Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Welcome to the thread guidedbyvoices! Les (six string) put it well. Looking forward to your impressions and expressions. I've learned a lot from new listeners even though I've been listening to jazz for five decades plus. a new perspective yields interesting insight. Keep us posted!

PS: Love that Dexter, can't go wrong with that rhythm trio behind him!

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I'd second SixString's recommendation on the Music Matter's reissue of Midnight Blue. I picked it up in the late spring or early summer and it is great. Also, if you like guitar, they have have a great reissue of Grant Green's Idle Moments (another guitar classic). You mentioned Jeff Parker earlier, I'm a huge fan, love his stuff with Tortoise, Isotope 217, Chicago Underground, and Brian Blade Fellowship as well as his solo/trio recordings. I'm going to have to put on something of his again soon. Several years ago when we lived in Brookly, my wife and I had tickets to go see him play with Jeff Ballard's Fairgrounds at the Village Vanguard. Unfortunately, Hurricane Sandy happened the week before the show and it was cancelled. On the bright side, I've seen him live numerous times with Tortoise and once with Nicole Mitchell performing as a duo.

Roger Thornhill and NapalmBrain like this.
  3. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Finally got to see Tortoise last year, my favorite Jeff Parker is "like coping" outside of his work with Tortoise

dzhason likes this.
  4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Howdy and welcome! That's a good one, probably my first Dexter Gordon album, and "Scrapple from the Apple" is definitely one of at least 15 tunes in my top 5 Bird tunes. I went through a huge Bird phase that lasted several years but I don't really listen to him as often now. However, when I do, I enjoy his tunes like no other; at least for me, I feel like his melodies and solos flow perfectly such that it sounds like he's literally talking (singing rather) despite the lack of actual words. Of course, he's not the only one who I feel can do this, but I often find myself giggling out loud in pure joy when listening to what Bird is saying. (Which is not to say that I don't enjoy the others as much, but somehow Bird has this uncanny ability to make me feel all giddy).

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Jackie McLean - Destination... out! (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and Six String like this.
  6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Those Jackie McLean albums are some of my favorite Music Matters/Blue Notes, both musically and sonically. Do you also have Grachan Moncur's Evolution? They go together.

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That makes sense. I guess I was focusing on the Fahey jazz with the other jazz guitarists you mentioned which is why I seemed perplexed. Carry on! :D

8. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I was searching around the innerwebs for info on Miles Davis' recording of On Green Dolphin Street and I stumbled across this video on YouTube, it's sweet

9. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Welcome! Great selection by Dexter Gordon!

BTW, some of us jazz fans are also longtime, dedicated Guided By Voices fans too. :) Being from Ohio, I luckily caught some really great shows starting with the classic lineup in the early 90's.

Stu02 and guidedbyvoices like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bennie Maupin - The Jewel In The Lotus (ECM) cd 2007 edition.
    I love this album. My neck issue is really speakingto me and I forgot to take my pain pill at the usual time because I woke up ahead of the time to take it and did my three mile walk before I realized my error and now I'm paying for it.
    It will take a while for the narcotic to work effectively so I need some real chill out music at the moment to keep the nerves calmed down. This music is doing the job of takng my mind off of it.

On my walk today I listened to All Things Must Pass, the HDTracks version on my Pono for the first time in many moons and it was sounding really great. I enjoyed the demos/alt. takes tacked on the end. No Apple Jam for me. I'm not real fond of those sides in general and besides my walk was over before they arrived. I can't remember if it was remoxed or not but the imaging worked well with headphones. That's still my favorite solo Beatle album.

alamo54us likes this.
  11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I don't and it's funny you say that because, when I was listening earlier, I was thinking that Grachan could quite possibly be my favorite part of those Jackie albums and that I need to get some of his albums at some point. I know MM did Evolution, and there was also another of his albums that I added to my wantlist on Discogs a while back, New Africa, after seeing it either on this thread or on the jazz beat thread.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Hal McKusick - Triple Exposure (Prestige) cd of 1957 recordings.
    Starting to feel a little better now.

dzhason likes this.
  13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I love bird too. I thought dexter does a really great job with it. Birds a tough one to cover and live up to!

dzhason likes this.
  14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I don't necessarily mean to lead you further down the MM rabbit hole, but Evolution is excellent and very much of a piece with the dates under McLean's name. These are three of my favorites.

dzhason likes this.
  15. guidedbyvoices

I love Tortoise, especially TNT, I’ve seen them a few times live. They came to my small town last year and are still excellent. I need to branch out and check out Parker’s solo stuff.

dzhason likes this.
  16. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

also this album Directions - Directions In Music has ex-tortoise and one of my favorite drummers doug scharin from june of 44/codeine lineage. Very thrill jockey sounding jazz/post-rock

dzhason and guidedbyvoices like this.
  17. Lonson

Recent talk of Lloyd and Stenson made me pull out the only one I have of him as a leader:

Bobo Stenson, "Cantando," ECM. I like it. . . probably should get some more of his as a leader, there's recommendations to follow in this thread. . . .

[​IMG]

markp likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

In my world all of Bobo's albums are required. I wouldn't want to do without any of them.

Lonson likes this.
  19. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Newest addition to my AH collection. I liked this one straight away, and love the instrumentation. This and Compulsion may be my favorites so far.

vanhooserd, Archtop, AaronW and 2 others like this.
  20. Lonson

Since I share the same atmosphere and gravity, I better get busy. . . ;)

21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

You mentioned Apple Music earlier, I use it a lot too to test the waters on stuff I'm not familiar with yet. You can find a lot of Jeff Parker's work outside of Tortoise on there.

I don't know what my favorite is, his trio/quartet albums as a leader are all great, much more jazz oriented (although Like-coping goes a little more in the avant-garde or free direction at times than the other two, The Relatives and Bright Light in Winter. Oh he has two fairly recently released albums I picked up not too long ago that I didn't include their because they feel a little less like jazz albums than the previous three: Slight Freedom [Recorded live, it's just Jeff playing solo using loop pedals for support] and The New Breed [I believe this is a Quartet mostly but doesn't sound so much like a jazz quartet despite having a cool version of Bobby Hutcherson's "Visions"]).

Isotope 217 is more like Tortoise in feel but with a little more Miles' On the Corner era band injected (at least, the last time I listened to the two "Ife" versions from the Miles In Concert and Big Fun albums, I felt like there was a clear connection between them).

There are other more jazz-like settings he's recorded in that I find are also great, w/Fred Anderson (e.g. Back at the Velvet Lounge) and w/Chicago Underground Trio/Quartet (Possible Cube, Flamethrower, & Chicago Underground Quartet albums) to throw out s couple.

I believe I've seen pretty much all of these on Apple Music. Sorry, for throwing out all these suggestions, I just dig the guy's music.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    jay.dee and lschwart like this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Charlie Parker - The Complete Savoy & Dial Master Takes (Disc 1)

[​IMG]

Talking about Bird earlier got me in the mood to listen to some. For all these years I've felt like this (along with one Verve compilation called Confirmation: The best of the Verve Years) was all the Bird I needed, but I decided to order the Complete Dial Sessions 4xCD set today.

Six String, Jackie P, markp and 2 others like this.
  23. guidedbyvoices

Elvin Jones and Bobby Hutcherson , that’s a great combination! I’ll have to check this one out.

dzhason likes this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yeah, this is a great one, my Hill collection is rather small, at only two items, so I can say with absolute certainty that this is one of my faves. Yet another to throw on the play stack, so much music so little time.

Archtop likes this.
  25. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

And Richard Davis, one of my favorite bass players.

dzhason likes this.