Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I'm so glad this was reissued, I had a needle drop of an LP that had seen many better days. This is a beautiful album, and the cd is well mastered.

2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Can you elaborate on that Lonson, I don't know Babs at all and I'm surprised at the Reprise label. ( and I prefer your Duke reviews to allmusic) I also Didn't know Reprise did much jazz (outside of Sinatra of course)

3. Lonson

Reprise/Sinatra offered Duke a platform as producer in 1963 that yielded at least four LPs: one with the Dollar Barnd Trio, one featuring Dollar Brand's then wife Samithea Benjamin, one with the Bud Powell Trio, all three of these recorded in Paris. The fourth album, Serenade to Sweden, was also recorded in Paris. This series of recordings is excellent in my opinion, and gave Duke a reason to hang out in Paris, and with Billy Strayhorn who was then a resident.

Alice Babs started off as a very popular actress in Sweden and as a singer she covered many genres including jazz. Her association with Duke began about the time of this recording, and lasted until his passing. She was featured in his sacred works recordings and performances, and he LOVED her singing. They seemed to be very close and he definitely respected her artistry and sought out her singing.

This record is a very intimate recording that featured Duke and Billy on piano, Parisians Gilbert Rovere and Kenny Clarke were on bass and drums though Sam Woodyard was also on drums, and there is a french horn section (uncredited, probably French!) on some selections. It's a real showcase for the beauty of Babs' voice and the Ellington/Strayhorn material and arrangements; the original recording is excellent, and the remastering of the Real Gone Music cd is also excellent.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks for this it sounds right up my street. I like the smaller Duke ensembles , intimate vocal records and the Parisian jazz scene of that era , ( a perfect storm if you will ) I will check out all of these lps

Edit; Hell im even a big Sinatra fan to boot...

Lonson likes this.
  5. Lonson

I'm not a Sinatra fan, but I'm glad that he gave him this opportunity to produce, and seemingly with little restriction.

6. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Curtis Lundy Purpose
    With Mark Shim on tenor sax and Steve Nelson on vibes.

Soulpope likes this.
  7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Thanks for putting a bug in my ear, I've been listening to Mr. Odman via YouTube since I first saw your post. I started with Autumn in New York as your post suggested and wasn't thoroughly impressed till I started listening to Nommo and Dameronia With Strings. I now think he's so good I'm going to spring for his boxed set!

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I liked Autumn in New York. I thought his band was really good and his style of drumming blended in well with others. I wasn't crazy with the SQ of the album.

Morbius likes this.
  9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Terry GibbsDream Band Vol. 2 — The Sundown Sessions (Contemporary Records)

[​IMG]

Personnel:
    John Audino, Conte Candoli, Frank Higgins, Stu Williamson (trumpet) Bobby Burgess, Vern Friley, Bill Smiley (trombone) Charlie Kennedy, Joe Maini (alto sax) Med Flory, Bill Perkins (tenor sax) Jack Schwartz (baritone sax) Terry Gibbs (vibes) Lou Levy (piano) Buddy Clark (bass) Mel Lewis (drums) Manny Albam, Al Cohn, Bill Holman, Lennie Niehaus, Marty Paich (arrangers)

Includes one CD bonus track. Recorded live at the Sundown, Hollywood in 1959.

vanhooserd likes this.
  10. Lonson

Disc 1. Great stuff.

[​IMG]

11. Lonson

Not jazz! Picked up this box set for 4 dollars from amazon (I think it was a pricing mistake) and am going to give it to my Dad but I'm listening to it first. Disc 2.

[​IMG]

12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Wayne Peet Quartet – Live at Al's Bar (pfMENTUM)
    — Wayne Peet: Organ, Organ Bass; Russell Bizzett: Drums; Nels Cline: Guitar; G.E. Stinson: Guitar, Mangled Recordings; live at Al's Bar, LA; live at Al's Bar in LA in '99.

[​IMG]

jay.dee likes this.
  13. Lonson

Been too long.

[​IMG]

14. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Jesse DavisThe Setup (Alltribe Records)
    — Jesse Davis (alto sax), Peter Bernstein (guitar), Ray Drummond (bass), Donald Edwards (drums)

[​IMG]

Nice one.

RhodesSupremacy and Lonson like this.
  15. Lonson

The SHM-CD
    [​IMG]

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

What a great album (and a great sounding album too). Hard to believe that this sucker is not in print in any form. Anyone know if it is streaming or downloadable anywhere?

[​IMG]

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  17. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

To bad about the SQ. What is it, noise, distortion? Oh well, I'll let you know how it works out.

18. Lonson

Duke Ellington Treasury Series LP Show 30

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I found that the SQ lacked somewhat in dynamics, sort of compressed. It's not terrible, but I was expecting better.

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Maria Muldaur - Richland Woman Blues (Stony Plain)

Someone posted her Bob Dylan tribute and coincidently I pulled this out a few days prior with the intent of playing it on the way to work. It never made it to the car but I'm spinning it now at home. Nice recording of Maria singing old blues songs with a list of superb players like Bonnie Rait, Taj Mahal, Amos Garrett, Alvin Youngblood and Roy Rogers. One of her best recordings from her his century. Her version of It's A Blessing with Bonnie Raitt is practically worth the price of rhe cd. I saw her on the tour for this and she finished her show with an acapella version of the song and you could of heard a pin drop in the room.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

She recorded the title song with Jim Kweskin & The Jug Band in 1966.

22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Marc CoplandAnother Place (Pirouet Records)
    — Marc Copland (piano), John Abercrombie (guitar), Drew Gress (bass), Billy Hart (drums)

[​IMG]

John Abercrombie, 1944-2017, R.I.P.

WorldB3, Mirror Image and Six String like this.
  23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Art Farmer Quartet – Sing Me Softly Of The Blues (Atlantic Records – Warner Japan / EU)
    — With Steve Kuhn, Steve Swallow, Pete LaRoca; tunes by Carla Bley (2), Pete LaRoca (2), a.o.

[​IMG]

Nice sounding edition released a few years ago.

Soulpope, Erik B., Electric and 3 others like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yes, I noticed that straght away. I've had a compilation on Vanguard since the early 70s and while her voice is obviously younger on the Kweskin version I prefer the newer version these days though I still enjoy that double lp. It is chock full of fun from Never Swat A Fly to Beedle Um Bum. With all the reformations that have occurred in recent years I'm surprised the Jim Kweskin Jug Band hasn't followed suit though jug band music isn't exactly the rage these days.

Edit: WP Milt Jackson - Ballads & Blues ((Atlantic) Japanese cd from the 1990s.

NP Hank Jones - My Funny Valentine (Eighty Eight's)
    Solo piano. Hank has a way of making the old standards fresh again with his thorough knowledge of harmony chord substitutions.

25. Lonson

Love "Ballad of Hollis Brown."
    [​IMG]

Erik B. and Crispy Rob like this.