Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Bobo Stenson Trio – Reflections (ECM Records)
    — With Anders Jormin, Jon Christenson

[​IMG]

johnnypaddock, markp and Six String like this.
  2. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I have the same feeling. This one above together with the complementary In New York: At the Village Gate (Riverside) from the same year are my favourite (live) recordings of his band, which saw them moving boldly into modal jazz territory, away from a more traditional sound of their earlier dates, like the one in San Francisco ('59) or at the Lighthouse ('60).

It was probably more due to the Zeitgeist than the change of personnel, i.e. the arrival of Yusef Lateef and Joe Zawinul, because this new lineup quickly returned to bop blowing the very next year, as the released material from their Japanese 1963 tour documents. The arrival of Charles Lloyd (replacing Lateef) in 1964 did not buck this trend either, thus 1962 proved pretty unique in the artist's (early) career.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Stu02 and Six String like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I don't think I've heard Charles Lloyd with Cannonball. What title(s) would that be? I'm weak in the Capitol years.

4. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

This 1964 live date is quite representative to their live program and style that year.

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_Adderley_Live!

There is also a tackle on the music themes of the Fiddler on the Roof, but I have not heard that one.

rxcory and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

:o:laugh: I have that album. I ddn't know Lloyd was on it. Now I see hs name in the fine print. Wow, I'm speechless.

jay.dee likes this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Vincent Herring at the VV (MusicMasters)
    It's been too long since I played this one.

7. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

If anyone is interested SHM-CD Roy Haynes "Out Of The Afternoon" is on Amazon UK for £2.61 brand new and delivered. Highly recommended.

Six String likes this.
  8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Very nice minimal. :righton: A pity it is so short and has no CD release.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Gerald Wiggins - Relax And Enjoy It! (Contemporary) OJC lp

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Ben Webster - King Of The Tenors (Verve) Clef Series, Trumpet label, mono

Stu02 likes this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Silly, but funky silly.

Six String and fingerpoppin like this.
  12. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

The Charles Lloyd Quartet - Dream Weaver
    Charles Lloyd, tenor sax & flute; Keith Jarrett, piano; Cecil McBee, bass; Jack DeJohnette, drums.
    Pure Pleasure Records 33.3
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  13. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
    Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; Wayne Shorter, tenor sax; Herbie Hancock, piano; Ron Carter, bass; Elvin Jones, drums.
    Music Matters 33.3
    [​IMG]

rxcory, alankin1, markp and 5 others like this.
  14. Lonson

15. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Must be gone. I can't find it.

16. Lonson

17. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I read somewhere that all the members of the Charles Lloyd Quartet were still active . When was the Survivor Suite album produced?

18. Lonson

The Survivors' Suite - Wikipedia

There are a lot of Charles Lloyd Quartets! If you mean as I surmise the one with Ketih Jarrett at the piano. . . well Keith is not too active these days, Jack DeJohnette a bit more so. . .Cecil McBee is not really active playing but is teaching still I believe. . . Ron McLure replaced McBee and he has still been working and recording. . .

So I guess that the answer would be yes, the members are still "active" but in a reduced capacity compared to their prime years.

19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Thanks

20. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Shame. I think you're right. I can't find it now. Still, not surprising at that price.

21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I picked up a couple of individual releases of the Coltrane Atlantic Mono box. They were just released recently and though I believe there may be a dightal step in the process the sound on it is quite wonderful. Unfortunately Ole was a terribly marked up pressing and when I went back to my local shop to exchange it all Four copies were bad. Giant steps on the other hand was perfect.
    I also received my copy of the art pepper quartet non RSD version from Amazon. Kevin Grey wove his magic mastering again I just wish I hadn't dropped it on my driveway butchering the cover. :doh:

22. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Be awed by greatness. Excellent sound also- really enjoying listening tonight
    [​IMG]

rxcory, sberger, Six String and 2 others like this.
  23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

A very interesting sounding album that is not so conventional but very well done, I like this one a lot!

Lonson likes this.
  24. avanti1960

Hands down my favorite release of the year and just an incredible album. Everything about it ticks all the right boxes. The arrangements are phenomenal with so many things hitting you at once-the drumming, the bass, the piano and of course charles' sax sounding as fluid as ever. a wall of dynamic free flowing sound that is individual but blends perfectly without ever becomming over the top or noise jazz. so spirited. i simply cannot believe how much I like this album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- an instant favorite that has me exploring all of lloyd's back catalog that i don't already own. what a slam dunk winner of a jazz record if there ever was one.

David Ellis likes this.
  25. avanti1960