Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    NP. Continuing with my Grant Green fixation, this one came today. I'm still anxiously awaiting Talkin' About, but I have an uneasy suspicion that the order was screwed up since my "Three Sounds" CD was part of the same order and already arrived from an EBay seller. Fingers crossed, though. Thoroughly enjoying this set in the meantime.

rxcory, markp, Six String and 4 others like this.
  2. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

This method definitely helps me out, and exposes me to great singers as well. One of my gateways to Monk was the Carmen Sings Monk album from Carmen McRae. I'd heard Monk before, of course, but the vocal album really imprinted the songs in my memory. I've found that vocalese in general will do that for me. Jose James does a great rendition of Coltrane's "Equinox," that is a real earworm, and Kurt Elling's take on "Resolution" from A Love Supreme is a stunner.

Tribute likes this.
  3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I got the replacement yesterday for my first copy of Music Matters' Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue and this copy is a winner. Putting it on again now to enjoy with peace of mind.

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue (Music Matters 33)

[​IMG]

rxcory, markp, Six String and 6 others like this.
  4. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Are those hi-res downloads or high-res discs (DVD-a, etc)? I have yet to get into the hi-res download game.

Aura likes this.
  6. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Downloads, primarily HDTracks on many of these 2010-2014 BN reissues, when I post 'hi-res' and the bitrate and sampling rate. I usually specify if the source is SACD or hi-res (download). Excellent sound quality, nevertheless!

Do you have a DAC or a cd player that accepts an external digital connection to its DAC?

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

No. Although, I have an AVR that accepts digital connections from coax and optical, but I'm not sure what the capabilities of its DAC regarding higher bit and sample rates. At some point in the not too distant future, I plan on getting a Cambridge Audio CXU, I'd have to double check the specs but I'm guessing it accepts input to its DAC from external sources (I may be completely wrong in that assumption, however). Lonson has one, maybe he knows?

8. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Although, I do have my Blu-Ray player connected via HDMI to the receiver and play the 192/24 tracks from the Steve Wilson mixed Yes Blu-Ray discs that I have.

10. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Check the connections on the back. It may have an optical or coax connection. The DAC is just one piece in the chain. Typically you would use a computer as a source (via USB) or stream over your home network to an endpoint (Raspberry Pi or Squeezebox or Sonos) which then directly passes the digital stream to the DAC for conversion.

11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

No, it definitely has optical, coax and USB digi ins, I just wasn't sure if it could handle hi-res signals but of course it must if it plays the hi-res tracks off the Yes blu-rays I have. It also connects to my wifi network, but it's a bit of a hassle because it has trouble finding and connecting to the network most of the time, and any time I want to connect my phone via Bluetooth it has trouble connecting too; so I have to tell my phone to forget the receiver and do a fresh pairing every time I want to play from my phone. Now I have a Sonos Play:1 in the kitchen; so any time I want to do streaming I just play through it (the only time I ever really want to do streaming is if we're working in the kitchen). Eventually I want to get the Sonos accessory that let's you play stuff from the stereo system through the Sonos in the other room, but granted that everything in my collection is pretty much available via Apple Music to stream on the Sonos, it's not a high priority.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, the CXU is really designed to be a digital hub, and there are two HDMI inputs, two USB inputs, a coaxial and an optical input. Audio data from all of these inputs are up sampled/converted to 24/96 and the sound from the Wolfson DACs is very good. Getting the CXU is a good idea. . . don't dawdle. . .they are getting harder to find. . . .

13. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

NP: 2013 Remastered, hi-res [24/192] of this excellent 1963 title - Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares

I love, love, love Philly Joe Jones' drum solo on the opener, "Three Way Split." The Hill / Hancock mix on these sessions is quite a nice juxtaposition.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    rxcory, Stu02, Six String and 2 others like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many of the greatest jazz instrumentalists were great singers as well, including Louis Armstrong and countless others. Not all of them put their singing "on wax", but were still creative and expressive singers, no matter what their vocal qualities from a technical point of view. But they were often very high quality vocalists from an emotional or expressive point of view.

