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Great. To me, these are almost like "advanced be-bop" Love them. They are like Monk's Bluenote recordings in a way. A distillation of Sun-Ra at his very beginning

19. Lonson

[​IMG]

Johnny Smith. . .what a player. Ms Kenney fits right into his rich and present sound.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Beverly Kenney was one of the absolutely greatest singers ever. She has been worshiped in Japan since her all too sad death by her own hand. Her three LPs on Decca and her three LPs on Roost are all worthwhile. In this case, I would say that Johnny Smith fit himself into her sound rather than the other way around, as any great accompanist will.

It's too bad that Mosaic did not put Johnny Smith's recordings with singers from the Roost label on their box set, as that would have exposed a wider audience to Beverly and Jeri Southern. Beverly's recordings have never been reissued in her homeland, despite her tremendous reputation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  21. I paid the Yen equivalent of $100 for my vinyl box last week in Tokyo. ¥10800. More than I wanted to pay but I wanted the vinyl box, not the cd. I'm not losing any sleep that I paid more than you think is reasonable for something I can listen to repeatedly for years to come. Not sure why you're getting so worked up about something you didn't buy. We're all grown-ups around here, we'd like to pay less for our music and if you know a way we can achieve that I'd be delighted to hear it.

TheIncredibleHoke and Morbius like this.
  22. Lonson

Now this excellent sounding SACD by this extremely talented pianist. Geri can play and man has she got an impressive musical mind!

[​IMG]

Lenk, markp, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would not say that I am all worked up, I just think that the current industry practice of doubling the price by stamping "limited" on the cover is not quite right. And I definitely think the companies should press more copies of the deluxe editions so those that want them can buy them without much trouble, and so that EBay re-sellers dont buy up many of the copies.

The easiest way to pay less for the same music is to buy the CD. If we go back about 25 to 30 years, the deluxe gatefold graphics of LP covers cost about one-third the cost of the same music on CDs. But hardly anyone wanted those LPs at that time.

The cost of those graphics is not the reason RSD products cost so much. At widely available discounted prices, you can buy some incredible coffee table books on musicians for as little as $10-20 in new condition. I just bought a superb richly illustrated book on Ellington with many rare photos for $20, new. If that had been part of an RSD limited edition with 2LPs, it probably would have been $200.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

How is Dave Holland doing these days?

25. Lonson

I don't know, he's not one of my personal or social media friends. . . . ;) I haven't been following his leader recordings of the last decades. One day I'll explore those. This SACD was recorded in 2004. . . that was a long time ago! He and Jack support Geri really well here.