Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Fantastic album isn't it? Herbie really shines on this one and the entire ensemble is "on."

rxcory and alamo54us like this.
  2. Lonson

A very interesting recording . . . and performance. I really like this LP facsimile edition I have from Japan.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, rxcory, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Orchestra – Jazz Casual (Koch Jazz / Rhino Entertainment – Jazz Casual)
    — With Thad Jones – flugelhorn; Jerome Richardson – alto saxophone; Jerry Dodgion – alto saxophone; Eddie Daniels – tenor saxophone; Seldon Powell – tenor saxophone; Pepper Adams – baritone saxophone; Snooky Young – trumpet; Richard Williams – trumpet; Randy Brecker – trumpet; Danny Moore – trumpet; Bob Brookmeyer – trombone; Garnett Brown – trombone; Jimmy Knepper – trombone; Benny Powell – trombone; Roland Hanna – piano; Richard Davis – bass; Mel Lewis – drums; 1968

Woody Herman & His Swingin' Herd – Jazz Casual [on Jones-Lewis Jazz Casual] (Koch Jazz / Rhino Entertainment – Jazz Casual)
    — With Woody Herman – clarinet, saxophone; Bill Chase – trumpet; Billy Hunt – trumpet; Dave Dale – trumpet; Phil Wilson – trombone; Henry Southall – trombone; Kenny Wenzel – trombone; Sal Nistico – tenor sax; Carmen Leggio – tenor sax; Jackie Stevens – tenor sax; Frank Hittner – baritone sax; Nat Pierce – piano; Chuck Andrus – bass; Jake Hanna – drums; 1963.

[​IMG]

Lonson likes this.
  4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I ordered the BSCD of this last week from cdjapan, along with the In Europe BSCD and In Berlin BSCD2 albums and a veritable cornucopia of other Miles goodies and delights (+the other Freddie Hubbard albums in the CTI Supreme collection I didn't get last time). I was considering getting the 7 Steps box set instead, but, after comparing the track listing of it against the various live CDs the box also contains, it didn't seem like there was all that much extra material in the box.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    jay.dee and Morbius like this.
  5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane (Analogue Productions 33.3)

[​IMG]

I got the Tenor box from AP a few weeks ago and this album had a lot of pops throughout the first side, despite looking fine visibly, that didn't go away with a cleaning (and Brilliant Corners actually had a significant scratch in the title track that caused a loud pop on every revolution for about a minutes worth of the 2nd sax solo); acousticsounds sent me out replacement copies of those two albums very quickly and I'm taking them for a spin now. I'm on side 2 of Monk and Trane now, and this pressing is pretty stellar.

rxcory, vanhooserd, garrincha and 2 others like this.
  6. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

I really like this album. I think Sam Rivers brought something different to the band and I wish there were more recordings of them together.

jay.dee and Soulpope like this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Were you wrong because though it is gospel you still love it or is it not gospel like at all and that surprised you ....I don't know it

8. Lonson

You'll be happy. I have to say that the Seven Steps box has perhaps my favorite mastering of all the box sets, but the Mobile Fidelity SACDs and the Sony Blu-Spec CD2s of the albums sound better.

9. Lonson

Me too. There are in fact two other performances in Japan that circulate among collectors. The official and unofficial releases combined would be welcome as a Bootleg Series entry in my opinion!

jay.dee, Soulpope and alamo54us like this.
  10. Lonson

Right now, this beautiful session. The SHM-CD.
    [​IMG]

rxcory, vanhooserd, WorldB3 and 6 others like this.
  11. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Speaking of Freddie Hubbard CTI recordings, I picked up Straight Life on a Pure Pleasure LP and really enjoyed it. Very fusiony in the spirit of Miles Davis in parts, with sinewy bass by Ron Carter but great performances from all involved.

vanhooserd likes this.
  12. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

When I saw the song titles I thought they weren't imaginative choices, which led me to believe that the performances wouldn't be anything exceptional. As Lonson mentioned though, the playing on this session is stellar; both Green and Hancock really shine.
    You know how John Mayall's Bluesbreakers With Eric Clapton offers a kind of textbook on blues rock guitar styles? I think this album is sort of the same. It would be a great primer on jazz guitar...get these solos in your DNA and you're well on your way. Feelin' the Spirit would be a great introduction for someone looking to approach jazz guitar, but coming from another background. And that doesn't even take Herbie Hancock's playing into consideration!
    I have a few other Grant Green albums in my collection, but I'm happy to add this date.

rxcory and Lonson like this.
  13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks Alamo interesting take , you got my attention ...

