Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

It's amazing what effects can do, including lowering pitch.

dzhason likes this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I do have the new quartet album- Passin Thru. Phenomenal and my favorite record of the year so far.

Morbius and alamo54us like this.
  3. You're not alone. I love the music (I've got the "Pure Audio" blu-ray), but I watched the movie on TCM not long ago, and really got nothing from it, other than I love the music.

Lonson likes this.
  4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Ike Quebec - Blue And Sentimental (Blue Note) first issue cd.
    Ah the good ol' days when cds were made from the analog masters. :cool:

dzhason and vanhooserd like this.
  5. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

I can't think of a Lloyd album I don't enjoy. My first purchase was in the 70's, when I picked up Warm Waters (still not available on CD) because I was intrigued by the line up, which included Dave Mason and various Beach Boys. He's one of my favorites. I've never seen Lloyd live, but that's on my bucket list.

avanti1960 likes this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yes. I don't have a few of the early ones but I do have the first album and I believe the second but I'd have to check my vinyl shelf to confirm but he is one of the really consistent jazz musicians. His playing on many Chico Hamilton albums, several that include Gabor Szabo are excellent as well.

Lonson likes this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Uri Caine Trio - Live At the Village Vanguard (Winter & Winter)
    W/ Drew Gress and Ben Perowsky on bass and drums respectively.
    It's hard to pass up any album recorded at the VV, expecially an artist you know. Something brings out the best in artists.

alankin1 likes this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

My wife and I lived in Brooklyn for about 3 years, and we moved away a little over three years ago. Our twins were born not too long after we moved there and life became much busier, so I didn't get much record shopping in while we were there. Seems like most of the record stores I visited were in Williamsburg: Academy, Earwax, Permanent, and Record Grouch are ones I remember. Oddly, even though I've been into jazz for about as long as I've been collecting records (until recently, though, I mostly bought music on CD and only occasionally bought vinyl) I never bought much jazz on vinyl (again, until recently). So, I wasn't really looking much for jazz when visiting these shops; I'd say all of them probably have some jazz (maybe Academy would be your best shot being the largest shop) but none were jazz focused shops. There was another shop in Park Slope called Music Matters that I went to several times, it was pretty small but they had vinyl, seems like maybe a bin or two of jazz IIRC; I got a 6-lp box set of Fela Kuti there actually.

Stu02 likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Academy Records

Stu02 likes this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Donald Byrd - Free Form

[​IMG]

11. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I've been adding to my Andrew Hill collection and received this one yesterday. The two bass line up is interesting, and I always enjoy Roy Haynes but I find Smokestack to be a bit of a mixed bag.

12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Stick with it; it's something of a tough nugget, but ultimately well worth it.

alamo54us likes this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have Andrew Hill's first six Blue Note lps and I find something to like about all of them and wouldn't part with any of them. Prices being what they are these days I would be careful to recommend all six to anyone but I like them all.

WP Blue Mitchell - Blue's Moods (Riverside) SHM cd

NP Miles Complete Plugged Nickel (Sony Legacy) disc 3

Blue is someone I have rediscovered and furthered my appreciation with since being on this board. I owned a few of his early lps on Blue Note and Riverside but didn't really start focusing on him until people here started posting a bunch of his titles. I'm enjoying the journey.

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

if the live at monterrey LP "forest flower" is any indication, you would be in for a really great concert.

15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Enrico RavaThe Words & The Days (ECM Records)
    — Enrico Rava - trumpet; Gianluca Petrella - trombone; Andrea Pozza - piano; Rosario Bonaccorso - bass; Roberto Gatto - drums

[​IMG]

Six String likes this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Back to the west coast.... again... Bud before his "pop" phase - he plays lovely alto and flute work here but Claude Williamson on piano pulls this record together for me...
    [​IMG]

17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I love pretty much everything Woody does but his mid 70s stuff is very intense and passionate particularly this one...it's a pretty big band w billy Harper on tenor and Rene McLean on soprano and alto ( yes the son of that other McLean) and Joe Bonner on piano who wrote the title track
    This is a Woody on fire record but in a less then great cover...[​IMG]

markp and Six String like this.
  18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Jaki Byard - On the Spot!

[​IMG]

I've had this vague memory of listening to a new jazz musician named Jackie (or Jaki) sometime about 6 years ago (just prior to the birth of my twins) and not being into them at all. When I say new, I mean a musician that was new to me at the time. I thought it was Jackie McLean at first, but then I've since gotten a bunch of his albums that I love. Then I was sure it was Jaki Byard, On the Spot!, in particular; I saw this album in my iTunes library the other day and it was added in the time frame I mentioned above, but I'm listening now and I'm loving this album, can't really imagine how I wouldn't have liked it. I noticed there are a couple other Jackie McLean albums in my iTunes library that were added around this time. Now I have to listen to them soon so that I can either find the culprit or lay this memory to rest as either being faulty.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Soulpope and Six String like this.
  19. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Byard plays great on those two Booker Ervin albums I just picked up, Freedom Book and Space Book. I'm keeping my eye out for some Byard as a leader now. Also really liked Alan Dawson, who was someone I'd never noticed before.

20. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

If you have the time or inclination, take the train or bus to Princeton Record Exchange in Princeton NJ. I've not been recently but generally it is a great store.

Stu02 likes this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Cool, I don't have any Booker Ervin in my collection, yet, but I have listened to a little bit of one or two of the Book albums. One of them I specifically remember as being in the free territory, which I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess was The Freedom Book. I'll have to put some Booker on this week, steaming style, on the kitchen Sonos (since I got the Sonos several months ago, kitchen duties have become a lot more enjoyable, and the house a lot quieter as I'm not trying to blast music from my main system in the living room so that I can hear it in the kitchen).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Jaki Byard is or was one of the most complete pianists in jazz when he was around. He could essentially play the history of jazz through those 88 keys. Stride, modern, inside, outside, nothing was too tall an order for the man. I was fortunate to be at the recording of his Maybeck solo concert, part of a series Concord started. On of something like 28-30 pianists answered the call I believe but don't quote me on the number. Jaki was number seventeen. He played one or two songs twice for recording sake but otherwise it was a straight up performance and one I'll never forget. A friend I was with tried to get Jaki to go to dinner with us when it was over (it started around 4 pm on Sunday) but of course Concord's president was there and had other plans for Jaki so we missed out on that. However at the restaurant none other than Spaulding Grey was there and somehow the woman who tried to get Jaki to accompany us managed to say something to Spaulding that riled him. She was a bit of a firecracker and I don't remember the details but it was quite an evening regardless.
    Those Booker albums with Jaki are superb. Anytime you get Byard with Richard Davis and Alan Dawson together sparks will fly and I'm talking music not anger. Most of my Byard is on vinyl but I do have that Jaki Byard Experience and Out Front! on cd and both are excellent.
    Any of Ervin's "Book" albums are worthy as well. My favorites are the two already memtioned by Alamo54us but they are all worth seeking out. A few were reissued on vinyl by Analogue Productions if vinyl is your game.

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've had this on heavy rotation at Che String for a few weeks.

NP Jessica Williams - Jazz In The Afternoon (Candid)
    Live trio recording at a college in Oregon and it's a barn burner. Who said jazz musicians couldn't function during the day? They forget to tell these musicians.

24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have a few of the Booker lp releases from AP that Six String refers to and the sound and music are unmatched. Unfortunately I think you are definitely going to be in the market for another record shelving unit after all...

dzhason likes this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Dawson was a graeat drummer, and a teacher of young Tony Williams.

alankin1 likes this.