Here is one who deserves more attention.

Hot Lips Page.

It is sad that Hot Lips died just at the dawn of the high fidelity and 12 inch LP era (1954, age 46), otherwise he might have left us with some vinyl masterpieces, instead of a pile of short 78s designed for the singles market. In other words, he might have gone on to record some legendary songbook LPs, both uptempo and ballads, and a lot more of his legendary trumpet. If he had enjoyed a long career just to age 75, that would have brought him right to the dawn of the digital age, and probably widespread acclaim as a legend. His natural humor and charisma would have vaulted him to top stardom in the TV age.

His true name of Oran Thaddeus Page rivals that of Thelonious Sphere Monk for uniqueness (though Thelonious beats them all as a first name)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Six String, Stu02, Aura and 1 other person like this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I got into all the old songs & singers via jazz. After enjoying many jazz instrumental recordings of "standards" I got curious about the songs & their lyrics, which led to Sinatra, Crosby & many more. It also opened up the whole history of American popular music, including Broadway & film musicals, songs in films, etc.

Tribute likes this.
  16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks vol. 19 (10/19/73)

[​IMG]

ianuaditis, alankin1 and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    1998 reissue. Recorded in Hollywood, 7/57. Babasin (cello), Gibbs (vibes), Dempsey Wright (guitar), Ben Tucker (bass) & Bill Douglas (drums). Producer: Red Clyde. Engineer: Bones Howe. Cover portrait: Eva Diana. This would be a bit dull were not for the sparkle of Terry Gibbs.

18. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised as their owners acquired a couple of other famous distillery's but Glenmorangie's was the main one with the largest room to expand. I know back in '02/03 they had quite a long waiting list from all over the globe of people who wanted to work there.

19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood Of Breath – "Live At Willisau" (Ogun)
    — With Harry Miller, Louis Moholo, Dudu Pukwana, Evan Parker, Gary Windo, Mongezi Feza, Harry Beckett, Marc Charig, Nick Evans, Radu Malfatti

[​IMG]

jay.dee and Lonson like this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I encourage folks to learn about Dudu Pukwana and the entire spectrum of South African jazz, especially its origins. Unfortunately much of it is very rare in any format, and never reissued. I just bought (at a garage sale) a few small sculptures made in the townships surrounding Capetown in the 1930s where some of my friends were born (in the 1920s). They evoke memories of nights listening to their rare South African records. The owner of these sculptures was a Vietnam vet who was obsessed with his African roots.

Dudu

Dudu Pukwana - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jay.dee, johnnypaddock, Stu02 and 2 others like this.
  21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

My dad was a Billie Holiday fan and like many I fell under her spell on first listen when I was a teenager. The great part of course is exposure to the art so young. The problem was that she was so able to convey her emotions ( devestatingly so) to a young person who grew up on a diet of rock pop and folk that no one else came close thus she kind of blocked routes into the genre merely because she was so effective. As I got older I simply could not and still don't see the appeal of Diana Krall who was my generations hip singer. So that kind of blocked my search for current artists.

Finally in my late 20s I stumbled across Helen Merrill and the rest as they say is history.....

vanhooserd, Tribute and Lonson like this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Taking a cue from Alan with:

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath

[​IMG]

jay.dee, alankin1, Soulpope and 2 others like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Helen Merrill would enjoy that story and hearing about the rest of the journey (which I hope is still going on, there are so many wonderful singers)

Stu02 likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

From Wiki

"Hot Lips Page has been largely neglected by historians since his death due to mysterious circumstances, but is considered by many to be one of the giants of the Swing Era and one of the founders of what came to be known as rhythm and blues.[1]"

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Page was great. I also love Teagarden and Waller as singers. And Una Mae Carlisle.