14. [​IMG]

Spinning this for the past couple of days. Always a pleasure to hear the voices of Miles and Erykah Badhu, though for differing reasons.. :cool:

rxcory and alamo54us like this.
  15. Lonson

Sad morning. My beautiful and talented 26 year old niece, a dancer and dance teacher in NYC, married on June 4 her one and only love, a talented film documentarian of 32 who had battled brain cancer twice in his early life, and right before the wedding had begun treatment for a brain tumor a third time. Radiation had failed to halt its growth and chemo had begun. . .but he passed away last night.

Sad that they had so little time together in a new life. I know her heart is broken, they found each other, were so sillily in love, the good happy love, and now it's extinguished.

I reached for this, even though his mother called him Johnny.

[​IMG]

rxcory likes this.
  16. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

This is tragic. My deepest condolences to your niece and the family, Lonson. I am very sorry for her loss.

garrincha likes this.
  17. Lonson

Thanks Jacline. Yes, having lost my wife nearly ten years ago to cancer. . . I know what she was going through in these final treatments, and like her I was positive that the outcome was going to BE positive. . . and I know the disappointment and heartbreak she is feeling. I got to have nearly twenty years with my love. . .she had a few years. It's so bittersweet and sad. She's a strong woman with TWO good families behind her, she'll be alright in time. But time . . .takes time. . . .

The good thing is that our family . . . we have learned to take things in stride. We have found ways to move forward and reach for happiness and find strength in overcoming sadness and obstacles. My niece Louisa is both the sensitive artist and the girl who went off to NYC from Cleveland at 20 follow her dancing dream and made it work seemingly seamlessly. Ultimately I don't fear for her, but boy do I feel for her right now.

This cd I also have on LP and both are great listens. I like this one more and more as time goes by. A great tribute recording, a great recording outside of the tribute aspect.

[​IMG]

JeffMo, jay.dee, rxcory and 3 others like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Rhat is such a sad story Lon. My condolenced to you and your family at this tragic time. Brain cancer is a tough one to beat.

Lonson likes this.
  19. Lonson

Thanks Les. Cancer SUCKS. I'll argue with anyone who disagrees with that! :)

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

A friend of mine died of brain cancer a year and a half ago. He chose not to go through any agressive treatment and he went shockingly fast. Yes, cancer does indeed suck the big one. You won't get any argument from me. It doesn't care.
    Rich or poor, young or old.

21. Lonson

The great equalizer! Sucks. Sorry to learn of your friend. I had a friend pass away from brain cancer too bout 13 years ago, he was the age I am now. He refused treatment and lived three times longer than they said he would . . . but spent it insistently alone and in gloom, a big change from the happy go lucky fellow he was.

Sucks.

Right now, the SHM-CD
    [​IMG]
    Grant Green, Sonny Clark, Ike Quebec!

rxcory and WorldB3 like this.
  22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Sorry to hear about your niece's husband...

23. Very sad to hear that , Lonson. My sincere condolences.

A cousin of mine died of brain cancer 15 years ago, only a few years after her marriage. She was a lovely, sweet person and it left her husband devastated. They had a tough time when they met as she was black and he was white and there was familial resistance on both sides. But they prevailed and won over the doubters and had a very happy marriage. Then tragedy. It's unfair. We have to treasure our loved ones and whatever good things life offers us.

That Grant Green is a good 'un. We always have music.

WorldB3 likes this.
  24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Sorry to hear this Lonson. Thoughts, prayers and hope that your niece and her deceased husband's family and friends receive the emotional and practical / financial support that they need.

Lonson likes this.
  25. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I'm so sorry to hear that. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Lonson likes this.